Depo Headlights vs OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Basically, it looks like a 50% increase in light on the road.

While there may be a 50% increase I really don't think that from the drivers seat you see that much of a boost. I would guestimate (based on the seat of my pants) that it's closer to a 30% increase than a 50% increase. While the exposure time is not linear, it seems to back that up. Of course it's not apples to apples as the design is very different.

Even if they weren't any brighter they'd still be worth it as you can aim them out much further due to the sharp cut off. The additional brightness is just icing on the cake.

The high beams reflect a similar increase because of the different assembly. Standard 9005- 1700 lumens x 27% = 459 lumens; HIR 9011 - 2700 lumens x 27% = 729 lumens; Depo with H1 55 watt = 1550 lumens x 45% = 697 lumens; Depot with 100 watt H1 = 2500 lumens x 45% = 1125 lumens out the front. So the stock high beams with the HIR put out approximately the same output as the depo high beams with the standard H1 bulb.

The numbers coordinate well with your camera's changes in shutter speed.

Geez, and I thought I was a geek. :lol:

While your numbers may show 459 lumens vs 697 lumens, I don't think that the difference is that great. I think the high beams are a bit more efficient than what you are giving them credit for. I think the camera data backs that up, as the exposure time was the same between the two brights. My eyeballs tell me that it's about the same too, the Depo's probably have a slight edge due to being whiter and a little more defined (OEM is a little blurred, if that makes sense), but it's not by much.

As mentioned before, the OEM brights are very bright, so not much room for improvement there anyway.

While there may be a 50% increase I really don't think that from the drivers seat you see that much of a boost. I would guestimate (based on the seat of my pants) that it's closer to a 30% increase than a 50% increase. While the exposure time is not linear, it seems to back that up. Of course it's not apples to apples as the design is very different.

Even if they weren't any brighter they'd still be worth it as you can aim them out much further due to the sharp cut off. The additional brightness is just icing on the cake.

Geez, and I thought I was a geek. :lol:

While your numbers may show 459 lumens vs 697 lumens, I don't think that the difference is that great. I think the high beams are a bit more efficient than what you are giving them credit for. I think the camera data backs that up, as the exposure time was the same between the two brights. My eyeballs tell me that it's about the same too, the Depo's probably have a slight edge due to being whiter and a little more defined (OEM is a little blurred, if that makes sense), but it's not by much.

As mentioned before, the OEM brights are very bright, so not much room for improvement there anyway.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

1) Our eyes don't process light in a linear manner. A doubling of light output will be seen by our eyes a small increase.

2) The Depo's are covering a much larger area than the stock lamps. I would guess that the peak output of the lamps in the bright spots are about the same, but the depos have a larger hot spot and greater side output. Perceptibly this will make them not look much brighter, but it is good, as your pupils don't dilate from the hot spot which decreases your peripheral vision.

It is amazing how far lights have move ahead. The 80 lamps were a good design and pattern for the early 90's. Even HID's have improved. The projection units in our 1998 Audi A6 (with new capsules) were marginal at best, too much light diffusion. Our 2006 BMW 530i, with the same output bulbs throws much more light further out.

Ebag did you have any luck modifying the stock LX grill to accommodate the depos?

Ebag did you have any luck modifying the stock LX grill to accommodate the depos?

Nope. You could do it, but it'd be a massive amount of work requiring you to basically rebuild the outside edge of the grill.

You'd be better off modifying the LC grill.

High ho :grinpimp:

I should have thought about that before buying a set of depos. Now I have to find an LC grill without breaking the bank.

I know this thread is as old as heck but is there any way of getting a set of these still? I have been looking every where. Heck I'll buy them used!

Anyone??

How old were the bulbs in the OEM lights? (I assume the new fixtures had new bulbs)

*Please note that there are many factors that influence life hours and your life hours may differ. Life hours is defined as the amount of time in which around 80% of a sample set of bulbs are still lit, but at a highly reduced efficiency (lumen output and amperage draw on the electrical system). This happens slowly over the life hours and you may not notice the reduced output until you replace a burnt out lamp.......**

http://store.candlepower.com/osram.html

Just bought these a couple of weeks back actually:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-1991-1...HTS-CLEAR-CORNER-LIGHTS-/400806801876?vxp=mtr

went with this harness for plug n play for the H1 and H4 bulbs that the depos run: http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=189

still need to do some adjusting, but i prefer these over my HIRs that i was running in the stock headlights. this is the only pic i have at the moment (please pardon the chinese snorkel and hipster instagram photo, both of which are likely to get me kicked off of MUD!!):

Jason,

My son's depos for the 92 are due to arrive today. We haven't decided on the bulbs yet. He was running the JD HIR's. Which H1 and H4 bulbs are you using?

Steve

I currently have the chrome faced one installed. i need the black faced units. i was told that they are sold out. If anyone has a link where i can find a set please please please let me know.

Jason,

My son's depos for the 92 are due to arrive today. We haven't decided on the bulbs yet. He was running the JD HIR's. Which H1 and H4 bulbs are you using?

Steve

Steve,
Another mud member had recommended the H4's that I went with: Osram 85/80w H4. The H1's are Narva Long Life H1. I got both sets from Candlepowerinc.com.

These are the only H4's and H1's that I have any experience with, so maybe some other people will chime in on one's that they've used as well.

Running philips bulbs and very happy with them.

Power Bulbs.com

I currently have the chrome faced one installed. i need the black faced units. i was told that they are sold out. If anyone has a link where i can find a set please please please let me know.
The chrome Depo lights are the only Depo lights. The ones you have seen that are black inside have been taken apart and painted by the owner.

Depos come with a black housing? You sure about this? I've never seen black Depos

Is there any threads on taking them apart safely? I don't mind painting then myself, but I just want to make sure I can put them back together without destroying them.

Is there any threads on taking them apart safely? I don't mind painting then myself, but I just want to make sure I can put them back together without destroying them.

About half way down the page in my build thread I show what I used to take them apart and what I did. I just took the Depos apart earlier tonight and it was a lot easier than the old OEM headlights.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/build-thread-for-the-german-shepherd.805447/

image.jpg

just did this to a week or so ago to combine a good lens with a bad housing and a bad lens with a good housing.

unbolt trim on top and bottom and remove the clips around the edge
preheat oven to 250ish. put light in glass down for about 10 minutes
carefully pry the glass off.

to reinstall, line up glass and put in oven glass down again for about 10 minutes. remove and put clips back on.

;done

Ok, I just purchased the Depo headlights along with the slee and innovative harnesses to make these plug and play. Has anyone else used these two harness in conjunction with the Depo lights?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom