Depo Headlights vs OEM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new set of Depo's installed. Haven't converted them to projector, so they're still the H4/H1 setup. Since I have two 80's, figured I'd do some side by side comparison shots.

Couple of things to be aware of in the pictures below. First is that my truck is higher than the :princess:. Not just lift wise but literally, it's parked on the sidewalk (so as not to block the street). In retrospect I should have swapped them, but meh, whatcha gonna do. :meh:

Second thing to be aware of is that the Depo's are adjusted with a much further throw than the OEM lights. I feel comfortable doing this as they have a nice sharp cut off. The OEM lights scatter so much light upwards I would be concerned about blinding oncoming traffic.

Third, camera was on auto, but all the settings stayed the same....except exposure time. More on that in a minute.

Fourth thing to be aware of is that the stock 80 is running the John Deere HIR bulbs, which are an upgrade from the OEM bulbs. (Not a huge upgrade, but noticeably brighter.)

Overall thoughts:

The Depo's are definitely an upgrade. No doubt not as much as projectors, and I still wouldn't call the light output exceptional, but I would call it acceptable (which I would not with the OEM lights). For the cost, it's a no brainer as night driving in the 80 is about the most dangerous thing you can do...I'd (almost) rather be in a 4 wheel slide on a dirt road with a cliff than drive at night.

Swapping lights is cake. As mentioned in other places, the LX grill does not quite fit. You can swap the chrome trim pieces at the top to fit that part, but the headlights have a slight bulge that keeps it from dropping in all the way. Will have to do something to address that later.

Am I the only one who hates the H1/H4 connectors? Since these lights are shallower, it's harder to reach the back of the light to pop the bulb and connector in and out. And you put the bulb in, then seal it with a rubber cap (that also has to plug into the bulb), then plug the wire harness into the cap. It's nice that it's sealed, but it's kinda a pain in the butt to do.

I used the Innovate Wiring harness which works like a charm. Very well designed and built. Only potential "complaint" is that you cannot use the high beam on the H4 bulb, but that is minor, it'd be a lot more complex to do that as you would have to shut off the low beam (something Toyota doesn't do).

They also sent me a refund due to shipping costs being less than I originally paid. I can't remember the last time a vendor has done that, major props to them! :cheers:

On the photo's, as mentioned before all settings (F number, focal length, etc) stayed the same except exposure time. This is nice, because it gives a good idea of the difference in light output.

OEM: .5 seconds
Depo: .3333 seconds
OEM + Depo: .25 seconds
(Lower is better.)

So based purely on the exposure time, the Depo's put out significantly more light than OEM, which confirms what I'm seeing when behind the wheel.

OEM
DSC_0007.jpg

Depo
DSC_0011.jpg

OEM + Depo
DSC_0003.jpg

Update 11/6/11

So as per a request, got some wall shots and some bright shots.

For the low beams, like the previous pictures, the settings did not change except for exposure time. On the high beams, the F stop did drop from 4.0 to 3.8 in one shot, interestingly enough in all three high beam shots the exposure time stayed the same (1/8th of a second).

Lights are adjusted the same as in the previous set of photos. Both vehicles are about the same distance from the wall, which I found interesting that the OEM setup was hitting the same point on the wall. You can clearly see in the previous photo set that the "hot spot" (or primary illuminated area) of the lights falls far shorter than that of the Depo's.

I think that this is one of the things I like about the Depo's, they are hitting objects much further away. At a guess, the Depo's are aimed out at nearly twice the distance of OEM. As previously mentioned, the OEM lights scatter a lot of light upwards which means you cannot adjust them up very high without blinding oncoming traffic.

The other thing I did notice that I hadn't previously is how much whiter the Depo's are. I'm attributing that heavily to the clear glass (vs frosted), but the OEM lights are noticeably towards the yellow side of the spectrum.

Due to the ambient light (sorry, not many places with a wide wall and no lights) the exposure time is much shorter all the way around, but it was never smaller than 1/8th of a second. As before, lower is better.

Exposure time (low beams)
OEM: .25 seconds
Depo: 0.2 seconds
OEM + Depo: 0.125 seconds

Exposure time (high beams)
OEM: 0.125 seconds
Depo: 0.125 seconds
OEM + Depo: 0.125 seconds

This isn't really as good of an indicator as the previous set due to two reasons. One is more ambient light. The other is that a lot more light than normal is being reflected off the wall, so it's kinda a bit of a false reading. Despite this, you can see that the Depo lights still out perform the OEM ones.

So without further comment, here are Low Beams On A Wall.

OEM
DSC_0005.jpg

Depo
DSC_0010.jpg

OEM + Depo
DSC_0007.jpg

And here are High Beams On A Wall.

OEM
DSC_0014.jpg

Depo
DSC_0012.jpg

OEM + Depo
DSC_0013.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Nice comparison.

Also, please post some pics of the DEPO lights on the LX and the fitment with the grill. Thanks.

Wow. Nice comparison.

Thanks. Pics turned out better than I expected. The exposure time was a surprise, didn't notice that until I went to upload them. Thought it rather cool as it's a fairly "scientific" method of actually measuring actual light output.

Also, please post some pics of the DEPO lights on the LX and the fitment with the grill. Thanks.

1 is the spot where you need to swap the LC/LX trim. No big deal as long as you have that trim piece.

2 is (roughly) where the lights are round. The LX lights are shaped to fit the grill. I believe I can trim the grill to fit and it won't be noticable or might need a bit of touch up. Alternatively, I may switch to the LC grill (as other have done). We'll see.

The spot that interferes is basically right in the center (vertically) of the grill on the right and left edges. It's not by much, half an inch or less.

CIMG0088.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

I already painted my grill, so cutting/trimming and then touching up wouldn't be a problem. You might be able to put some heat on your LX grill and get that spot to move out of the way with a little persuasion... Trimming that "brow" trim piece would be easy as well. (edit: wait, did the lights come with the trim pieces for a LC -the chrome upper and lower - already attached?)

Any shots looking at the light/grill interferance from the front?

You might be able to put some heat on your LX grill and get that spot to move out of the way with a little persuasion...

Don't think heat would work well there, it's a pretty shaped/structural piece.

Trimming that "brow" trim piece would be easy as well. (edit: wait, did the lights come with the trim pieces for a LC -the chrome upper and lower - already attached?)

You could trim and rechrome (or black out) the upper trim piece easily. They came with the LC trim piece, I just swapped them for my LX ones.

Not on hand, I'll run out and grab one in a minute.

Here you go.

You can see it's not off by much. I'm going to try grinding down the lip (will require rechroming it or blacking it out) and see how well it fits.
CIMG0095.jpg

Nice results!

I just got my Depos and am waiting on the innovative harness to arrive. Sounds like a quality product. What bulbs did you run?

I am thinking about doing a 55w H1 and 70/65W H4 with the stock harnesses, then maybe upgrading to slee harnesses and higher watt bulbs if i still need more light.

Great comparison. it would be nice to see the depo light pattern in an open lot. I can see the cut off on the factory lights. Look like the depo drops alot more light everywhere.

Thanks for sharing Ebag333

I just got my Depos and am waiting on the innovative harness to arrive. Sounds like a quality product. What bulbs did you run?

I am thinking about doing a 55w H1 and 70/65W H4 with the stock harnesses, then maybe upgrading to slee harnesses and higher watt bulbs if i still need more light.

I went with the Osram 85/80w H4 bulbs.

Osram's 85/80W ultra high efficacy H4 bulb, for motorcycles and special-service use, produces 2400/1750 lumens and requires the use of upgraded wiring with relays.

Interestingly enough, the boxes that they came in had "offroad" stamped on them (which wasn't mentioned online).

From what I've read the aren't actually 85/80 watts, but are a 60/55 watt bulb that puts out the equivalent light as an 85/80 watt bulb. They're recommended on a lot of sites (Mud included) so I figured I'd give them a shot. One complaint I've heard is that they are fairly short lived, but others have said they're fine. We'll see. (I'm using the stock harness, as well.)

For highs (H1) I used a generic cheap bulb. I rarely get to use my high beams anyway, so it wasn't much of a concern. Just like on the OEM lights, high beams light up the road in front of you quite nicely. For the amount of use I give my high beams (I've never burned out a high beam bulb on either of my trucks) a more expensive light simply is a waste of money for me.

I've heard of people adapting the H1 slot to a driving light. Not sure how that would work, seems to throw too much light in all directions.

Great comparison. it would be nice to see the depo light pattern in an open lot. I can see the cut off on the factory lights. Look like the depo drops alot more light everywhere.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but the factory lights have no where near the cut off of the Depo's. It's a night and day difference between the two.

The factory lights scatter a lot more light to the side and up than the Depo's do.

The pictures might give the illusion of the Depo's scattering more light based on objects like the stop sign being lit up. That's not true. It's lit up more because the Depo's are simply brighter (so more light bouncing up), and they're aimed out a lot further than the OEM lights. I could not aim the OEM lights out that far without blinding on coming traffic.

The Depo's do have a weird little slash from the DS light that extends above the cut off line. I'm assuming that is intentional to illuminate road signs.

Did you get them off ebay? They are a glass lens right? One of my headlights has a nasty chip in it so this is on my short list of projects.

Did you get them off ebay? They are a glass lens right? One of my headlights has a nasty chip in it so this is on my short list of projects.

Yes sir. Purchased from tuningimport, they had about the cheapest price and shipping. Glass lens, we'll see how it holds up compared to OEM.

Price was $142.95 with free shipping.

I replaced mine due to the exact same reason, nasty chip on the PS light. It's at the edge, so doesn't interfere or let moisture in, but wanted to replace it before it got worse.

A glass shop should be able to fill the chip (or at least seal it), likely cheaper than replacing the headlights. I just couldn't stand the light output any longer tho, have been wanting to update it for a long time.

I purchased my 97 in San Antonio, TX about two years ago and drove it home to Virginia that week. Great road trip but spent quite a lot of time driving at night and could not believe how bad the lights were. I went with the Slee wiring upgrade, went with HIR bulbs, and finally installed Depo Glass lenses late last year. The Depo lenses were the best improvement of the three mods and gave me much better lighting. Afterwards, I finally went ahead and did a full HID conversion (Thanks ChefJ) and have been extremely impressed- light output finally sufficient for safe night driving. I ended up with a chip on the driver side depo lense this summer and ordered another full set of Depo's to replace that driver side lense. Will sell the passenger side lense to someone that needs it one day!

I ended up with a chip on the driver side depo lense this summer and ordered another full set of Depo's to replace that driver side lense. Will sell the passenger side lense to someone that needs it one day!

If the chip isn't bad take it to a glass shop, they can likely fill it. Won't be as good as original, but should be cheap (possibly even covered by insurance).

I already painted my grill, so cutting/trimming and then touching up wouldn't be a problem. You might be able to put some heat on your LX grill and get that spot to move out of the way with a little persuasion... Trimming that "brow" trim piece would be easy as well.

Well, trimmed the grill some (took of the ridge/lip), but still doesn't fit right. Better, but not completely.

The grill overlaps slightly on the lights, and I don't think that there's going to be a way to fix it short of swapping to the LC grill. I could trim some more, but now you're getting into a section that will be visible.

Guess it's off to the classifieds to find me an LC grill.....

great writeup! now, i remember seeing an aftermarket headlight unit that had projectors standard... i thought they were the depo units??

anyone know which ones i'm thinking of?

great writeup! now, i remember seeing an aftermarket headlight unit that had projectors standard... i thought they were the depo units??

anyone know which ones i'm thinking of?

There are the "halo" lights (sometimes called "led lights").

Those use polycarb instead of glass, IIRC. Plus they look like wanna-be ricer lights.

Here are the lights. I've also found them called "angel eyes." Looks like Anzo makes 'em.

http://www.anzousa.com/ProductImages/111092.jpg
(link as photo is huge)

Also available in black.

anzo_111093.jpg

I can't find anywhere that confirms glass or poly. I suppose if they are poly you could use the Depo glass, but these ain't cheap to begin with ($230 or so), so would be about as cheap to use Depo's and whatever projectors you want.

I may make the jump to HID, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with the H4/H1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom