Dash Recall GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am still over 100 out :p

So what do these cracks look like

Did you just what a crack looks like? It is a line in your dash that opens up over time :p If you havent gotten a dash replacement just sign up. Even if you don't have cracks, or small ones, you WILL crack. The material they made the dashes from in the GX (and other models) just gives up over time due to UV. There is nothing you can do, and you won't be an exception.

OK I guess the last sentence answered my real questions. so do I set up a recall with Lexus, even though I don't have a crack yet?

Yep! They will take your VIN and if you are in the batch with the recall you will get scheduled.

thanks I will check with the dealer in PHX or ABQ

On the list here in Tulsa but my parts guy says I am #145 currently and they are trying to do one or two a week.....

Doesn't matter if you are the first owner or the 10th. Vehicle qualifies by VIN.

Just a note to @DanKunz point. If you have zero cracks, no shiny appearance, etc, they will not order you a dash. Or, at least, they shouldn't. We have to submit pictures of the old dash with every claim. We have to specifically take a picture of the cracks or shiny appearance. So, if the dealer replaces one that doesn't have cracks they will be charged back through the warranty system.

A note on my note... Every customer I have seen come in complaining about it has had a justified complaint. So, it is obviously a very high failure rate.

Look for cracks or shiny sticky appearance and get yours ordered before the warranty extension expires.

My dash is fine now but I'm worried that it will start cracking the day after the replacement program expires. I called the local dealer and they said they will only replace it if it's cracked or if it's sticky. It's sort of sticky in one spot when it's really hot but not when it's cool. Maybe there will be a maple syrup accident before May...

Doesn't matter if you are the first owner or the 10th. Vehicle qualifies by VIN.

Just a note to @DanKunz point. If you have zero cracks, no shiny appearance, etc, they will not order you a dash. Or, at least, they shouldn't. We have to submit pictures of the old dash with every claim. We have to specifically take a picture of the cracks or shiny appearance. So, if the dealer replaces one that doesn't have cracks they will be charged back through the warranty system.

A note on my note... Every customer I have seen come in complaining about it has had a justified complaint. So, it is obviously a very high failure rate.

Look for cracks or shiny sticky appearance and get yours ordered before the warranty extension expires.

I'm up in the Seattle area and just called the dealer. They took my VIN without seeing the car over the phone and I'm on the list. I assume if I came in without cracks they might not replace it, but thank god mine is starting to crack! ;)

ETA:

The dealership actually called me today, and I am on the list. They said there were not many GX's to be done so hopefully it doesn't have me in eternal limbo.

Last edited:
107 on the list in Tulsa and...... they are getting 3 in a month!!!!!!! oh boy!

I'm up in the Seattle area and just called the dealer. They took my VIN without seeing the car over the phone and I'm on the list. I assume if I came in without cracks they might not replace it, but thank god mine is starting to crack! ;)

Scary!! We are supposed to inspect it first!!

Anyone made a claim in Canada? Mine just started to crack recently.
You (we) are out of luck in Canada.
I asked my dealer about it and they looked at me as if I had landed from Mars "dash crack recall? never heard of it, would be very expensive for you to replace..."
I contacted Lexus Canada and they said that american and canadian lexus's are "so completely different in components and construction materials [bullsh*t] that replacement programs in the US don't apply in Canada, and vice-versa".
Lexus USA said the replacement program did not apply to Canada, which falls under a different company (Lexus Canada).
Maybe if I was close to a US dealership I could take a drive down there and try to get on the list there, but who knows if they'd put me on if my truck is licenced in Canada (it was sold in Texas originally, by the way, so is a US GX).
Anyway, the PO got a car upholstery guy to address the main cracks (to mixed results) so I'll live with it. Sure I'd like a new dash, but I don't think it's going to happen.

If you find out otherwise, please let me (us) know.

You (we) are out of luck in Canada.
I asked my dealer about it and they looked at me as if I had landed from Mars "dash crack recall? never heard of it, would be very expensive for you to replace..."
I contacted Lexus Canada and they said that american and canadian lexus's are "so completely different in components and construction materials [bullsh*t] that replacement programs in the US don't apply in Canada, and vice-versa".
Lexus USA said the replacement program did not apply to Canada, which falls under a different company (Lexus Canada).
Maybe if I was close to a US dealership I could take a drive down there and try to get on the list there, but who knows if they'd put me on if my truck is licenced in Canada (it was sold in Texas originally, by the way, so is a US GX).
Anyway, the PO got a car upholstery guy to address the main cracks (to mixed results) so I'll live with it. Sure I'd like a new dash, but I don't think it's going to happen.

If you find out otherwise, please let me (us) know.

Well, I've opened a case with Lexus Canada. The call centre nitwit claims that my GX is a Japanese market truck because carproof says so. He says that all Canadian Lexus are built in Canada (LOL) and that Lexus Japan will honour the dash recall no problem.

He initially wouldn't escalate me but I mentioned that in our household we have a 2014 RX, 2013 GS, and are looking at replacing my wife's Mercedes with another RX in the next year and his tune changed. (All true, we might even buy an IS convertible to replace our SLK at some point.)

This may go nowhere as my Lexus is originally US market as well.

As a backup I called the closest US dealers (approx 2 hours away) and neither had any problem doing the recall. One wanted to see the truck in person and said parts were potentially 18 months out. The other said they'll verify when the truck comes in and that they figure less than a month because they don't have a backlog.

Hey Sam, I bought an '08 about a month ago. Wasn't aware of the dash crash problem until I came across this thread. My dash doesn't have any cracks or shiny spots. It does have some slight, and I mean slight, indents around the passenger side airbag. There's nothing on my Lexus history regarding a dash replacement. I have a 3yr/36k Lexus platinum warranty that came with the car. Should I contact my Lexus dealer and ask about the dash recall?

Everyone should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom