Definitive list of AHC maintenance items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the cable test from mine. Shows only one data line, which I think means that this is not obd2, and not can-bus. Just Mr. T's m-obd. Still works tho', can read data and set options.

Thanks for sharing uHu. Re-reading my FSM for the 1998 vehicle, mine is definitely Mr. T's M-OBD connector. I have read a bunch more about M-OBD, but still can't find a pinout for it for any market/year, let alone Australia/1998.

Mine has pins 4, 7, and 16 in common with you, just missing pin 5, which is probably the Signal Ground. Hopefully the Mini VCI can just use the Chassis Ground, probably pin 4, in place of the Signal Ground, and either use "K line of ISO 9141-2" or "ISO 14230-4" to communicate with the LX470.

Wilsil, as yours doesn't have pins 6, 7, 14, or 15, but has pins 2 and 10, it looks like yours may be set up to use " SAE-J1850 PWM", which the cable supports.

Strange that Toyota/Lexus should use so many different protocols, although it was before proper standarisation in OBD.

Also, maybe my 1998 LX is based on an EU spec vehicle (almost consistent with uHu), and your 2002 is based on a US spec vehicle, or maybe they are both hybrids.

Anyway . . . waiting for a cable to arrive.

Last edited:
I looked through it a while back and found some interesting bits. But I don't think it is relevant to whether this Mini VCI Cable works or not. It is more relevant once we have a working connection to the vehicle, and want to understand how it all works, or diagnose a problem. I have kept a copy to read later if needed.

Got the cable... but

I got the cable... but what is this round flat thing that's shiny on one side?

I haven't used a CD in years.. I took out my cd drive in favor of an SSD on my laptop.

Can somebody send me the contents of this disk? I assume it's the software..

haha.

I am still using the drink holder on my desktop every day.
Works great. :)

Can somebody send me the contents of this disk? I assume it's the software..

The software can be downloaded from the link provided in the Tundratalk thread:
TechStream software and cable for $35 - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

I think someone uploaded a full copy of the CD supplied with the cable in that thread somewhere. I didn't search right through the thread again. You can do that.

Okay, I weakened and did a quick search. Here it it, but its not the latest version. The link above has the latest version, but the installation is slightly different I believe.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...stream-software-cable-35-a-22.html#post828119

Last edited:
The software can be downloaded from the link provided in the Tundratalk thread:
TechStream software and cable for $35 - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

I think someone uploaded a full copy of the CD supplied with the cable in that thread somewhere. I didn't search right through the thread again. You can do that.

Okay, I weakened and did a quick search. Here it it, but its not the latest version. The link above has the latest version, but the installation is slightly different I believe.
TechStream software and cable for $35 - Page 22 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Thanks for this! I got it working, though the virus scanner claims one of the files is a virus; research suggests that's okay. Once I disabled the scanner, I got it working but there's a mysterious option about picking my "option"

UZJ-2FE Option: -0208 0208-0408 or 0408- (or something)

I tried all 3 and they list different options for the customization, but for example none show me any options to change for wireless door locks (somebody else on here said they used the cable and got it to work).

As for raw data, all 3 selections show me 0 values for the AHC pressures.

SJTkq.png

This makes me think that whatever the VIM is, the one that ships with the cable works while the one I downloaded doesn't? The problem with the software with the cable (Mini VCI) is that the code doesn't work and registration doesn't work.

Will keep playing with it..

yuji said:
Thanks for this! I got it working, though the virus scanner claims one of the files is a virus; research suggests that's okay. Once I disabled the scanner, I got it working but there's a mysterious option about picking my "option"

UZJ-2FE Option: -0208 0208-0408 or 0408- (or something)

I tried all 3 and they list different options for the customization, but for example none show me any options to change for wireless door locks (somebody else on here said they used the cable and got it to work).

As for raw data, all 3 selections show me 0 values for the AHC pressures.

This makes me think that whatever the VIM is, the one that ships with the cable works while the one I downloaded doesn't? The problem with the software with the cable (Mini VCI) is that the code doesn't work and registration doesn't work.

Will keep playing with it..

- not aware of the "options" you're referring to. could you post a screenshot?

- wireless door locks - i've been able to configure mine. i forget exactly but it's maybe the "customize" or customize functions or customize paramters button on the main screen after you connect.
here's some screens i have from a last time i configured it:
68971411.jpg

cb19e19d.jpg

6804d1eb.jpg

- regarding 0 values for ahc pressure, techtream reads pressure at the pump, so you need to go from L to N with techstream connected and then you'll see the pressure it took to raise the vehicle to normal height...

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Option - is the production year and month. So for your 2000 you should select "-0208", meaning before august 2002.

Hi RoderickGI, have you receive yours yet?

It just arrived today. Not even opened yet. I will try to make time to try it out later today.

Drum sound.........

Drum sound.........
...and the result is...
It doesn't work. It looked like it was connecting to the vehicle. It didn't say it couldn't connect to the vehicle initially, but it couldn't communicate with any ECU.

I tried it set to North America, Europe, and Australia via the Other selection. Making those selections changed the way the software tried to connect to

The installation process was straightforward:
1. Install Techstream
2. Replace GetPeculiarID.dll with the copy on the CD
3. Install Mini VCI driver V2.0.1 from CD
Note that I didn't need to enter any code anywhere to get Techstream to work, but noted that there were codes for US, EU, JP, and Other in a files called code.txt on the CD. I think I should have hit the Software Registration button when I first ran Techstream, and entered one of those codes. The video showed the Software Registration code windows popped up on first connecting to the vehicle, but that didn't happen for me. It was visible at one stage though. I'll have to find out how to make that happen again.
4. I used the MVCI Firmware Update Tool to check the firmware Device Info of the cable. The firmware version is 2.0.4.
5. I tried to run the firmware Online Update, but it failed to communicate with the update server. I suspect all support for this device has finished.
6. Connect cable to Vehicle and PC, turn on vehicle.
7. Start Techstream. Select Area (Europe), Language (English), put junk in the othe configuration fields, other than the Country which I set to (United Kingdom).
8. Press the on screen button to Connect to vehicle. Select Model Code (UZJ), Vehicle Spec (Others), click next and get a response: "A communication error with Engine ECU occurred. Please confirm that the ECU is properly installed." Yeah, right.

With the Area set to North America Techstream appeared to connect to the vehicle, but it wouldn't connect to any ECU. With the Area set to Other I got the same result as with Europe.

With all my mucking around, I think I did get a similar result to North America once when set to Europe. Maybe the first time I ran Techstream.

Anyway, it didn't work for me, but I need to work out how to enter the software key, as I can't find a way within the software now. I think I will need to uninstall and reinstall Techstream. Then with the Registration Key entered, it may work... maybe.

fyi - I didn't enter any code or replace any dll, just install one software, install one driver, and voila: "plug and play". Can't remember the readme saying to do anything more either.

Thanks uHu. I'll try it your way. If that works I'll be happy.

There are at least three different installation methods that I have seen documented with various versions of the cracked Techstream; the Key Generator crack, the replacement DLL, and the pirate Key Code.

The CD I received has a readme.txt, an update.txt, and a code.txt, none of which really cover the installation procedure, which is why I followed the video installation. I guess we get what we pay for...

NICE. I just ordered the cable and TIS software. Sweet.

Well, I've uninstalled Techstream, removed all left over directories and cleaned the registry of Techstream settings, twice, and it still isn't working. On both occassions I just installed Techstream and the MVCI Driver, without changing the DLL or entering a code, just as you did uHu. In fact I've had no opportunity to enter a code in the software, as the screen that allows it only ever popped up once. (At least I think I remember it did.) I can't restore the laptop to prior to the first Techstream installation as Windows XP won't do it. Fails to complete. I have no idea why.

I don't think it is communicating with the M-OBD properly. If I run the Cable Check Utility, with or without the MVCI connected to the vehicle I get the result below. It is possible I'm not doing this right though, as it requires two clicks on Next to get a result for each pin tested. The first click changes the Result to Checking with a yellow background. Leaving it sit like that for up to 15 minutes doesn't do anything, but clicking Next again gives a result almost immediately, so I have to assume two clicks are required. The Check only pauses for a little while on the K Line, pin 7, which makes me think it tries to communicate on that line, but it fails. Note that pin 5 shows as a Ground even though no wire connects to that pin. The MVCI must be providing the Ground via pin 4.

I have to assume that I am selecting the vehicle correctly in the Wizard. For Areas "Europe" or "Other" the selection is a "Model Code" and "Vehicle Spec". I choose UZJ as my LX470 is a UZJ100, and "Others" as the only other option is Taiwan.

But hitting Next just gives me a communication error, as below.

For the Area "North America" you get to choose Make, Model, Year, and the engine type is automatically filled in, which makes much more sense. Techstream does seem to connect for North America as well, but it won't communicate with any ECU.

I might have to try this cable on my brother's 100 series Landcruiser, although his may be only a 2000 anyway now I think about it, so may not be any better.

uHu, which version of Techstream are you using? I was trying 7.10.030 on all occassions. I might have to try an earlier version. I guess I could check what voltages are on the DLC3 pins as well, particularly pin 7. Not today though.

Bummer. Any other ideas?
Techstream DLC3 Cable Result.jpg
Techstream Vehicle Selection for Other-Australia and Europe.jpg
Techstream Communication Error.jpg

Well, I thought I may have solved the problem when I looked at the last of my images above, which clearly shows that the MVCI DLL version is 1.4.6 instead of the installation file version of 2.0.1.

So I had a look at the versions of the MVCI driver that I had collected. While some files had a version number in the name, others didn't, but it turns out that I had two installation versions; 2.0.1 (which is internally version 1.4.6) and 1.4.8.

So I removed 2.0.1 and installed 1.4.8, only to find that the internal version of the MVCI DLL as shown in Techstream is 1.4.7, and it didn't work any better than 1.4.6.

The named file version matches the version displayed in the Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" Support Information popup. The actual MVCI32.dll file installed with the 1.4.8 driver is 1.0.0.1. I didn't check the dll version for driver version 2.0.1.

Naming and version control for these files is rubbish, obviously.

What version MVCI DLL are people using when Techstream works? It may only be displayed at the bottom of the window when you select North America as the area, rather than Europe or Other, which is why I didn't notice it earlier.

Hi Agaisin. Thanks. I will give it another try. I may try the cable on my wife's Camry if I still run into trouble to determine if something's wrong with my cable or obd port.

Chadiln - if you're in Thailand, looks like you should choose Country Other, and then you can choose Thailand in the list of Dealer Country/Region.

Thanks again for your help. Just got the chance to try out the cable with TS over the weekend. The software is abit confusing, but at least got to program the steering wheel to stop retracting when keys are pulled out of the ignition.

Need time to go through the AHC section before my ARB Combo bumper install this week!

I finally got a chance to do this: full tank, unloaded specs:

7.0 for the front.
6.4 for the rears.

Which is at the top end of spec unless the 1mpa adjustment for the hand held tester needs to be applied on top of the figures.

I still can't get any of the electric mods working.. I'd love to do a single click unlock!

pnZIf.png

Did do the -0208 option now that I know it means Pre 2002.

x44r2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom