Date code carb identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As stated by rocker not 64 or 74

Date code on side … vac secondary … makes it an 84

Didn’t see that you gave a like to the great information from the first few posts

If it doesn’t match the carb on sor that’s because either it’s been cobbed together from other years or it’s from a market other than NA

If you gave more information in your post about going to sor … you could have gotten a different response… but you used the information from Jim but didn’t give a like to his posts

Its showing that you appreciate the time he took to give us this information… most posts from Jim or Mark or Downey should be liked when they give this information that otherwise would not be known
I appreciate any and everyone's help when it comes to things I know nothing about...such as this. Based on the info here and what I see on SOR's page it does appear to be cobbled together. Now, the question is is it worth it to try and bring it back to it's formal glory or just get a rebuilt/new one.

Mark aka @65swb45 can give you a better idea of what you got .... what is missing and or worth it... he will also have ANY of what you need parts wise and @cruiseroutfit will most likely have any kit you need
Yup, he can definitely bring back to how it should be. Since my truck is a 69 I wonder if that 84 carb will be overkill? Ultimately I have to talk with him and have him suggest the best course of action. Like most things on this truck it has been slapped together with parts from here and there and that is making it a challenge!

Yup, he can definitely bring back to how it should be. Since my truck is a 69 I wonder if that 84 carb will be overkill? Ultimately I have to talk with him and have him suggest the best course of action. Like most things on this truck it has been slapped together with parts from here and there and that is making it a challenge!
Craig, I think a kit for an FJ60 will work just fine for that carb, even if it turns out to be a composite.

That said, I wouldn’t voluntarily put a weak, vacuum secondary carb on a truck that wasn’t even designed for one.

Last edited:
Craig, I think a kit for an FJ60 will work just fine for that carb, even if it turns out to be a composite.

That said, I wouldn’t voluntarily put a weak, vacuum secondary carb on a truck that wasn’t even designed for one.
Mark,
You'll have to forgive my ignorance in all things carb. But, what affect would a weak vacuum secondary have on a truck that wasn't designed for it?
Craig

Craig

I am not going to make it out to Palmdale on Wednesday; I had to cancel my trip. Work-related injury.☹️

Craig

I am not going to make it out to Palmdale on Wednesday; I had to cancel my trip. Work-related injury.☹️
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I'll be off for a week starting on the 19th. Perhaps you'll be feeling better and I can run it by your shop.

I have a 1978 FJ43. Colombian truck. I'd like to buy a rebuild kit for the carb and this thread has been very helpful. We pulled the air cleaner to look for the date code and the only thing stamped close by is the letter "I" and number 20. Per the date code syntax I don't have a year code. Just September 20. Can anyone on the thread provide some insight?

carb1.jpg

What was the throttle bore diameter on the single-bore carbs? What was the Venturi size? Cubic-feet-per-minute rating?
Throttle bore is 40mm. No 1bbl disassembled ATM to measure venturi diameter...

What was the throttle bore diameter on the single-bore carbs? What was the Venturi size? Cubic-feet-per-minute rating?
Maybe you can figure out the cfm by engine rpm? With a rolling start for speed, I got my 3.8L FJ45 up to 90mph on flat ground with the 1bbl.

Full balance and blueprint rebuild.😉

Has anyone had success with a Carter YF on a F or 2F? It has like a 43 mm throttle plate.

The displacement in your motor is easy to understand, but, doesn't the intake charge vary depending on vacuum and throttle plate angle?

There is a manifold and manifold spacer under the carb, also with 40mm diameter. Putting a large carb on a small intake is bad. Ideally the carb is the highest restriction, highest vacuum in the intake tract.

On a later 12 port cylinder head, the 2bbl carbs are either 38/38 or 38/40, with up to 31/35 venturis. Using the Holley 2bbl standards they can be 375cfm.

It matters not how I adjust my Aisan idle mix screw. At altitude, an Aisan throttle blade is adjusted quite steep, so your not technically idling but running on two orifices on the same idle circuit. The choke butterfly seems to starve the main circuit with harder throttle on the factory smogerator, or it makes a shaky idle.

I wouldn't try to bolt a Carter on a 2F insulator with 38mm holes, no, that wouldn't work for many reasons.

Look at the space that 95% of the work must function in. The factory has the primary so close to the manifold edge that they even restricted the flow thru this with a non-circular bulb on the insulator plate. It is a tight curve that the fuel charge must travel thru from the primary barrel. Why not place this function at the center of the intake manifold?

20221208_105707.jpg

yes, welded, and cracked on both sides.

Plenty of clearance on the factory insulator and the intake manifold.
20221208_105424.jpg

Trying to work out exactly which carb we have on our FJ40 for rebuild kit and replacement parts. The truck has a production month of NOV74, and the date code on the carb is 4K6, so again NOV74 (presumably) so likely the original carb. Looking at the SOR website it seems to most closely match the 9/73-1/75 California with EGR, though the truck has been de-smogged and I can't find any sign of the EGR itself on the carb. Based upon this, I need the Cruiser Outfitters CARB60150 (Fits 9/73'-1/75' California FJ40/55) rebuild kit. Assuming I'v identified the correct carb, my question is that there appears to be a pair of missing linkages coming off what I assume is the secondary vac pot? Are these replaceable, or are we just SOL? For easy reference, here is the link to the SOR identification page: Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier - https://www.sor.com/CAT042d.sor?TABPAGE=TAB1#

PXL_20230327_195534341.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230327_195454508.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230327_195431937.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230327_195431937.NIGHT.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Clark

@midknightc3

Kurt (@cruiseroutfit ) may have the parts you need ... used... for that... PM him here on mud or send an email

if he doesn't i know Mark will... 65swb45... but you'll need to hit the min charge of $100 so if your looking for other stuff he definitely will have what u need... or maybe classifieds on mud even as a wanted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom