Did you ride today? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been a minute since I rode Skeggs. The last time was a few years ago, in the pouring rain. A Midpen Ranger jumped out at us with a radar gun and had us going >15mph (I guess there was a speed limit). Luckily, I had my Idaho Driver's License so I played innocent and got off with a warning. I haven't been back since which is too bad since I love Skeggs. I like climbing up Resolution and looking for old nuts and bolts from the plane crash.

This time with some pro cyclocross riders here in the desert training…. They are, let’s just say, fast as fück… nice to be moving through my recovery in an active way.
Isn't that funny how you ride alot and think your so fast and fit, then a couple a&& hole professionals come along and bring you back down to earth so fast...😅

Beautiful day out. Unfortunately springtime beautiful doesn’t always = great ride.. all that work building a trail covered in tons of fresh snow. Had a good short run where it was packed by the road tho.
You can feel that freeze thaw conditions starting to creep in. Hopefully I catch some good hard pack quick trails soon but happy to move back to the rocks and dirt.
IMG_5960.png
IMG_5959.png
IMG_5959.png

Isn't that funny how you ride alot and think your so fast and fit, then a couple a&& hole professionals come along and bring you back down to earth so fast...😅
Absolutely. I and some friends wanted to see if we could climb Alpe d'Huez as fast as the slowest sprinter in the tour that year. Blame it on the previous night's Michelin stars (or not), but we did not achieve our lowly goal.

What are you go to XC routes in SATX? if you dont mind sharing? cheers!
I don't mind at all. I'll shred any of these places with you if you ever want to put a tire on them. Except Government Canyon. F that.

Best technical stuff is both sides of 1604 at Salado Creek Trailhead ~15 miles, 20 if you go looking, of amazing dirt/rock awesomeness. My go-to. If you're into rock climbing (like with ropes and harnesses, not knobbies) there's a semi famous spot in here called Medicine Wall. And if you can't leave your job but have to train for Leadville, well, you're out of luck, but there are some powerline climbs accessible from here that are about as good as you're gonna get for that kind of stuff.

There is no consistent, sustained flow anywhere. But next best system is the Leon Creek Greenway from the trailhead at 10/1604 (behind the Drury hotel). Pretty flat, but it's in and out of a deep creek bed with some hills as you get farther south. You can find a few 2-4 minute climbs here. Technical in places and pure fun in the rest. ~20 miles of 1° track. AND it accesses the back of OP Schnabel Park, which is hilly, pretty, gnarly in places, and funfun. OP has a jump spot, if you're into that. Prob another 12 miles of single track at OP. And if you ride from here your non-riding crew can hang out at the Rim or La Cantera, both of which are in javelin/slingshot range. (Fiesta Texas, too, if they're theme park people)

Good trails for everyone at Macallister Park. ~25 miles available there. You can find challenging stuff in there, but mostly easy trails. (A jump spot and asphalt pump track, too). Lots of people usually. Prob the place where the most people ride the most. For me, it beats not riding, but meh.

There are some enduro trails on the hills right behind Eisenhower Park. Don't mind the "do not enter" signs in the back (except for riding IN the park. Don't do that except on the paved greenway path)

Government Canyon State Natural Area: prob the only other big bike place close-in. Not that there is anything groomed or jump-ish out there, but there are a couple decent length descents whose rocks will beat the fluck out of you on an XC bike. Not sure how many miles. I count bruises instead: 8-9 per session.

There's a secret spot owned by the city called Rancho Diana that could be developed by parks dept into the best mtb riding spot between Palo Duro Canyon State Park (near Amarillo: superb trails in the 2d largest canyon in the USA) and Monterrey MX, but so far that hasn't happened. Big hills, trees, acres f'days -- it's huge. But no ridey there.

SATX also claims Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort. It's 45 mins from the place I would live if I didn't live in Nova Scrota (note that pretty much every other place mentioned here is 20 mins or less from wherever you are in SA, which does not suffer from the things that are s***ty in Austin: traffic mostly. Except right now due to construction at 10/1604). Jimmy Driess owns FRR and has built an awesome trail network up and down the big hills on the ranch. It's pay admission, though (except Wednesday eves). 35-40 miles of xc singletrack w/some decent enduro runs. Ppl travel serious distances to ride this place. Bring your lungs.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all. I'll shred any of these places with you if you ever want to put a tire on them. Except Government Canyon. F that.

Best technical stuff is both sides of 1604 at Salado Creek Trailhead ~15 miles, 20 if you go looking, of amazing dirt/rock awesomeness. My go-to. If you're into rock climbing (like with ropes and harnesses, not knobbies) there's a semi famous spot in here called Medicine Wall. And if you can't leave your job but have to train for Leadville, well, you're out of luck, but there are some powerline climbs accessible from here that are about as good as you're gonna get for that kind of stuff.

There is no consistent, sustained flow anywhere. But next best system is the Leon Creek Greenway from the trailhead at 10/1604 (behind the Drury hotel). Pretty flat, but it's in and out of a deep creek bed with some hills as you get farther south. You can find a few 2-4 minute climbs here. Technical in places and pure fun in the rest. ~20 miles of 1° track. AND it accesses the back of OP Schnabel Park, which is hilly, pretty, gnarly in places, and funfun. OP has a jump spot, if you're into that. Prob another 12 miles of single track at OP. And if you ride from here your non-riding crew can hang out at the Rim or La Cantera, both of which are in javelin/slingshot range. (Fiesta Texas, too, if they're theme park people)

Good trails for everyone at Macallister Park. ~25 miles available there. You can find challenging stuff in there, but mostly easy trails. (A jump spot and asphalt pump track, too). Lots of people usually. Prob the place where the most people ride the most. For me, it beats not riding, but meh.

There are some enduro trails on the hills right behind Eisenhower Park. Don't mind the "do not enter" signs in the back (except for riding IN the park. Don't do that except on the paved greenway path)

Government Canyon State Natural Area: prob the only other big bike place close-in. Not that there is anything groomed or jump-ish out there, but there are a couple decent length descents whose rocks will beat the fluck out of you on an XC bike. Not sure how many miles. I count bruises instead: 8-9 per session.

There's a secret spot owned by the city called Rancho Diana that could be developed by parks dept into the best mtb riding spot between Palo Duro Canyon State Park (near Amarillo: superb trails in the 2d largest canyon in the USA) and Monterrey MX, but so far that hasn't happened. Big hills, trees, acres f'days -- it's huge. But no ridey there.

SATX also claims Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort. It's 45 mins from the place I would live if I didn't live in Nova Scrota (note that pretty much every other place mentioned here is 20 mins or less from wherever you are in SA, which does not suffer from the things that are s***ty in Austin: traffic mostly. Except right now due to construction at 10/1604). Jimmy Driess owns FRR and has built an awesome trail network up and down the big hills on the ranch. It's pay admission, though (except Wednesday eves). 35-40 miles of xc singletrack w/some decent enduro runs. Ppl travel serious distances to ride this place. Bring your lungs.
awesome thanks for sharing!

Ive been to flat rock a couple of times and hope to be back out soon although i wont be making it to TMBRA next month. Ive always been curious about the trailhead behind the Drury on 10/1604, although like you mentioned I hear Salado is a bit more spicy.

Call me crazy but it looks like Govt Canyon is probably going to be my next stop before the others haha. im on a hard tail too so should be interesting and bumpy. Have you ever been out to Hill Country State Natural Area near Bandera? looks interesting too!

hopefully we will see some more riding oportunities soon in the area!

thanks again for sharing!

awesome thanks for sharing!

Ive been to flat rock a couple of times and hope to be back out soon although i wont be making it to TMBRA next month. Ive always been curious about the trailhead behind the Drury on 10/1604, although like you mentioned I hear Salado is a bit more spicy.

Call me crazy but it looks like Govt Canyon is probably going to be my next stop before the others haha. im on a hard tail too so should be interesting and bumpy. Have you ever been out to Hill Country State Natural Area near Bandera? looks interesting too!

hopefully we will see some more riding oportunities soon in the area!

thanks again for sharing!
Bandera is a big, pretty place. It's more equestrian oriented than any of the other systems I discussed. Some trails out there are good, but most aren't. I wouldn't make the drive unless you've got something else to do out there (there's a pretty sweet shooting range that you have to drive past to get to the natural area from the town of bandera)

Bandera is a big, pretty place. It's more equestrian oriented than any of the other systems I discussed. Some trails out there are good, but most aren't. I wouldn't make the drive unless you've got something else to do out there (there's a pretty sweet shooting range that you have to drive past to get to the natural area from the town of bandera)
good to know! thanks for the tips!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom