Dealer Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a little guidance/help:

I have a '08 LX and recently took it to the Lexus dealer for a recall to be fixed. My experience has been pretty fraught with poor customer service, culminating today when my car is in the shop because an employee of the dealer backed it into a pole.

The dealer is fixing the car and has provided me with a loaner while all of this happens. My question to all of you is: are there any questions I should be asking or anything I should expect from the dealer?

A little background to how I got to this post:
  1. I called last October to set up a time to have the open recall fixed. They said the part was back-ordered and ordered by VIN. The agent told me they would call when the part came in.
  2. Come January; I called to check the status. The dealer stated the part was on the shelf and apologized for not calling.
  3. After half a day had passed after dropping the car off, my service advisor called to inform me that, "I need to keep your car for a few weeks." I was shocked; that was how he brought it up (and pretty appalled at what happened too!).
  4. They promised the car would be done tomorrow, but I am now told it maybe next week, but they are not sure.

(I am leaving out some of the petty comments by the service advisor because some of that could be personality and I am not sure if I should be bothered or just let it go)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

Uh, if they damaged your truck while it was in for a recall then they should be kissing your butt to have it fixed, professionally and quickly. To hell with the service advisor, I’d be standing in the GMs office asking for the owner to come see me....

There is a concept involving value loss due to accidental damage to a vehicle. On a common sense level given two identical vehicles, one with a clean record, one that had been in an accident - which one would you pay more for.

I'd suggest asking them for more than just a fix - maybe for a couple of years free maintenance?

With it showing on the service history, it would definitely be hard to hide from a future buyer.

But I feel we’re missing the big picture (literally). What was the damage? Scuffed bumper or quarter panel ripped off?

I’m in the Denver metro area. Could you give me a clue what dealership it was? I want to avoid them at all costs.

I am looking for a little guidance/help:

I have a '08 LX and recently took it to the Lexus dealer for a recall to be fixed. My experience has been pretty fraught with poor customer service, culminating today when my car is in the shop because an employee of the dealer backed it into a pole.

The dealer is fixing the car and has provided me with a loaner while all of this happens. My question to all of you is: are there any questions I should be asking or anything I should expect from the dealer?

A little background to how I got to this post:
  1. I called last October to set up a time to have the open recall fixed. They said the part was back-ordered and ordered by VIN. The agent told me they would call when the part came in.
  2. Come January; I called to check the status. The dealer stated the part was on the shelf and apologized for not calling.
  3. After half a day had passed after dropping the car off, my service advisor called to inform me that, "I need to keep your car for a few weeks." I was shocked; that was how he brought it up (and pretty appalled at what happened too!).
  4. They promised the car would be done tomorrow, but I am now told it maybe next week, but they are not sure.

(I am leaving out some of the petty comments by the service advisor because some of that could be personality and I am not sure if I should be bothered or just let it go)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.
This is just and opinion but I would be more interested in getting it fixed properly at this point. Unfortunately where humans are involved accidents happen even at dealerships. I would take pictures if you haven't already for future documentation if there are ever questions about the extent of the damage. Demand they use new Lexus parts to repair and give them a chance to fix it. Since the vehicle is 12 years old I doubt you will see any real world value loss if you sell it. At least if it were me I would be much more worried about other things than a low speed pole collision on a 12 year old plus vehicle if I was a potential buyer. That being said, asking for a little goodwill free maintenance or warranty can't hurt. Good luck!

Last edited:
Did they tell you why they had to keep it for a couple weeks or try to hide the fact that they wrecked it?

Thanks for your input, everyone. I will post updates as I learn more.

@OregonLC, From what I gather, they damaged the rear bumper cover, lower rear hatch, and possibly the quarter panel. I have no idea what damage exists underneath.

@ridetime, I totally get your point. I am not looking for a new car out of this deal. I love this car and this certainly isn't going to ruin it. I want to get a good fix. I am mostly using you all as a litmus test and to pick everyone's brain to make sure I don't miss any important things.

@bloc, They didn't try to hide it but were not very apologetic about it either. Generally, I am still in shock and want to make sure everything is handled correctly since this isn't something I have ever dealt with before.

I did ask them to take a look at a coolant leak (go figure) that they 'pointed out to me.' I was planning on fixing this myself when it warmed up a bit, but I won't complain if I do not have to. No answer yet on if they want to fix it or not.

IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG

Last edited:
You seem to be very calm about the situation... definitely get the GM of the place involved if not owner. There's no excuse for the lack of effort to be apologetic or get your vehicle fixed and back to you quickly.

Guessing you don't go to this dealership often, or have a relationship for any of the service reps there?
I know I'd be raising hell if I had been in your shoes

You wrote "The dealer is fixing the car and has provided me with a loaner while all of this happens."

ROAD TRIP! Cross country perhaps? Further the better.

If you have a lawyer friend , have that person write the ownership a letter of complaint. That will get them into high gear, making it extremely right for you. The last thing they want to deal with is court. Not good for business

Depending on the condition of the rest of the truck you may have a difficult time blending the damage to the rest of the vehicle. That damage won’t affect resale but I would want the shop to spray probably the complete back and almost all the way to the front of the truck on the damaged side.

That’s what I would push for.

I would get the dealership GM involved at least. You have been more than patient

I would get the dealership GM involved at least. You have been more than patient

especially given the apathy you seem to be getting from the service department. in no way is that an appropriate response! like i said before, they should be kissing your a$$

I'd expect a fully seamless repair using factory components, plus an equivalent loaner. No more, no less. If they push back on any of that at all, then raise hell. Mistakes happen, but there's no excuse for you not being made whole. I wouldn't accept a substandard loaner if it doesn't fit your needs, and I wouldn't accept anything other than a first rate repair.

Funny story, a friend bought one of the first Mini Cooper S models in Georgia, and paid a premium above sticker for that privilege. He took it in to the selling dealer for the first complimentary maintenance service, and the Tech totaled it at 3000 miles on the odo. In GA, this is covered by the owner's comprehensive insurance, not the dealer's. His insurance would only pay depreciated value of the car, and the dealer who sold him the new car (and totaled this one) wouldn't sell the replacement for anything less than sticker price+ until his lawyer got involved.

Another friend had owned a NISMO Frontier since new and babied it. He had it in the shop for regular maintenance when the truck was 8 years old, and got a call from the shop that it had fallen off the lift and was sitting on it's side totalled. Try replacing a one owner pristine babied 8 year old truck for anything close to insurance payout...

Last edited:
You will imagine Lexus dealer offer above and beyond service, sometimes not due to few bad apple. Take things up to the manager or owner, next will be Lexus corporate. And last attorney involve unfortunately that it what it takes to get things straight sometimes. The last thing the dealer wants is to get lawyer and court involved. It will cost them more let alone reputation.

My Lexus GS350 was in for routine maintenance at the local Lexus Dealership. I was called and told the car was ready and i could come pick up. I am standing in the lane watching them pull my car up to me. I see the garage door open, I see my car being driven in, once the garage door was open, and then i watch the guy who just washed the car, crunch the rear passenger quarter panel and door into a yellow concrete pole. I was not the only one standing there watching this happen in disbelief. The guy standing next to me and says, " i feel sorry for whomever is the owner of that car." Still shocked, i said "that would be me." At that point the service advisor rushed out.

Long story short, they took the car to their body shop and the car came back to me 10 days later. The accident didn't show on the Carfax due to their body shop making the fix.

It was a lease, and i did just turn it in a few months ago, but i feel your pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom