Builds Dave's 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20200123_160639.jpg

@Bama4door @Chrisw023
Looks like 34 inches even. I did it as soon as I got home with what light was left. I didn't check tire pressure so I could be a tad low.

Last edited:
Time for an update.

I replaced my y pipe with a magnaflow 23120 and the upstream o2 sensor. Shes nice and quiet now and the job wasn't really too bad. I had to cut off one of the two bolts for the front cat but everything else went relatively smoothly.
I painted the unit with some hi temp Vht in Hope's that this would extend the life a little.
IMG_20200218_204427_541.jpg
20200213_114609.jpg
20200213_163157.jpg
IMG_20200218_131125_981.jpg

Last edited:
2 days after finishing the y pipe install I went wheeling with the Capital Land Cruiser Club. The wife, the dog and I all had a blast. The LC did great and tackled some of the harder obstacles with ease.
Love this truck.
View attachment 2224818View attachment 2224819View attachment 2224820View attachment 2224821
@DominicanFZJ80 flexin

Great meet up! Was an awesome day for wheeling and your 80 was impressively flexin’, as I rolled through the trail, behind ya!

Lighting.

Pfran leds in the interior and 9011s in the front
20190108_063131.jpg

IMG_20190408_194623_828.jpg

20190407_112801.jpg

Pfran interior lights were $30-something dollars for the set and 15 minutes to install. Turns the night into day inside. I just disconnected the plugs for all 4 puddle lights because I don't like that they run without ignition which could conceivably kill the battery.

The 9011s are a huge improvement and the mod to make them fit is easy. I just eyeballed it and clipped the extra off with a pair of wire cutters. Took about 5 minutes

Last edited:
I pulled the heater to free up some space under the seat.
Drop the 2 heat shields over the cats and cut the last length of hose connecting to the blower.
20200824_105118.jpg
20200827_120557.jpg
20200829_165305.jpg
20200829_170559.jpg

I covered the hole with some hvac tape but plan to weld it up properly eventually.

I can fit both of my tools bags under the seat now. 😃

Still suck at updating this thread....

Got a whole bunch of front end stuff that sat in the back of the cruiser for a couple months and threatened to impale me every time someone pulled out in front of me.
20210405_171734.jpg

Sold my 5th gen 4runner and daily-ed the 80 for a few weeks. Other than being really expensive, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Started my knuckles last weekend and it was going pretty well....until I broke a wiper bolt on the knuckle housing.
20210803_183800.jpg

IMG_20210803_184133_728.jpg

IMG_20210803_184134_113.jpg

Bummer. I got a tiny LH drill bit from Amazon that I'll try first, if that doesn't work, I guess the hot.glue gun for metal will come out.

Last edited:
So the broken bolt came out without a fuss. I was able to use a small cold chisel and cut enough of a slot to use a flathead to back it out.

Finished rebuilding the knuckles, along with new rotors, pads and lug studs.

Check out my clean balls
20210907_163051.jpg

You can also see my oddball hardware store bolt. (I ordered some oem replacements)

I also installed my marlink HD steering set.
20210907_163030.jpg

20210907_110305.jpg

20210907_155714.jpg

I drove it around town for a bit. Steering is a little creaky under load but otherwise everything works. Seems to track fine both slow high speed.

I ordered a rear axle set from @cruiseroutfit and I'll start that next week hopefully.

When I was trying to match lengths of my drag link and tie rod I first measured with a tape measure and then layed them on a wood board and made a chisel mark at each end . Then use this to set your new rod and double check with tape measure. I counted threads too but the 555 tres are a Little different so that didn't work for me.

Failed inspection due to leaking 2nd cat so...
IMG_20211031_101951_688.jpg

New 2nd cat. I ordered BRE (bosal) because magnaflow wasn't in stock anywhere but when it arrived it was in a magnaflow box with magnaflow stickers and maganflow instructions. 🤷‍♂️

I painted the cat with "aluminum " exhaust paint same as the y pipe. I'm not convinced it will really buy any more time but it makes me feel better knowing I tried.

I broke both oe exhaust mounts for the muffler and pipe while installing so I ended up using a hodge-podge of parts store universal hangers to keep it from hitting the driveshaft. It worked but it's ugly and still too Close for comfort so I'll order a cat-back system soon. Probably BRE as well. I can't afford a nicer option right now since I'm buying myself some sliders for Christmas.

Updates

I installed a bosal cat back exhaust (now called B.R.E, but comes with magnaflow return label).
IMG_20220207_171605_773.jpg

Also replaced downstream O2 sensor and got a few oem hangers from wits end. Painted to match the rest of the exhaust. Still not convinced this delays rusting but it looks good.

I bought a Hurrican Fab tailgate storage unit during their black Friday sale. Love this thing. I read some complaints about the hinges when crawling into the cargo area but if you're careful where you put your knees its a non issue.
IMG_20211207_151247_190.jpg

Also on black Friday, (I was a good boy this year) I got some wkor sliders in the raw cause I plan on scratching the s#$t out of them.
20220307_103701.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a 100lb lab who camps with me and there's no way I'm hauling his ass up a RTT. Also I'm in my 40s and can't make it through the night anymore without having to pee a couple times, especially if beers are involved. Plus the whole mpg thing, $3k, and top heaviness. Basically I'm just saying RTTs aren't for me. I think they're cool, just not my thing.

Instead, I ended up going with a awning plus room from ironman 4x4. Just used it for the first time Last weekend and overall I'm happy with it.
20220307_105446.jpg

The awning itself was very easy to install. It even comes with a nice ratcheting 10mm wrench. I have yakima cross bars so I used stainless pipe clamps to attach the awning brackets to them. It's sturdy enough and I could use an 8mm on the impact to take it off in a minute or two. It's pretty easy to setup by yourself and takes maybe 3 minutes. Would be done in seconds with two people.

20220307_103529.jpg

The tent material is pretty heavy duty. It comes with a zip in floor which I didn't use since the weather was supposed to be nice. It ended up raining most of the night. Despite that my bed stayed dry. There was some stiff wind gusts too and the shelter didn't bugde.

Not as cool as a rtt and not quite as convenient, but definitely a reasonable alternative IMO.

Last edited:
So I have a 100lb lab who camps with me and there's no way I'm hauling his ass up a RTT. Also I'm in my 40s and can't make it through the night anymore without having to pee a couple times, especially if beers are involved. Plus the whole mpg thing, $3k, and top heaviness. Basically I'm just saying RTTs aren't for me. I think they're cool, just not my thing.

Instead, I ended up going with a awning plus room from ironman 4x4. Just used it for the first time Last weekend and overall I'm happy with it.

The awning itself was very easy to install. It even comes with a nice ratcheting 10mm wrench. I have yakima cross bars so I used stainless pipe clamps to attach the awning brackets to them. It's sturdy enough and I could use an 8mm on the impact to take it off in a minute or two. It's pretty easy to setup by yourself and takes maybe 3 minutes. Would be done in seconds with two people.

The tent material is pretty heavy duty. It comes with a zip in floor which I didn't use since the weather was supposed to be nice. It ended up raining most of the night. Despite that my bed stayed dry. There was some stiff wind gusts too and the shelter didn't bugde.

Not as cool as a rtt and not quite as convenient, but definitely a reasonable alternative IMO.

I thought guys that drove 80s prided themselves on not giving a s*** about gas prices?

I like that ay better than a rooftop tent, though. However, it would be fun to see you haul your giant dog up a skinny ass ladder.

Now that you have sliders I think a Potts run is in order? I just need a front axle and a 100 other things under the 4runner and I'm good to go... :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom