Death blow by Wix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I'm new here and I'm not sure how to do this all. So I'll give it a shot. Here is the short version... I have a '94 fj80 with the 4.5liter gas engine and this past weekend I lost oil pressure. Limped into a Napa parking lot. Learned about the bad luck a WIX oil filter can bring. Looked under the hood and....yup. Napa Wix filter. I went inside bot a K&N filter and changed it there in the parking lot. Started the engine and oil pressure returned to normal....but there is a nasty knock. Temp is good and oil pressure is good so I continued down to my shop and parked it. The knock didnt go away. I'm looking for some direction forward. What can I test? From different guys I've talked to it sounds like I'm looking at an engine overhaul/swap. Where can I source an engine? Is there a non stock engine that is a good option?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Anyone know the new shop address and phone number for Robbie Antonson?

Anyone know the new shop address and phone number for Robbie Antonson?
I have Robbie's cell #, but not sure if it's current and I'm not going to post it on a public forum.

I have a crank, connecting rods, and pistons for a 4.5 that are all in good shape if you can find a good block. I am in Northern New Mexico, but travel up to Colorado frequently and could deliver.

Why is Wix not held accountable???

From an old post I read WIX basically washed their hands of it caus there was no way to prove what the engine condition was like before their filter was installed. They did admit that the filter failed tho.... as far as mine goes it had maybe 3000 miles on it.
I'm not an experienced mechanic so I'm most interested in a running engine that can be swapped...

Sorry to hear this. Look like the problem still persists with those wix/napa filters. As far as what to test, seems like if you were able to tell oil pressure difference in a swap is about all you need to know in terms of what caused the issue. As for damage, you may be needing to tear into the engine to really sort that out. I'm in similar position waiting to figure out if I'm goign to rebuild or try to find used motor to rebuild (because if the cams/crank are too damaged it may be more costly to rebuild damaged engine vs. finding a used core)

Lurv, try contacting Classic Cruisers in Pancha Springs. They may have a running used engine, or, perhaps, they can help locate one. Another person who can help, and is relatively close to you, is Justin at High Country Cruisers (Pagosa Springs). Good luck, d00d.

I've ditched my stock of Wix/Napa filters but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how many of us dodged a bullet on this one given how prevalent these filters are/were. At one point, Wix was pretty highly regarded.

Anyway, sorry to hear this story and good luck on getting your truck back to good working order.

Lurv, try contacting Classic Cruisers in Pancha Springs. They may have a running used engine, or, perhaps, they can help locate one. Another person who can help, and is relatively close to you, is Justin at High Country Cruisers (Pagosa Springs). Good luck, d00d.
Thanks! I've talked with Classic Cruisers. He didn't have anything at the moment. I didnt know about High Counrry in Pagosa....

So while I'm into this rig we'll health check the tranny and T-case. I want to install the disconnect kit (from Cruiser Outfitters) in the t-case. I say this so you guys with more experience can speak up. I wanna learn more...
I dont want to blindly walk into another WIX ghost...lol

I've ditched my stock of Wix/Napa filters but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how many of us dodged a bullet on this one given how prevalent these filters are/were. At one point, Wix was pretty highly regarded.

Anyway, sorry to hear this story and good luck on getting your truck back to good working order.
Seriously. I bought my 80 2 months ago and dealt with weird oil pressure readings while at a stop (would constantly move between good pressure and extremely low pressure, practically on the "L" line). A month into owning it I stumbled across these threads about the Wix/Frans filters; I go to check and it's a fran. Changed it out with a mobil 1 filter and changed the oil with mobil one and the car doesn't come close to the low pressure I was seeing with the Fran. I dodged a bullet, that's for sure.

Silver lining OP is that you're going to have a perfect opportunity to replace things that are typically a bugger to get to. If you haven't done the Pesky heater hose, do that. If any plastic under the hood is yellowing change that (heater water valve, radiator). Replace almost all hoses and fix any seals and orings that are leaking. I recommend going to Partouq.com. Amazing prices if you buy parts in bulk.

I dodged the bullet for sure..... I ran WIX for 4 years without issue on mine until I was "scared straight" on the forum.

Is this WIX problem unique to this engine?? Or is it found on other years makes and models?
Assuming their track record I'm positive it's bad for any car. I saw a video of some guy cutting open numerous filters and the Fran/Wix's were utter garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom