Did I make a bad decision? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I am new here so go easy on me. I recently bought a 2004 4runner with 65k miles through a friend that is a dealer. He said the rust wasn't too bad on it. When we got the car I took a look underneath and this is what I found. My wife and I wanted to get an older project car as our first car. Did I make a mistake by buying this? Would this be worth repairing?

It seems like the frame rust isn't awful, I could probably take a wire wheel to it one weekend and throw some paint over it to fix that up. My concern is the radiator mount bracket, as you can see it looks pretty bad especially on the left side. It was previously a northern car and I live in FL so I don't think it will get too much worse but I'd like to hear some other opinions since its giving me a lot of anxiety and I'm starting to lose sleep at night over it.

IMG-8976.jpg
IMG-8970.jpg
IMG-8949.jpg
IMG-8947.jpg
IMG-8948.jpg

i can see by the inspection sticker that this was a New York truck... The rad support looks pretty bad but from what I can see the frame isn't horrible, if you have some time and a welder it can be patched up, prepped, treated, and will last a while longer in Florida.

Several options I would look at doing. The frame may clean up nicely with a good pressure washer then allowed to dry. Then spray some of the acid type rust kill on it and let it cure overnight. Come back the next day and rattle can some rubbery undercoating. The rad support looks like the GX470 we have. That'll take some time to work out but if you are feeling froggy you can get all the measurements that needs replacing and fab it out of aluminum. Have it welded and bolt it in.

Have a look inside the boxed frame. Pics if you can from in there.

That front radiator support looks terrible (also looks as if the PO hit something?), but as noted it can be repaired/replaced. For the frame, I'd take a pick or very small screwdriver and see how deep the rust is - can you poke all the way through the frame? If not, clean and treat it, use some Rust Bullet or POR15, and carry on. If your pick does go through, start saving for bare steel and a welder (or to take it to someone).

It almost seems trivial, but with that rust, removing nuts and bolts is going to be a major PITA - several will likely snap. If you're ok extracting them, get yourself a gallon or more of Kroil.

Seems you got a deal? As a former Rust Belt citizen, I wouldn't touch this one when there are so many others out there. High mileage w/ maintenance done and no rust is always 1000 times better than low miles and rust.

Hopefully the friend gave you a good deal on the truck. It is super low mileage. I would take a scrapper or something similar and knock off the loose spots on the frame. then wire brush the frame or use those poly brushes for the drill from HF. Then use the rust restorer primer and paint the frame with chassis paint (not undercoating). The rad support, I would cut one out of a junk yard truck and weld it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom