Dealer Says Don't Need To Lubricate Propeller Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I live in S. Cal. I go to Hiro’s Automotive in Costa Mesa. For 21 years they have been great! Forget the dealer and find a good Indie shop.

Good luck brah!

I get 2 years of free maintance, I will just have to try and educate them. I too have had problems getting this done. Last dealer I had to take it in separately to get it done.

I get free oil changes but every time it has been done I smell burning oil for 2500 miles.
I pay for my oil changes. It’s a sad day when the dealer dents your car and you smell oil for months when you park Your LC in the garage.

I wonder about the prop shafts on Sequoias, Tundras, and 4Runners. Do they have zerks?

I know the 3-section shaft in our Highlander is not greaseable, which caused one u-joint to fail at about 150K. The shaft is also not serviceable, which forced me to have to buy an entire new shaft (all 3 sections AND carrier bearings, you can't buy just the section you need), which really pissed me off.

Trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but still... that's pretty pathetic.

4th and 5th gen 4Runners have zerks on the driveshafts. I believe the same is true for the Taco and FJ cruiser.

And so do the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gen 4Runners starting in '84. Zerks likely precede that model too.

Interestingly enough, the 1st gen Runners had a greasing diagram right on the passenger side sun visor - perfect for when you need to convince a shop foreman.

And so do the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gen 4Runners starting in '84. Zerks likely precede that model too.

That is what I expected, but I don't have experience with those trucks. I had a 4th gen and knew that the 5th gen is very similar.

I get free oil changes but every time it has been done I smell burning oil for 2500 miles.
I pay for my oil changes. It’s a sad day when the dealer dents your car and you smell oil for months when you park Your LC in the garage.

Lexus IS much better service then Toyota from my experience

Doing the 60k major service and not trusting what the dealer said, I wanted to know about drive shaft lube on my tundra and found this forum. Next I crawled under my 2008 Tundra 5.7 four wheel drive. There are 3 zirks on the rear drive shaft universal joints and they were due for service. the rear drive shaft slide is sealed.
The front wheel drive shaft has no zirks but likely needs them on the universal joints. The CV axles are sealed.
A little about me: I am a retired Mercedes Benz master guild tech. That means rated in the top 30 techs nation wide during the late 90's.
A little about mechanics: I worked at 5 Mercedes dealerships during my 20 year carer and what I experienced is that even at top rated dealerships 7 out of 10 factory trained techs were actually hacks who only sold parts they knew how to replace weather you needed them or not. It's usually worse at after market shops. So depending on your skill level and most are not skilled enough but either do it your self with lots of study or find a mechanic you trust. That is very hard to do by they way but do your research. Walk into the shops and talk to the techs. notice who is doing heavy diagnostics. Stay away from those replacing brakes, shocks and tires. An example of brakes. My wife had the oil and filt done on her camery every 5,000 miles since new. At 15,000 miles and every service after that she was told her brake pads were low and needed replacing. I declined but always inspected. We replaced the front pads at 70,000 miles and the rear pads at 120,000. that means we were told 50,000 miles early that the front pads were worn out. What ever you do, always request the specs, the measurements and the old parts when your vehicle first arrives at the shop, this will advert 1/2 the fake up sells.

The local Toyota dealer also told me the Transmission service was not needed until 100K. Again they are wrong. It is needed at 60K.
thanks for looking.
Dan

Doing the 60k major service and not trusting what the dealer said, I wanted to know about drive shaft lube on my tundra and found this forum. Next I crawled under my 2008 Tundra 5.7 four wheel drive. There are 3 zirks on the rear drive shaft universal joints and they were due for service. the rear drive shaft slide is sealed.
The front wheel drive shaft has no zirks but likely needs them on the universal joints. The CV axles are sealed.
A little about me: I am a retired Mercedes Benz master guild tech. That means rated in the top 30 techs nation wide during the late 90's.
A little about mechanics: I worked at 5 Mercedes dealerships during my 20 year carer and what I experienced is that even at top rated dealerships 7 out of 10 factory trained techs were actually hacks who only sold parts they knew how to replace weather you needed them or not. It's usually worse at after market shops. So depending on your skill level and most are not skilled enough but either do it your self with lots of study or find a mechanic you trust. That is very hard to do by they way but do your research. Walk into the shops and talk to the techs. notice who is doing heavy diagnostics. Stay away from those replacing brakes, shocks and tires. An example of brakes. My wife had the oil and filt done on her camery every 5,000 miles since new. At 15,000 miles and every service after that she was told her brake pads were low and needed replacing. I declined but always inspected. We replaced the front pads at 70,000 miles and the rear pads at 120,000. that means we were told 50,000 miles early that the front pads were worn out. What ever you do, always request the specs, the measurements and the old parts when your vehicle first arrives at the shop, this will advert 1/2 the fake up sells.

The local Toyota dealer also told me the Transmission service was not needed until 100K. Again they are wrong. It is needed at 60K.
thanks for looking.
Dan

Dan based on your experience at Mercedes how much maintenance and replacement on parts needed on the G wagon my reference i used to live on Maui had a Mercedes talking to the service manager he said Oprah Winfrey has a fleet of 6 Gwagons for guests and he said just about every part on each one of them had been replaced over the years is that your experience with G wagons? How does construction and durability in your opinion compare with the LX/LC?

If the red M! spins out, is there a better grease like SWEPCO?
My mechanics that maintain my manufacturing plants and class 8 trucks use swepco. Its really good grease and we buy it by the pallet. That said in my lc i use molykote g4700, even though I could use the swepco for free. Yes the swepco is top shelf. The molykote is just the cabinet above the top shelf. Its a true industrial brand that doesnt sponsor racecars or anything else, but its really good. The $20 per tube is steep but the cruiser doesnt take that much so it lasts a long time.

Typically toyota puts greaseable joints on 4x4 models. 2wd 4runner/tacoma in my experience has both smaller drivelines and no easy ability to grease. I THINK prerunner tacos have a greasable rear shaft and the same diameter driveline and diff size as 4x4, but I'm not certain. I know for a fact my friend's 2wd 4runner has non-greaseable rear shaft, smaller diff, and less robust suspension parts in general.

A major reason toyota uses the style of u-joint they do.. having the zerk in the cross and caps that have no holes/zerks.. is specifically to prevent all the grease slinging out. Centripedal force keeps it in the cap. Also the added benefit of it being impossible to knock a zerk off on a rock.. though toyota does use zerks in the caps on some vehicles. I helped a friend replace a joint on his 2nd gen taco with an OEM part and the zerk was on one cap.

Also yes, I do not like M1 synthetic grease for how runny it gets when hot. Lucas makes great grease products and that is typically what I use.

What ever you do, always request the specs, the measurements and the old parts when your vehicle first arrives at the shop, this will advert 1/2 the fake up sells.

This is great advice. Thanks.

Dan based on your experience at Mercedes how much maintenance and replacement on parts needed on the G wagon my reference i used to live on Maui had a Mercedes talking to the service manager he said Oprah Winfrey has a fleet of 6 Gwagons for guests and he said just about every part on each one of them had been replaced over the years is that your experience with G wagons? How does construction and durability in your opinion compare with the LX/LC?
I have not worked in the Mercedes dealer since 1999, Ml Class and C, E and S class. Mercedes used to be a well built, hand fit, high maintenance car but real solid. Than came the merger with Chrysler and higher production + lower price to compete in a lower priced market. Today and in my opinion, Mercedes is no longer better than other cars. I drive Toyota as I get more miles with less cost and more dependability.
I find quality in Japanese made products. I buy American (not cars but bearings etc) when i can and avoid made in china as it is almost always inferior.

Potential transmission nightmare:
The 12 quarts of Toyota WS transmission oil showed today. I placed the 12 quarts on the bench, gathered the needed measuring equipment, tools and hoses and just before draining the transmission I looked at the new transmission oil one more time. Whoever packed the oil had sent me 6 quarts of WS and six quarts of T-IV. Toyota T-IV is for much older cars and sells for 1/2 the price. However had I flushed the Transmission with this oil my transmission would still operate Ok. thing is in about 9 months I would be rebuilding a transmission with only 61,000 miles on it and is in like new condition today.
imagine if this guy that sent me the factory Toyota transmission oil was the guy who did my Transmission service at the dealer.

Potential transmission nightmare:
The 12 quarts of Toyota WS transmission oil showed today. I placed the 12 quarts on the bench, gathered the needed measuring equipment, tools and hoses and just before draining the transmission I looked at the new transmission oil one more time. Whoever packed the oil had sent me 6 quarts of WS and six quarts of T-IV. Toyota T-IV is for much older cars and sells for 1/2 the price. However had I flushed the Transmission with this oil my transmission would still operate Ok. thing is in about 9 months I would be rebuilding a transmission with only 61,000 miles on it and is in like new condition today.
imagine if this guy that sent me the factory Toyota transmission oil was the guy who did my Transmission service at the dealer.

Nice catch.

thanks for looking.
Dan

Fast forward to Professor Kelly remarks about 7:40 mark of the video. I am looking forward to video on the toyota transmission fluids and evolution of it. On the first day, I purchased my 2013 lx with 86,000 I had the transmission fluid exchanged. A cheap insurance.

Last edited:

Fast forward to Professor Kelly remarks about 7:40 mark of the video. I am looking forward to video on the toyota transmission fluids and evolution of it. On the first day, I purchased my 2013 lx with 86,000 I had the transmission fluid exchanged. A cheap insurance.

Please post it when you get it. Based on my usage I guess I’m probably good for at least 80000 miles with a WS fluid. Mall Cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom