Definitive new Radiator thread (Aug 2018) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m installing a Ron Davis. Pricey, but the build quality is superb. I’ll report back once I get it all put back together. Shroud required minor trimming.

910_B15_CC_EF30_491_A_B434_FD72_A013_D8_EA.jpg
Any feedback since install?

Surprised Denso isn’t mentioned at all for radiators 🤔

Denso makes a good Rad absolutely. However, their packaging is absolute garbage. I had to send the 1st 2 rads for my '97 4Runner back because the plastic nipple was busted off. On the second one I was fed up and was just going to use JB weld....except the broken piece wasn't even in the box. The 3rd one I got was pure luck it wasn't damaged as it was just rattling around inside the oversized box with 2 useless pieces of foam that did nothing other than to bend some fins. Good rad, ridiculously terrible packaging. The Koyo for my 80 was packaged extremely well.....maybe not as good of a radiator....but.

Surprised Denso isn’t mentioned at all for radiators 🤔

Looked forward to it being released, ordered one as soon as it happened. Average at best, not impressed with quality, design or performance. Not what I expected from Denso! 😕

I did see RockAuto sells the Denso rad at a good price. Would you say it's better than the Koyo A1918? I don't want to have to replace it for a while. Don't mind spending the money on OE Toyota if it's worth the money. I know with the 1Fz cooling is the life blood.

I did see RockAuto sells the Denso rad at a good price. Would you say it's better than the Koyo A1918? I don't want to have to replace it for a while. Don't mind spending the money on OE Toyota if it's worth the money. I know with the 1Fz cooling is the life blood.

For quality I would rate Koyo way ahead of the Denso. Would put the TYC ahead of it and has the benefit of cooling better than Denso, Koyo, OEM, CFS, etc.

After chatting with Tools and Inkpot, replaced a fairly new Koyo with a TYC at the same time I did a blue fan clutch mod. My temps dropped a no joke ten to fifteen degrees on the same roads with the same outside temps. Wasn’t overheating before, but running super cool now. Like $130 to my door on Amazon. I’m a believer — TYC for the win.

Yup. That’s the one. It IS cheap. That’s why I originally went with a more expensive Koyo. Figured more expensive had to be better, right?

BUT after visiting with Tools and Inkpot and seeing that they use the TYC and the fan clutch mod, wheeling out of Phoenix, where it’s regularly 110 in the summer... AND they’ve tested just about every brand of radiator.... AND they wheel hard with a bunch of guys who run TYCs... I’m giving TYC a try out. So far so good. Where I used to see 205 on a hill near my house, I’m barely cracking 190...

This one? Seems awful cheap.

I run a TYC, blue fan clutch with 20kcst oil up and down the high mountain passes and see between 180-190 degrees. It cools well.

.......... replaced a fairly new Koyo with a TYC at the same time I did a blue fan clutch mod. My temps dropped a no joke ten to fifteen degrees on the same roads with the same outside temps. ................. TYC for the win.
The trouble with that is that when you two changes at the same time, you cannot be sure which one had the desired effect, or, did it take both to have the desired effect.
One mod at a time would have told the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom