Builds DannyBCruzin in an FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now I am a bit confused. So, 80 series Al is not referring to a 94 model? The section of dash surrounding the stereo does extend in a narrow strip across top of steering column to end at driver’s door. Is there something more I should know?
Yea roger that sir, I've given u instructions for a different dash.. pls disregard. My bad, got a little trigger happy...

Now I am a bit confused. So, 80 series Al is not referring to a 94 model? The section of dash surrounding the stereo does extend in a narrow strip across top of steering column to end at driver’s door. Is there something more I should know?
Best Buy uninstalled my stock unit but never installed anything (see above posts) lol. Unfortunately I have no advice on that since I didn’t do that part, but it’s usually pretty easy. YouTube knows everything

Progress report: things are happening! I’ve been pretty busy working on the cruiser during this shelter in place. Here’s some things that I’ve done:

1) Engine oil, transmission, transfer case, differentials and coolant service/fluid and filter replacement (where applicable)
2) New OEM belts (all of them lol, thanks @BILT4ME :cheers:)
3) New battery terminals from @Delta VS
4) New group 31 Duracell AGM battery and @LandCruiserPhil battery tie down
5) Had an audio shop clean up and dial in my sound system with some custom mounts for 6.5” speakers in the front and rear doors, as well as a wood panel in the back to mount the amp and Alpine 8” sub
6) CB radio system with Rago Fabrication antenna mount
7) Going to be installing front and rear diff breathers later this week too

Lots more stuff to do, but she’s finally driving really nicely. My tie rod ends didn’t solve the play in my steering, so I’m still working on that. It could just be not being used to a solid front axle coming from my Tacoma, or maybe I need to put my sway bar back on with some @LandCruiserPhil disconnects.I’ll figure it out someday I guess!

7B5E29B0-63D6-4349-B3C2-2403B6F48942.jpeg
FEB0C209-56D8-4A31-8CFE-5103C0568424.jpeg

75D1BF40-24C2-476D-B2FB-A137149B3AB2.jpeg

0B4DB8F1-0B21-4787-9973-8AF305D1221D.jpeg

728CAC9F-EA52-4982-8D1B-E2B2D0BF4632.jpeg

Also, the prev. owner hacked up the double-din surround, so we couldn't get a fit kit in there...it also looks like s***. One day I'll replace all that stuff.

Last edited:
Finally, everything came together enough to take this thing out into the wild!!! Here's some pics from my trip to Poker Flat with some close friends. The Land Cruiser performed flawlessly, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to dive into the 80-series rabbit hole.

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

Progress report: things are happening! I’ve been pretty busy working on the cruiser during this shelter in place. Here’s some things that I’ve done:

1) Engine oil, transmission, transfer case, differentials and coolant service/fluid and filter replacement (where applicable)
2) New OEM belts (all of them lol, thanks @BILT4ME :cheers:)
3) New battery terminals from @Delta VS
4) New group 31 Duracell AGM battery and @LandCruiserPhil battery tie down
5) Had an audio shop clean up and dial in my sound system with some custom mounts for 6.5” speakers in the front and rear doors, as well as a wood panel in the back to mount the amp and Alpine 8” sub
6) CB radio system with Rago Fabrication antenna mount
7) Going to be installing front and rear diff breathers later this week too

Lots more stuff to do, but she’s finally driving really nicely. My tie rod ends didn’t solve the play in my steering, so I’m still working on that. It could just be not being used to a solid front axle coming from my Tacoma, or maybe I need to put my sway bar back on with some @LandCruiserPhil disconnects.I’ll figure it out someday I guess!

View attachment 2311938View attachment 2311939
View attachment 2311945
View attachment 2311946
View attachment 2311947

Also, the prev. owner hacked up the double-din surround, so we couldn't get a fit kit in there...it also looks like s***. One day I'll replace all that stuff.
Was your audio done in LA? I need to find a decent shop to complete mine...

Was your audio done in LA? I need to find a decent shop to complete mine...
Mine was done up here in NorCal, but there's a lot of good shops in LA. What part of town are you in?

During this trip, I found out at the wrong time that the p/o removed the front OEM recovery points smfh. When I got home, I was happy to find out on the forum that you can relocate the rear points to the front, so I grabbed some bolts and washers from my local Ace and did just that. I bought some more D-rings and a hitch recovery point from Rhino, whose products have worked great for me with my Tacoma. Gotta figure out another way though because that trailer hitch sits waaay too low

C9B05D1E-0217-4724-958F-F990F9C6AC7E.jpeg

5451B424-4817-4678-A73B-32954574B554.jpeg

2D4B0737-969C-4044-A02B-AABDB58361C1.jpeg

During this trip, I found out at the wrong time that the p/o removed the front OEM recovery points smfh. When I got home, I was happy to find out on the forum that you can relocate the rear points to the front, so I grabbed some bolts and washers from my local Ace and did just that. I bought some more D-rings and a hitch recovery point from Rhino, whose products have worked great for me with my Tacoma. Gotta figure out another way though because that trailer hitch sits waaay too low

View attachment 2329524
View attachment 2329525
View attachment 2329526

If you find something post it because I've been trying to find best recovery points w stock rear. I took off hitch so no longer have the hitch shackle. My rear points are gone so was thinking about just buying a pair of those.

If you find something post it because I've been trying to find best recovery points w stock rear. I took off hitch so no longer have the hitch shackle. My rear points are gone so was thinking about just buying a pair of those.
I'll definitely do so. I may end up doing the same by just adding some OEM recovery points and removing the hitch

The rear receiver is also known as your rear slider :) they are very low for sure. Looks like you made some great progress and are in the enjoyment stage. Congrats!

The rear receiver is also known as your rear slider :) they are very low for sure. Looks like you made some great progress and are in the enjoyment stage. Congrats!
Hmm, that’s a really good point too lol. Thanks, it’s definitely come a long way, but there’s still quite a bit to do. I still need to install my new Eibach suspension, @Delta VS panhard bracket, rear sway bar spacer, bump stop spacers, Front Runner roof bars and off brand RTT lol

Did another thing: mounted my Front Runner roof load bars and a non-name brand RTT on the cruiser. The tent is a "Rapter Series Offgrid Voyager" rooftop tent, and it heavily resembles the original Freespirit Recreation M55 tents (probably is the same tent lol). The mattress is really comfortable - much more so than my CVT Mt. Shasta from before and on par with my FSR 55" High Country, if not slightly more comfy. All the seams look heavily sealed, the canvas material is nice and thick, and setup is easy. My only criticism is the quality of the buckles on the cover, but otherwise it seems like it's a great tent for the price. These Front Runner load bars are really nice, especially for the price. If I were going with a typical clamshell RTT, I probably would've gone with a full rack to take advantage of the remaining roof space, but since this style tent covers the whole roof, it seemed like a bit of a waste of money. My buddies at Vagabond Outdoors are a FR dealer, so I may add another load bar for the tent and one for a wind fairing, but the setup works just fine right now.

C82EE8FD-EF6E-4FBB-BCC5-02287592E0F4.jpeg

D024C312-05B8-41FE-B53E-916BEAC1B0B8.jpeg

5634B761-49DB-42F6-957E-2DDDC24C6AC6.jpeg

EE035A4C-9AD7-4EBF-86BB-EB59FB6AA4D6.jpeg

8F1EA7E9-47DE-465A-AE5B-496515E2DC42.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah. You're gonna be fine with that setup.

Yeah. You're gonna be fine with that setup.
Can’t wait to go try it out! We actually installed the tent a little differently too. The mounting hardware it came with, although of good quality, was intended for round bars or stock roof racks rather than these wide Front Runner load bars. If you zoom in on the mounts you can see how we audibled the mounting in a very solid way that also doesn’t solely rely on the strength of the inside of the aluminum mounting channels under the tent

Yeah I didn't mount mine using the channels in the extrusion crossbars either. It is probably strong enough but for me clamping the whole bar to the tent mounts seemed stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom