1984 FJ60 dash lights out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
hey group
iIam looking to fix my dash back lighting lights. i have zero lights..I checked fuses in the cabin, all seem ok. Before I start testing wires, I figured I would ask the experts on maybe where to start first, hoping you have a quick fix....appreciate everyone's help...

Last edited:
Replace the fuse even if it “looks” fine.
Either that or check it’s continuity with a VOM

Replace the fuse even if it “looks” fine.
Either that or check it’s continuity with a VOM
Which fuse controls the dash lights, if its “guages” I replaced and actually cut off the car. I tested them with a light, but I understand where you are going. Thank you. Also we are talking about the fuse panel driver side closest to door. Right? Making sure I haven’t messed anything. Really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the instrument backlights or the trouble indicator lights (charge etc)..

Can you check if your front parkers and rear tail lights are active when your headlights are on?

There's a relay up under the steering column that controls all parkers, instrument backlights, and rear tail lights.

You should also check you havent got the dimmer switch wound all the way down.

Can you check if your front parkers and rear tail lights are active when your headlights are on?

There's a relay up under the steering column that controls all parkers, instrument backlights, and rear tail lights.

You should also check you havent got the dimmer switch wound all the way down.
My parking lights and tail lights work. I have played with the dimmer, hoping there was a short in the switch. Nothing.

You've twisted the dimmer switch/ knob in both directions? If you twist it all the way counter clock wise makes them go out. Try turning the knob clockwise a bit and see if you get lights back. Also, did you do something prior to not having dash lights?

You've twisted the dimmer switch/ knob in both directions? If you twist it all the way counter clock wise makes them go out. Try turning the knob clockwise a bit and see if you get lights back. Also, did you do something prior to not having dash lights?
Of course. Nope. Bought the truck this way.…

Have you pulled the bulbs to check? My last truck had all of them just burnt out.

Of course. Nope. Bought the truck this way.…
Just checking. I have seen folks on this forum go head over heels before checking simple stuff. Like Dave said, I'd look at that rheostat and start checking continuity and power/ ground there. I think it's pretty unlikely that EVERY bulb is burnt out, but who knows.

I've never seen a legible 60 series schematic (maybe one of you can post it) but I'd definitely do some multimeter work while looking at that.

It's not uncommon for that Dimmer (Rheostat) to get burnt if wires were shorted in that circuit. Remove it and test for continuity and resistance.

That dimmer is NLA but you can get it used.

hey group
iIam looking to fix my dash back lighting lights. i have zero lights..I checked fuses in the cabin, all seem ok. Before I start testing wires, I figured I would ask the experts on maybe where to start first, hoping you have a quick fix....appreciate everyone's help.

The dimmer has failed. I bypassed mine years ago.

IMG_9314.jpg

thanks guys. I have bought two dimmer switches to test with. I have pulled fuses and want to try that prior to digging deeper. Appreciate everyone’s help. Would love that diagram somehow. I can’t find anything on our cruisers like that. Thank you again

Any chance of good quality photos of your wiring diagrams from that manual? I havent seen decent ones yet.
I'll see what I can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom