Did I make a bad decision on my purchase? Not even sure I should post this here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@94LC80 I agree with a lot in this thread but agree with NCFJ the most. I bought an 80 back in 2014 before the boom. I paid $5000 ( a lot at the time) for a great cosmetic/ about average mechanical condition 96 lx450 w/out lockers. People would beat the door down for that deal today. There are still deals to be had, but the triple locked super clean cruiser for less than $5K days are mostly over. They are the exception, not the rule and its usually some "my cousin's step brother had no idea what he had type of deal".

I shop for cruisers everyday (mostly because I'm a cruiser nerd, but my wife wants an 80 of her own) and have for the last 4-5 years. I think I have a good idea on pricing. The clean locked ones under $10K go fast, like really fast. I've spent round $4k on maintenance. Some necessary, a lot was preventative maintenance. The 80s are not without their issues, but they are built to a very high level. It does cost to bring any 20 year old vehicle up to snuff. When i'm done with lockers, gears, suspension and the other odds and ends I'll have close to $20K into it. Well worth it TO ME. What's the alternative ( for the average guy, not us crazies on mud)? A $40,000 4runner with 10grand worth of accessories? I love the 80 and it has less issues and goes down the road significantly better than my Jeep w/ 60,000 miles. I hope you enjoy it. Don't get scared off. Lots of info and help on this forum once you get past all the web wheelers. They are great vehicles and are worth the cost of admission. Also, remember the numbers I'm throwing out will be a lot less if you are not obsessive like most of us/ don't want a full build out.

I bought this because my 2006 Yukon Denali XL won't go anywhere without getting stuck. I have a friend who just bought a '18 Rubicon and then put another $8k in wheels and tires. I asked him if when I get mine ready to role if he want's to go with and his response was "Hell No, don't want to get it scratched". I was thinking what is the point.

I don't every see myself out doing hardcore rock crawling but I want a vehicle that I can take places most of the people can't go or won't go to be able to camp and fish, knowing I don't have another human soul within miles of me. That may sound ridiculous but this is the reason I bought it.

I bought this because my 2006 Yukon Denali XL won't go anywhere without getting stuck. I have a friend who just bought a '18 Rubicon and then put another $8k in wheels and tires. I asked him if when I get mine ready to role if he want's to go with and his response was "Hell No, don't want to get it scratched". I was thinking what is the point.

I don't every see myself out doing hardcore rock crawling but I want a vehicle that I can take places most of the people can't go or won't go to be able to camp and fish, knowing I don't have another human soul within miles of me. That may sound ridiculous but this is the reason I bought it.
Then you have the right one. Baseline it and get out there! Its clique, but most people would be amazed at how capable a stock 80 is. You'll lean what you need with time. Don't get overloaded with all the info out there.

How the hell do you put $8K into wheels and tires? Aside from that, the "I don't want to get it scratched" attitude is common. Lots of people with four wheel drive rigs would never take it off the pavement for fear of getting it scratched or dirty. Yet they put on lifts, winches, tires, lights, etc. I don't get it. Real common among people with newer Jeeps. Actually, I kinda get that. I wouldn't want to damage my unpaid for $40K+ rig either. But there are people on this forum that would also fall into that category as well. And while I don't get it, they can do whatever they want with their rigs. And down the road, there will be lots of built up rigs that were never taken off the pavement. Just like so many of the 80 series rigs that we so enjoy.

How the hell do you put $8K into wheels and tires? Aside from that, the "I don't want to get it scratched" attitude is common. Lots of people with four wheel drive rigs would never take it off the pavement for fear of getting it scratched or dirty. Yet they put on lifts, winches, tires, lights, etc. I don't get it. Real common among people with newer Jeeps. Actually, I kinda get that. I wouldn't want to damage my unpaid for $40K+ rig either. But there are people on this forum that would also fall into that category as well. And while I don't get it, they can do whatever they want with their rigs. And down the road, there will be lots of built up rigs that were never taken off the pavement. Just like so many of the 80 series rigs that we so enjoy.

Truth. Majority of new truck owners are like that. The first scratch really hurts, but once you get that out of the way then everything gets easier. It's all about the mindset, and i get it -- 4 wheeling is not for everyone.

I bought a 2016 JKUR, ended up with a black, even if told myself no more black. Folks around me with their "more experienced" rigs were amused that i brought a fresh shiny black jeep for the inevitable pinstriping (midwest trail life). Tell me, would you take your nice new truck on this trail?

Since my wife dailies the jeep, i spend a lot of time getting back the paint in decent shape (pinstripes on black is just a PITA and looks horrible!). But it gets tiring so i did what i did and got a white FZJ80! Even for 20+ yrs old, the paint was so pristine -- never been offroad. So I still shed a tear on my first pinstriping trail ride.

Truth. Majority of new truck owners are like that. The first scratch really hurts, but once you get that out of the way then everything gets easier. It's all about the mindset, and i get it -- 4 wheeling is not for everyone.

I bought a 2016 JKUR, ended up with a black, even if told myself no more black. Folks around me with their "more experienced" rigs were amused that i brought a fresh shiny black jeep for the inevitable pinstriping (midwest trail life). Tell me, would you take your nice new truck on this trail?

Since my wife dailies the jeep, i spend a lot of time getting back the paint in decent shape (pinstripes on black is just a PITA and looks horrible!). But it gets tiring so i did what i did and got a white FZJ80! Even for 20+ yrs old, the paint was so pristine -- never been offroad. So I still shed a tear on my first pinstriping trail ride.

The white is single stage paint so it can be brought back/ corrected easily.

I want a vehicle that I can take places most of the people can't go or won't go to be able to camp and fish, knowing I don't have another human soul within miles of me. That may sound ridiculous but this is the reason I bought it.

This is the reason most of us buy 80s.
A basically stock 80 with all terrain tires and lockers will achieve this with ease with out any need to spend thousands on lifts, wheels, barwork etc.

He bought custom AF Wheels and 35x12.50x22 tires. It goes quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom