Dexron ATF Power steering fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATF is very thin with a reddish color. Just ask for Dexron ATF, the cheap stuff is fine. You can always go to some super expensive synthetic stuff later if you want but it's a waste of money IMO.
I'm getting ready to flush/fill my power steering fluid. This info was very helpful. I wasn't sure if i should use standard or synthetic ATF. Thanks again for the help.

Up on this gold thread. I have a question on flushing the power steering fluid in our 100 series, anyone tried this flush method:

I clean reservoir screen first time, if needed.

Very easy job, once reservoir cleaned.

Head hurts trying to find what to do :bang:.
This is what the OM states......
1600471302176.png

Can I use Valvoline Full Synthetic ATF to flush my power steering system?
1600471077815.png

1600471397292.png

OR

1600472001884.png

1600472032611.png

OR

Last edited:
1600472187434.png

1600472193315.png

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
All, just to throw in some anecdotal evidence on the subject: I recently had front end gone through and refreshed including new steering rack. My mechanic friend filled PS reservoir with generic PS fluid. Car felt tight when I first picked it up but I attributed this to new ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, sway bar bracket and bushings, and control arm bushings. However after a week or two I started getting very hard resistance when turning at 9 and 3 o’clock. Whether truck was cold, hot, slow, highway speeds—was like cement at those positions. I pulled reservoir and soaked and cleaned with Dawn. Then flushed the PS lines with about a quart and a half of Valvoline synthetic ATF. The old PS fluid was dark like coca-cola and it had only been in there for maybe 500 miles and a month or two. Steering is smooth as butter now. Hopefully this holds up long term. I’ll probably flush it again before the year’s over. But thanks to Mud for the info.

All, just to throw in some anecdotal evidence on the subject: I recently had front end gone through and refreshed including new steering rack. My mechanic friend filled PS reservoir with generic PS fluid. Car felt tight when I first picked it up but I attributed this to new ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, sway bar bracket and bushings, and control arm bushings. However after a week or two I started getting very hard resistance when turning at 9 and 3 o’clock. Whether truck was cold, hot, slow, highway speeds—was like cement at those positions. I pulled reservoir and soaked and cleaned with Dawn. Then flushed the PS lines with about a quart and a half of Valvoline synthetic ATF. The old PS fluid was dark like coca-cola and it had only been in there for maybe 500 miles and a month or two. Steering is smooth as butter now. Hopefully this holds up long term. I’ll probably flush it again before the year’s over. But thanks to Mud for the info.
I am experiencing the same thing, but i seem to be loosing the generic PS fluid after a single drive....im reading on other forums that PS fluid will damage the seals in the PS pump and gear box...is this true? I didnt know at the time that I couldnt put standard PS fluid in it and i topped it off a few times trying to find the leak.

I am experiencing the same thing, but i seem to be loosing the generic PS fluid after a single drive....im reading on other forums that PS fluid will damage the seals in the PS pump and gear box...is this true? I didnt know at the time that I couldnt put standard PS fluid in it and i topped it off a few times trying to find the leak.
I’m not sure about damaging, but perhaps. I know my steering was not performing well with generic PS fluid but I haven’t had any leaks.

I’m not sure about damaging, but perhaps. I know my steering was not performing well with generic PS fluid but I haven’t had any leaks.
I flushed it with the right stuff and still leaking…I just rebuilt the steering gear box and that doesn’t have any wet spots and the pump is super hard to see. Ima try and get a good look at that tomorrow

You can do four times better if you want, remove the upper power steering hose from the reservoir, stick it into a empty gallon jug, washer solvent bottles work great.
Jack the font end off the ground, have your gallon of MaxLife, and stick a funnel in the reservoir. Have a friend start the truck, let it idle, have him turn the steering wheel lock to lock, you keep the reservoir full, once you are out of new fluid have your friend shut the engine off.
Button it up, top off if needed, now you have all new power steering fluid and it's good for another 50k.
This not only helps prevent leaks it help the power steering pump lasting longer. Pumps fail because they are either ran low on fluid or the fluid is worn out, either one will fry the bearings.
Good advice.

Other than some trivial tire wear, would you see any problem with doing this without jacking up the front end? I ask because I have one of the Asfir front skid plates I would rather not take off and I don’t trust the skinny spacer they supply to support the front end from a floor jack positioned in the middle.

I
Good advice.

Other than some trivial tire wear, would you see any problem with doing this without jacking up the front end? I ask because I have one of the Asfir front skid plates I would rather not take off and I don’t trust the skinny spacer they supply to support the front end from a floor jack positioned in the middle.
I just did it with the front end lifted, I would guess that the additional load on the wheels may cause the pump to cavitate with less fluid behind it. If you were quick to fill it, it may be ok.

Good advice.

You don’t even need to turn the wheels if you don’t want to.
Drain, fill. Drive for a week. Repeat until you’re satisfied all the fluid has been exchanged.

It is super easy to do and after the initial fluid change I do a drain and fill once a year, only takes maybe a qt of fluid.

@Jimij - RTFM - read the fine (owner's) manual. I don't know what 'dextron vl' is - but if it's Dex IV, Dexron (not Dextron) III is not considered interchangeable with Dexron IV.

I run Dex III in the trans and the power steering in my '99.

@Jimij - RTFM - read the fine (owner's) manual. I don't know what 'dextron vl' is - but if it's Dex IV, Dexron (not Dextron) III is not considered interchangeable with Dexron IV.

I run Dex III in the trans and the power steering in my '99.
Dex vI is Dex 6, Dex Iv is Dex 4. Roman numerals.

Dex 6 is the replacement for Dex 3, at least in British Columbia Canada Dex 3 no longer exists and has been replaced by DEX 6 (VI).

Yes Dex 4 is different and can not be used.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom