Delta VS Radius Arms (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is it that grinding on them isn’t recommended for tie rod clearance, because it would compromise the structural integrity of the design, but dragging them across rocks is “looking good”?

I ask because with heavy use, it’s only a matter of time before the welds on the bottom have been compromised, no?

If you don’t know the difference between a rock and a grinder, I feel bad for you son.

/s

I was just about to order a set of radius arms from Superior Engineering until I saw this thread. I never liked my caster plate correction on my 4" TJM lift while the driveline geometry is fine, (front DC shaft was necessary in my case, I now have no vibration issues) the axle bump stop isn't centred down the middle of the spring causing the metal cup on the bump stop to catch on the turns of the coil. I attributed this to the stock radius arm sitting at a greater angle relative to the frame due to the lift. Aside from SE, Slee's arms look beefy and I would have bought a set of those, but the only available pair of arms were for a 6" lift. So those would have theoretically extended the wheelbase, setting the spring too far forward.

I'm hoping that a new set of radius arms cures this final piece of the puzzle by shifting the front axle forward to get it back to where it should be.

The only consideration is whether or not I should wait until the "higher tie-rod" clearance option is something I should wait for? I'm guessing that the poster who had this problem is a one off due to a particular suspension set up (longer shocks)? If that's the case I'm guessing I can just go ahead and order a pair of "regular" DVS arms?

Love the bumpers BTW, nice detail work on the cut-out steps etc. I assume that where there is a price of $0 that product is currently out of stock and will come available again?

Any idea on time-line for the "high-clearance" version?? very interested...
I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no reply. In my opinion, a “high clearance” version is the only version that should exist.

I’ve had my delta arms for a couple months now but only had them out one time because I’ve been working on my cruiser a lot this year. I drooped out fully the front left tire and the tie rod very lightly touched the arm. I believe this will get worse as bushings begin to degrade.

I want to trade mine in for the new and properly improved delta design when it becomes available.

If you don’t know the difference between a rock and a grinder, I feel bad for you son.

/s

Your sarcasm aside, it was a serious question. Rocks remove material; this didn’t just magically happen, so what makes you think your radius arms will stand up better?

BAC111B1-5ADD-4057-B61E-0793C86BED92.jpeg

C36618A5-7A6F-4FD4-8323-1C1EE44CFA9E.jpeg

/s
If you can't see that rocks are grinders, you may want to rethink your foray into the offroad business.

I can't figure out why there are welds on the arms. Why not a solid arm? Especially if wear and tear is going to compromise the component.

Edit: Having looked back through the thread, I once again found your reasoning for the laminated design. I must be missing something though- how is cutting 3 parts, windowed and bored, and then welding the entire long perimiter, easier or more efficient than cutting a single part and machining the necessary areas?

Of course, you can do it however you want, but when people ask you legitimate questions about them, don't come back with 'you must be too stupid to understand'.

Last edited:
0F5419C2-7176-4FA4-95F4-2F540616F7A0.png

The weld seam runs deeper than would be assumed until seeing this photo courtesy of DVS. This shows that quite a bit of the entire 1” thick arm would need to be ground away on rocks before integrity is compromised.

I have no major concerns about strength and/or wearing these out on rocks but I am concerned about tie rod clearance and have said so since I first installed delta arms.

I believe these arms will work great for the vast majority of 80 owners but for those of us who do run rocks, who don’t really want a three link and who have taken steps to get maximum travel from the 80 series front suspension, an arm that is still narrow enough to allow for greater bushing deflection before the arm binds and much greater tie rod clearance would be appreciated.

@Delta VS what is the current lead time on these puppies? i ordered some last week and i am moving next month. Just want to make sure to update my delivery address if necessary. Thanks!

Emailing with details is the best way to get an answer to that. I have no idea which order you are referring to. We had a rush on these things for some reason and a lot of orders came through at the same time. We are mostly caught up, but there are some still at powdercoat.

Emailing with details is the best way to get an answer to that. I have no idea which order you are referring to. We had a rush on these things for some reason and a lot of orders came through at the same time. We are mostly caught up, but there are some still at powdercoat.

I sent an email, got my answer :) thanks for the update.

Your sarcasm aside, it was a serious question. Rocks remove material; this didn’t just magically happen, so what makes you think your radius arms will stand up better?

View attachment 1980570

View attachment 1980571

Should wood also not be used as structural members because I can snap toothpicks between my fingers?

The smaller something is, the more it is going to be effected by dragging over something.

Unfortunately, we can't design, build, and sell something that helps 3% of the 80 market and keep it cost effective for the 97% of the market that is actually purchasing our products. If somebody is wheeling hard enough to wear their stuff out, they should be paying attention to wear of a lot more than just the radius arms, and replacing things as needed. Aside from that, we stand behind our products and do everything we can to make sure our customers are happy with their purchase (just ask them). If somebody actually wears out their arms, there is a good chance we will be replacing them at a significantly reduced cost. We would also take the info learned into account and possibly change the design.

If you can't see that rocks are grinders, you may want to rethink your foray into the offroad business.

I can't figure out why there are welds on the arms. Why not a solid arm? Especially if wear and tear is going to compromise the component.

Edit: Having looked back through the thread, I once again found your reasoning for the laminated design. I must be missing something though- how is cutting 3 parts, windowed and bored, and then welding the entire long perimiter, easier or more efficient than cutting a single part and machining the necessary areas?

Of course, you can do it however you want, but when people ask you legitimate questions about them, don't come back with 'you must be too stupid to understand'.

If you can't see the "/s", you should rethink your approach to online activity.

There are lots of reasons to manufacture the way we've chosen, detailed previously. Parts interchangeability is one of them, for instance, making a bunch of bushing holders out of stock material that needs minimal processing and can be used with all of the different sizes of arms is one of the ways we can keep costs down.

If a solid arm is what somebody wants, Slee 100% is the answer. Their product fills the need for that part of the market, we chose to go a totally different route to fill a different part of the market. And we can't keep them on the shelves.

There was not and has never been any "you must be too stupid to understand" comments. That is not the style of Delta Vehicle Systems.

First article raw parts for the high-clearance arms have finally arrived at the shop. Will be assembling and test fitting in short order.

You can clearly see the difference in profiles between standard (powdercoated black on the bottom) and high-clearance versions (raw steel on top).

Should be no issues on extra lifted/flexy rigs now.

IMG_3046.jpg

First article raw parts for the high-clearance arms have finally arrived at the shop. Will be assembling and test fitting in short order.

You can clearly see the difference in profiles between standard (powdercoated black on the bottom) and high-clearance versions (raw steel on top).

View attachment 2012075

will these be an option, or become the new standard?

View attachment 2012075
Looking forward to trying out a non-abs set. Thanks for the update.

@Delta VS Did you guys end up adding more castor correction to the high clearance arms or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom