Dash knockouts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TuffMudder

Still working on my FJ55!
Threads
I tried searching this but didn't see a relevant post

I had a pioneer 8000nex installed into my 90 HDJ81 this week. Apple car play with this unit requires connecting to the rear USB port which has an extension cable

Does anyone know if there is a knockout piece that would allow me to mount the female USB end of the extension cable in the dash so I can make this install a little cleaner?

Thanks!

I don't know of one. Seems like one could be made cleanly out of a standard knockout with a drill, file and some epoxy. It would take some time and attention to detail, but I think it could be done.

I have done exactly that. I use one to charge my phone, the other powers up my tablet when using topographic maps on trails. Dashboard in hallway at present........as you do. CB in ashtray slot is an Albrecht, looks and works fine there.

Dual USB ports..jpg

Regards

Dave

Nice work @Dave 2000. Is there a reason you didn't put two USB ports in one knockout? Thank you both for the info. I was hoping for an off the shelf solution option, but I can make this work

Most currently available switches are for the later models. They typically fit the 100s, but not the 80s.

As @cbpeck said, none of the links posted look like the would fit my knockouts. Mine are curved like @Dave 2000 's. If they are small enough I could potentially use Dave's dremel and epoxy method

@Dave 2000 was the process as simple as cutting a hole to match the plug themn 2 part epoxy to where they meet on the backside?

Where are you mounting the cup holder?

@Dave 2000 was the process as simple as cutting a hole to match the plug themn 2 part epoxy to where they meet on the backside?

Yes, the plug body mounts have threaded holes designed to take screws from the front, this would hold them in place, but of course the screws would look naf, so epoxy from rear, job done.

Regards

Dave

Fast Charge - Dual USB Charger Switch Mount - Blue Sea Systems

I’m looking for a dual usb charger port that fits the 80 series rectangular knockouts like the three just left of the cig lighter. This one seems to be close in size. Has anyone used this Blue Sea USB port in a factory switch hole?

Yup, that's a popular one. Had mine for a couple of years or so. Great quality, works well, and the rubber dust cover is a nice touch. Not the cheapest option, but worth it.

Only note regarding installation is the need to shave the sides down a bit to fit a Toyota slot - easily done with a flat file. Wired mine to a fused constant-hot so I'm not having to dig up keys every time someone wants to get some juice in camp. Mounted it in the same location you noted. If I had to do it again, I don't know what I'd do differently.

BlueSea01.jpg

BlueSea02.jpg

I have done exactly that. I use one to charge my phone, the other powers up my tablet when using topographic maps on trails. Dashboard in hallway at present........as you do. CB in ashtray slot is an Albrecht, looks and works fine there.

View attachment 1682534

Regards

Dave
How do you like that radio? ANy issues with overheating there in the dash? Did you have have trim for the radio to fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom