Definitive list of AHC maintenance items (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

uHu: Can you see the neutral pressure with this cable? I ordered one for that purpose, so I can reset t-bars and/or replace rear spings, but I have not had a chance to try it.

First post! I just bought a 2006 LC with only 34000 miles.

I tried out the $35 cable/software this weekend. It worked fine. I turned off the "unlock twice" feature and changed the lighting scheme.

I also used it to check neutral pressures on my AHC. From memory, spec is Front 6.9 +/- 0.5 mpa, Rear 5.6 -- 6.7 mpa. Mine were Front = 7.2 mpa, Rear = 6.9 mpa.

I decided to tighten up the TBs to bring the front pressure down, but this made the rear worse. Front 6.8 mpa, Rear 7.1 mpa. Is is possible that I need new rear springs after only 6 years/34000 miles? If so should I replace anything else, like the spring follower, or cusions?

From what I read it is pretty common in Australia to mount a pressure gauge in the rear quarters and tee it into the AHC lines.

I haven't seen that reported anywhere, not that I have looked in the past. I searched just now though and can't find any reference to the idea.

Do you have a link to any writeup?

I would want electronic pressure sensors rather than a mechanical gauge anyway, as wires are easier to run than high pressure oil piping and the signal can easily be displayed up near the driver.

First post! I just bought a 2006 LC with only 34000 miles.

I tried out the $35 cable/software this weekend. It worked fine. I turned off the "unlock twice" feature and changed the lighting scheme.

I also used it to check neutral pressures on my AHC. From memory, spec is Front 6.9 +/- 0.5 mpa, Rear 5.6 -- 6.7 mpa. Mine were Front = 7.2 mpa, Rear = 6.9 mpa.

Good to read that this $35 cable is reading the pressures.
Where did you plug it in: under the bonnet or under the dash?
Are these 2 connectors the same or do they serve a different purpose?

uHu: Can you see the neutral pressure with this cable? I ordered one for that purpose, so I can reset t-bars and/or replace rear spings, but I have not had a chance to try it.
Yes, I got 7.4 front and 7.0 rear, just at or above the upper bracket. Didn't do a proper test though, with going to Lo first and removing tools and junk from the car. Just played around with the active test a bit, lowering down in steps and then reading the pressure after reverting to normal height. Also looked through all the ECUs/areas to see what could be altered or checked here and there.
When I first connected the cable and pressed "connect to vehicle" (or whateveritwas), I got an error message. This is because the application defaulted to US-version, so as soon as I changed to EU it was OK. What would be the difference?

Edit: Did another test, without junk in the car: Got 7.2 front and 6.2 rear, so just fine.

I decided to tighten up the TBs to bring the front pressure down, but this made the rear worse. Front 6.8 mpa, Rear 7.1 mpa. Is is possible that I need new rear springs after only 6 years/34000 miles? If so should I replace anything else, like the spring follower, or cusions?
Yes, it is normal having to change rear coils after 5 years.

Last edited:
Where did you plug it in uHu?
Under the dash or under the bonnet?

Yes, it is normal having to change rear coils after 5 years.

Bummer, at least the AHC springs are not too expensive.

Wilsil, I plugged in under the dash. I have a laptop running Windows XP (need XP, or virtual XP) and I had it in the truck with me so I could see what was happening.

I checked the connectors yesterday.
The one under the dash is a 16-pin one with only 8 wires to it. 3 on one side, 5 on the other.
Under the bonnet is a different layout.

I just got the $35 cable and software, found the obdII near the brake pedal and plugged in the mini VCI but somehow it wouldn't connect to the car's ecu. I had the TIS installed and the drivers set up as per the documentation. Anyone having trouble with the cable?

chadiln said:
I just got the $35 cable and software, found the obdII near the brake pedal and plugged in the mini VCI but somehow it wouldn't connect to the car's ecu. I had the TIS installed and the drivers set up as per the documentation. Anyone having trouble with the cable?

can u provide more detail on "it wouldn't connect to the car's ecu"? did you get an error (have a screenshot)? was the car on?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I have read somewhere about changing the location to Europe.
Did you do that?

TIS software and cable

I too received my cable and software. It worked great off the bat. In order to get the software to work you need to enter a random dealer number, name, and whatever other info they ask for (you can make all of it up, the software isn't smart enough to verify anything). When you hook it up to your vehicle make sure the ingition is off, then turn it on (don't have to start it) after you plug it in. To get AHC pressures, all doors/hood/trunk need to be closed.

I didn't have to set anything for EU dealers. The standard US setup worked fine for me. Note that there are seperate drivers that need to be installed for the cable FIRST before you ever connect it to your computer. They are in a seperate folder in the included cd.

I know it's been covered in other threads, but since everyone on this thread is getting the cable/software for the purpose of reading neutral pressure, here are a few points:
1) Techstream is powerful - probably a good idea to read the relevant sections of FSM prior to tinkering
2) It's easy to think you plug in and read the pressure - that's not how it works. You're reading the pressure at the pump (from the last time the pump ran). To get a valid reading for Neutral Pressure you need to actually go from L to N while on level ground and as the FSM says the vehicle should be unloaded and gas tank full.
3) Since there are two fundamentally different ways to check neutral pressure (using techstream vs. using lspv gauge), there are two different sets of specifications for the correct neutral pressure values. Make sure you're using the numbers from the section on using handheld tester.

For convenience (out of the 05LX470 FSM):
Front Pressure Spec (IN CASE OF USING LEXUS HAND-HELD TESTER):
6.9 +/- 0.5 MPa (70 +/- 5 kgf/cm2 , 996 +/- 71 psi)

Rear Pressure Spec (IN CASE OF USING LEXUS HAND-HELD TESTER):
5.6 - 6.7 MPa (57 - 68 kgf/cm2 , 811 - 967 psi)

And from the FSM on the difference between approaches:
"The cylinder pressure read by the LEXUS hand-held tester is estimated by the pump emitted
pressure so the pressure is approx. 1.2 MPa (12 kgf/cm2 ,171 psi) higher than the pressure read by
the LSPV gauge (SST)."

agaisin said:
can u provide more detail on "it wouldn't connect to the car's ecu"? did you get an error (have a screenshot)? was the car on?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I will try and get screen shots. One thing is it seems to try to connect to the server. After that the software says I have x amount of times left to use the software without connecting to server. Then it gives me the screen to select model, year and engine.

I will try to reinstall and select Europe and see if I can get it to connect and will report back.

I will try and get screen shots. One thing is it seems to try to connect to the server. After that the software says I have x amount of times left to use the software without connecting to server. Then it gives me the screen to select model, year and engine.

I will try to reinstall and select Europe and see if I can get it to connect and will report back.

I've used the Tactrix with Techstream from TIS but haven't used the version of Techstream that comes with the mini vci cable most of you are using - I assume it's hacked so you don't get prompted to register. But for Techstream (unmodified) I can tell you that I've gotten the x amount of times left to use the software error and the easiest way to get rid of it is to navigate to Setup -> Techstream Configuration and change your User Type from a dealer to one of the other types (I have mine set to Public User which means and independant shop).

It is normal for it to prompt you with the model year and engine. The question is what happens after that...

Also, to be clear, if your vehicle is not US model then you need to choose the correct country. You do not need to reinstall to change the country, just simply go to Setup-=>Techstream Configuration and change your country.

Chadiln - if you're in Thailand, looks like you should choose Country Other, and then you can choose Thailand in the list of Dealer Country/Region.

Everyone is talking about this Techstream software, but I haven't seen a screenshot on here.
Can someone make a picture of the actual readout?

Everyone is talking about this Techstream software, but I haven't seen a screenshot on here.
Can someone make a picture of the actual readout?

Here's a thread by RL4x4 where he posted some screens of neutral pressure readings out of techstream:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/554603-ahc-bleeding-found-foam-bubbles-bad-sign.html

Here are two pretty generic videos of Techstream (not AHC or LX470 specific):
MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream V5.00.028 (this one is using an older version 5)
Toyota TIS Cable+ Techstream 7.0 (this one is using a newer version 7)

Thanks mate.
I am still asking myself the question if it will work on mine as you guys can use the Scangauge while I can't on my LX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom