Definitive list of AHC maintenance items (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks mate.
I am still asking myself the question if it will work on mine as you guys can use the Scangauge while I can't on my LX470.

Obviously I can't gaurantee anything, but I see that Australia is one of the "Other" countries - I would think that means it should work. For $35 maybe it's worth a shot?

OzzieTechstream-1.jpg

Thanks again.
It is worth a try otherwise I can sell it to someone with a Landcruiser.

Thanks again.
It is worth a try otherwise I can sell it to someone with a Landcruiser.
If your concern is whether it works in Australia, I couldn't say.
[STRIKE]But if your concern is whether it works with an LX470 vs. a Landcruiser, I can assure you it works with both Lexus and Toyota[/STRIKE]
The software is made to work with both Lexus and Toyota so I would think that at least for a given year of LC it would work on that same year LX.

Last edited:
agaisin said:
Chadiln - if you're in Thailand, looks like you should choose Country Other, and then you can choose Thailand in the list of Dealer Country/Region.

Hi Agaisin. Thanks. I will give it another try. I may try the cable on my wife's Camry if I still run into trouble to determine if something's wrong with my cable or obd port.

Oh - and if your concern is that Scanguage didn't work, therefore maybe Techstream won't work, I found these two lists of Scanguage II Australian Vehicle compatibility and it looks like LX470 2006 and up and LC2003 and up are supported, but lots of vehicles are not. However it's not clear to me if Techstream would not work for the same reason... See my update below on why Scanguage doesn't work with all the same vehicles years as in US - b/c of lack of OBD2 support...
ScanGaugeII - Compatible Vehicle List for Australia - Toyota
ScanGaugeII - Compatible Vehicle List for Australia - Lexus

UPDATE:
Actually just found two more explanations:
1) From here http://www.ample-outdoors.com.au/store/faq.php?cID=1
Does the Scangauge II work in my vehicle?
A list of compatible Australian vehicles is being compiled by our staff through direct testing and using customer feedback. This list is continually being updated and is available online here.
Understanding OBD2 in Australia.
In Australia OBDII compatibility was finally made compulsory in January 2006 by new requirements in the Australian Design Rules. Vehicles made between 1997 & 2006 may or may not be OBDII compatible. Because the ADR did not require an active OBDII system in Australia before 2006, some vehicle manufacturers did not implement it.
Tracking down exactly when particular vehicles began using OBDII in Australia is a time cosuming task. At this time most vehicles we have tested the ScanGauge II on do work, but there are a few that do not.
Please view our compatibility list here. NOTE: If your vehicle is not included in our list it does not mean that it will not work, just that we have not directly tested the ScanGaugeII or had a customer report compatibility on your type of vehicle. We suggest you conduct a google search with keywords of ScanGauge and your vehicle model and year. Google search results will usually lead to some online message forums where users have discussed compatibility with your vehicle.
If in doubt, call us before making your purchase!
Due to the ScanGaugeII's new heat sealed blister packaging returns can no longer be accepted due to incompatibility with your vehicle, so once again.....research or ask us before purchasing!
We can arrange a time to test the Scangauge II on your vehicle at our offices in Clarence NSW. If you wish to organise a time to do so, please call us on 1300 796 960. We also have a number of demo units we can send out to customers if they would like to confirm compatibility with a vehicle that we do not have compatibility information on. Call us to arrange a demo unit to be posted out to you.

2)
"View Our Australian Vehicle Compatibility List The ScanGauge requires the vehicle to be either OBDII or EOBD compatible. In the US and Canada, cars and light trucks were required to be OBDII compatible starting in 1996. In Europe, EOBD was phased in between 2002 and 2004. Other parts of the world have required one of them starting in various years. Many vehicles made and/or sold outside the US and Canada had one of the protocols before they were required in that country. This was to allow sales to other countries and because they knew they would eventually be required to meet the requirements and designed it in when they redesigned a particular model. There is no comprehensive list of when particular vehicles began using OBDII or EOBD in Australia. At this time most vehicles we have tested the ScanGauge II on do work, but there are a few that do not. For example the ScanGauge II does not work on most pre 2005 Toyota four wheel drives. It should be noted the ScanGaugeII does not work..." from here: http://www.experts123.com/q/will-the-scangauge-ii-work-on-vehicles-in-australia.html

Last edited:
Thanks mate.
I am still asking myself the question if it will work on mine as you guys can use the Scangauge while I can't on my LX470.

If your concern is whether it works in Australia, I couldn't say.
But if your concern is whether it works with an LX470 vs. a Landcruiser, I can assure you it works with both Lexus and Toyota.

I think it is both the market and the year that are in doubt. I couldn't find a conclusive answer for my Australian delivered 1998 LX470 either, but I did find in the FSM for my model/year (page DI-5):

The connector under the dash is a 16 pin Data Link Connector 3 (DLC3), which has a terminal arrangement that complies with SAE J1962 and matches the ISO 14230 format. There is no complete pinout diagram for the DLC3, but the Chasis Ground, Battery Voltage, and the data line seems to match ISO 14230.

The FSM indirectly refers to the connector when discussing "troubleshooting Multiplex OBD (M-OBD) vehicles", but doesn't mention OBDII anywhere I can find.

SAE J1962 connectors are the OBDII (and EOBD) connector format. See On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OBDII was defined in 1994 and made mandatory in the US in 1996, so it was available for Lexus to use when building my 1998 and your 2002 vehicle Wilsil.

This cable we are talking about claims supports for ISO 14230-4.

Based on the above inconclusive information, I ordered the cable, knowing there was still quite a risk that it wouldn't work in my 1998 LX. But it is only $35.

When I receive the cable and software, I am going to install the software exactly as shown on the supplier's video, selecting Europe as the location, and test if it communicates with the LX, since it appears that the software crack relies on using that location. If that works I will probably try changing the location to Australia. I'll report if it works when I can.

That sounds good RoderickGI.
When I tried a Scangauge2 on that same DLC3 connector, it didn't want to connect.
Let us know how it g oes.
If it works on your car, it should work on mine as well.

Fyi - here's a screenshot from TIS of the Protocols it uses:
(CAN, ISO15765, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, ISO9141, ISO14230)

TISVIMProtocols.jpg

Fyi - usually this would be set to the driver you're using - so I currently have a dropdown for the Tactrix driver and I usually use that; if you have the mini vci I assume there's a dropdown for that you need to select after installing their driver; If you're using Mongoose, there's a mongoose dropdown etc... I only picked the "TIS Techstream VIM" for demonstration purposes.

Last edited:
After reading your wiki link, it seemsthat OBDII has standard 12 pins in use.
This to mine which has only 8 in use.
So no OBDII in mine.

How do I know which protocol my car is using?

And in case anyone wanted to test their DLC3 Cable, there's a utility for that in Techstream:
DLC3Check1.jpg

DLC3Check2.jpg

DLC3Check3.jpg

DLC3Check4.jpg

(I was running this on the computer without anything connected to DLC3)

This site's info seems pretty good but unfortunately it says OBD2 was only required in Australia after 1/2006... and b/w that data point and the scanguage site I linked to earlier that indicated pre 2003 LC didn't have OBD2 it doesn't look good but we'll see what you guys find out.

Vehicle OBD II Compatibility

----------
Is your vehicle OBD II compliant?
All cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped. In general, this means all 1996 model year cars and light trucks are compliant, even if built in late 1995.

All gasoline vehicles manufactured in Europe were required to be OBD II compliant after January 1, 2001. Diesel vehicles were not required to be OBD II compliant until January 1, 2004.

All vehicles manufactured in Australia & New Zealand were required to be OBD II compliant after January 1, 2006. Some vehicles manufactured before this date are OBD II compliant, but this varies greatly between manufacturers and models.

Two factors will show if your vehicle is OBD II compliant:
There will be an OBD II connector, and
There will be a note on a sticker or nameplate under the hood stating "OBD II compliant" or "OBD II Certified".
------------------

There are only 7 ports?

After reading your wiki link, it seemsthat OBDII has standard 12 pins in use.
This to mine which has only 8 in use.
So no OBDII in mine.

Some of those 12 pins are for specific manufacturers or vehicles. For example, pin 1 is at manufacturer discretion, and is used by GM as a single line CAN.

And in case anyone wanted to test their DLC3 Cable, there's a utility for that in Techstream:

(I was running this on the computer without anything connected to DLC3)

This shows only seven pins are tested, and I have to assume therefore only seven are required: Pins 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, 16.

It is still inconclusive for me, as the FSM doesn't list all pinouts in one place, and I can't see mention of the use of pins 5 and 15, which seem to be required for ISO 14230.

Then your link agaisin confirms my thoughts that only pins 4, 5, 7, 15, 16 are required for ISO 14230 communications.

I'm not concerned about OBDII only being required from Jan 1, 2006 in Australia, because it doesn't mean that Lexus wouldn't have included it, and as the LX470 was introduced as a new vehicle in 1998, and different rules applied to ODBII requirements (at least in the US) for new vehicles, I still have hopes.

I will have a look for that emissions sticker later.

Finally, I'm not concerned with the ScangaugeII compatibility list, as their page includes the disclaimer:
"NOTE: If your vehicle is not included in our list it does not mean that it will not work, just that we have not directly tested the ScanGaugeII or had a customer report compatibility on your type of vehicle."
Also, a ScangaugeII not working does not necessarily mean that TechStream will not work.

PS: I love your Techstream subscription expiry agaisin, in 2979 days 0 hours 34 minutes. :)

Last edited:
Well, this is looking less promising.

I can't find any Emission Control sticker (not surprising given the model year), and there are only six wires going into my DLC3 connector, to pins 4, 7, 9, 13, 14, and 16. That pinout doesn't match any of the standards on the PLX Devices page.

I might have to find some time to search through the wiring diagrams to see if I can identify what the wires are carrying. Or I can just wait and test it what it gets here...

Then again, this pdf Hoser linked to back in 2010 ( See https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/396547-code-scanning-lx-ahc-system.html#post6040560 ) equates the DLC3 connection with OBDII, for legacy vehicles 1996 onwards. Confusing, given the pinout.

Last edited:
Had a look at mine:
ports 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 16 are used.

Hmm, the pinouts seem random, or proprietary.

Both yours and mine are LX470 in Australia. Only difference is year.

Yep, and there weren't supposed to be any major changes between 1998 and 2002.

It seems there were some minor changes though, including the DLC3 pinout arrangement.

This is the cable test from mine. Shows only one data line, which I think means that this is not obd2, and not can-bus. Just Mr. T's m-obd. Still works tho', can read data and set options.
cable check.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom