Dash Lights Go Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kev60

TLCA Member:23722
Threads
I have a 1982 fj60 that every time I drive a long time with headlights on or with my speakers very loud (after market speakers and small sub) or even a few minutes with my light bar on my dash lights go out so I can not see my speedometer and other instruments. I am thinking that I need to set up a dual battery system, will this solve my problem or is it something else?

I'm guessing something else...are you blowing a fuse? are your exterior lights going out proportional to the dash lights? is it just the instrument cluster or all the interior night lights? do they cut out, fade, pulse with the speakers, etc.? what circut is your amp and your light bar powered by, and is your light running on a relay?

I'm not blowing a fuse that I know of, and only the dash lights shut off nothing else. And even once I turn everything off it won't turn back on for several hours. Could I be be just overloading that fuse!?

could be overloading the circuit maybe, but if you were overloading the fuse it would be blowing each time. That said, if you have all those things added on an existing circuit, problems are to be expected. Try wiring an independent, fused, auxiliary circuit for your light and amp, and see if the problem doesn't go away.

it is the rheostat that controls the dimmer. There are 3 wires, and they tend to give problems.
That is where to start. I bypassed the rheostat on mine, those old bulbs are pretty dim anyhow!

Well the amp and the lights are directly wired to the battery and an independent switch with fuses already. So they are not connected to the same circuit as the dash lights I belive! And okay I will try bypassing the rheostat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom