Diesel Cruiser Stranded at 12,000 ft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually, I think I may be set. Breckenridge is going to show me firsthand what I should try out this afternoon on a diagram of the engine compartment. Then a friend with a modern FJ is going to take me up this evening to give it a go. If that doesn't work out, I'll hit you up and see if it is close enough for you to lend a hand. Or, if you want to join us tonight just for kicks, PM me and I'll see if you are near our route. Thanks Glacierskier!

A 214 low on fuel and a cold day could haul you out , but most likely a sky crane job. I wish I was closer , I would come give you a hand. I grew up working on diesels, they all are very similar in the way they function. Although I will add I have 0 Toyota Diesel experience . I'm praying nobody screws with your baby !!!

I hope you get that thing out safe and sound, let us know how it plays out.

Get up there ASAP and get it out before someone else does. I would ask around in the chat forum maybe you could get a few cruisers to help you tow it out.

Pay a sharp mechanic whatever it takes to get him to go up and resolve the issue with you. I'd have a second vehicle in the flatlands on cell phone ready to run parts to you if needed.

Good luck mate.

Parke,

Hopefully its out by now. You are in good hands with Kraig.

About that "All I can say is-get your truck out of their asap!!! ... They can pillaged and used as target practice. ... do whatever it takes to get it out" consider that to the casual passer by there is no difference between a ":non-starting BJ" and a "parked by an overnight hiker BJ." If you are fearful of pillaging at 12,000 ft here in the CO Rockies, you'll never park her again for an overnight backpack.

Some bad advice thrown out here.

Warning never use ether on a 3B....... yes semis use it in extreme cold conditions difference is the 3B has 20:1 compression were a semi is way less compression.

The mission was a success!!! The gal is now safe at home. Save a helluvalotta bird crap, she appears untouched. I chatted with Kraig and Robbie (local cruiser mechanic in Boulder) this afternoon, and Kraig showed me on some pieces of a different engine where to look for the EDIC arm and limit screw that sets the minimum amount of fuel. When I got up there, I leaned the mixture down a bunch and disconnected the EDIC arm (figured better to start lean and work my way to rich rather than flood the engine right at the get go). In the interest of time, since it was getting dark, I used a bit of ether and didn't bother glowing. On the first try (there was still plenty of battery charge), she almost caught. I richened the mixture a bit, gave her another go, and that was it!

Warning never use ether on a 3B....... yes semis use it in extreme cold conditions difference is the 3B has 20:1 compression were a semi is way less compression.
Well, too late now. I used a very small amount. Hopefully I didn't do any damage. The engine sounds fine to my novice ear -- no pinging or missing. Someone in Denver who owns a 3B adamantly encouraged ether. Maybe he has just been lucky that he hasn't damaged his 3B so far?

The gal persists in idling high, so I think the problem is more systemic than just "altitude." The idle was still at 1000 rpm soon after I started her up, then dropped only to about 800 back at ~5000'. I'm going to see if maybe some of the local gurus will have some beers and a look under the hood with me to show me what is what and help me diagnose the high idle before I attempt another backcountry expedition.

About that "All I can say is-get your truck out of their asap!!! ... They can pillaged and used as target practice. ... do whatever it takes to get it out" consider that to the casual passer by there is no difference between a ":non-starting BJ" and a "parked by an overnight hiker BJ."

I know, I've been pondering this Daniel. While this rig is great, it is of little use to me, who gives two-foot travel precedence over four-wheeled travel, if leaving it at a trailhead causes me anxiety. Either I have to hope people in general won't mess with it so long as I only leave it for a night or two, or I need a new solution to getting to seldom visited places. I have good insurance, so I'm not terribly worried of the financial consequences, but I'm sure most on this forum would have difficulty forgiving me if I got an LX vandalized. In general, I hope the trailheads I'll use will be so far out of the way that few mischievous 4x4ers will ever see the old girl. Maybe I'll stick to National Parks. I'm tempted to post a sign to the effect of "Don't mess with my vehicle. I'm in the wilderness, returning soon, and you will strand me," but I'm not sure if that would make people more or less likely to mess with it.

Well, thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!! I had many people contact me to offer to personally assist me in getting her started or towing her out, and I am very grateful for that showing of altruism. I'm glad this ended happily and relatively easily (though I am a bit sad I couldn't find an excuse to helicopter the Cruiser out).

Whew!! That had me on the edge of my seat.
Perhaps you should buy a beater Taco to get you to trail heads (4cyl, single cab with an OME suspension)? Then keep the 40 for trips when you won't be leaving it alone for extended periods. Sadly I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving your 40 (or any of mine) unattended for very long.

Glad to hear that all worked out mate for you and the LX

I don't wish to start an argument, but if you use an aerosol, don't use the glow plugs and use only a whiff, there is very little chance of damaging the engine. The issue comes when (and I have seen this done) people empty half the can into the intake and attempt to start as usual. Next thing they've got a bent con-rod.

In fact ether was canned and sold for diesel engines dating well back before low compression turbo diesel engines.
Parke happy to hear you got it out in one piece. I would do some homework regarding a turbo for the 3B :)

Last edited:
Nice to know that your truck is out of trouble and you sound relieved....

This was a very strange situation...there must be something wrong with your injection pump, I have seen these B series engines work perfectly fine above 12000 feet and at 16000 feet as well....

Any ways, as the nightmare is over do you have any pics or video...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom