Builds DannyBCruzin in an FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost ordered a new set of flush-mount pods, but something told me to try one last time. Try I did, and this time I inverted the mounting feet - they ended up lining up with the plastic accent piece juuuust perfectly enough to massage the light bars into the mounts. Once I tightened them down, the feet were nice and straight again. Stoked this actually ended up working out! I also ended up deciding to use the switch blanks since they were actually fairly easy to access and had a lot of space behind them. I stole three switches from my switch panel and some of the wiring. Everything came out nicely, just waiting for my fuse taps to show up so I can get the constant-on/independent switch light to come on with the ACC.

0.jpg

1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Swiches.jpg

I was too lazy to put things back together and move the truck, so this is the light output picture I was able to get last night. Not bad for a $55 pair of little 7" bars! I'll get some better ones when I get my fuse tap and button everything back up lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

0.jpg

Also got a new slimmer 30" light bar for the cruiser, as I wasn't really digging the standing height of the dual row 20" I had (which is supposed to be for the Tacoma anyway, but I need to open the bumper mounting points more for the thicc bolts). Now, I'm trying to figure out whether to mount it more forward on the bumper or rearward :bang:

0.jpg

1.jpg

What better time to tinker than when you need a distraction? After doing some light output testing in the driveway, I decided to tuck the bar close to the grille, as the output wasn't blocked nearly as much as I thought it would be. It was not perceivable at all from the driver's seat. With the harness already installed and connected to the battery and switch, all I had to do was drill two holes for the bolts, give a few ugga uggas to tighten it down, and all done! I'm really happy with how these lights turned out. The little bars will be nice when I'm not in front of the pack, as they shouldn't blind the person in front of me while still giving me some illumination, and then the big bar and little bars combined will turn night into day when I'm in front. I'll find a place to get better output shots soon, my I may try to relocate my CB antenna so I can mount a second dust light back there, though...or maybe find a new place for dust lights? I dunno, more quarantine projects I guess lol

IMG-4996.jpg

IMG-4997.jpg

IMG-4952.jpg

IMG-4957.jpg

I've had this little cig lighter expander gizmo that I got from Autozone during a trip sitting in front of the shifter for awhile. I randomly took the ash tray out to see what was there and I saw a nice, flat surface on the bottom. I decided to move the doodad there with some double sided tape, and although it isn't the prettiest I like how it's out of the way now. It'll do until I get some cool Wits-End gear!
IMG-4993.jpg

IMG-4994.jpg

Also got a new slimmer 30" light bar for the cruiser, as I wasn't really digging the standing height of the dual row 20" I had (which is supposed to be for the Tacoma anyway, but I need to open the bumper mounting points more for the thicc bolts). Now, I'm trying to figure out whether to mount it more forward on the bumper or rearward :bang:

View attachment 2485470
View attachment 2485468

Did you say earlier where you picked this slim bar up? I really like how it has no affect on radiator air flow.

Did you say earlier where you picked this slim bar up? I really like how it has no affect on radiator air flow.
Thanks! That airflow factor was a thought in my mind too with how hot these run. I don’t think I linked it specifically, but it’s from superbrightleds.com (link here)

Melted the tire strap mounts onto the trunk assembly and tested the weight capacity. Can confirm it doesn't give a single heck about 245 pounds in the center lol

IMG-6260.jpg

IMG-6264.jpg

IMG-6276.jpg

And the moment we've all been waiting for (read: we = me)...

Finished.jpg

It's complete and installed! Now time for some testing before paint :bounce::cheers:

OCD was killing me, so I MacGyvered a little extendo bracket for my antenna so that I could add a second rear dust light to balance it out. I had two mounting brackets from my old FSR RTT that seem to be made out of stainless steel, so I trimmed one and drilled new holes for the pod light and antenna bolts. Came out pretty good and sturdy.

IMG-6284.jpg

Couple little things done: replaced one of the hood struts so far, but the other one stripped after one turn of the wrench. At least the new strut holds the hood on its own for now, but gotta get the other one off ASAP. I also replaced the old hacked up dash that looked like a tiger installed it

ABE4811A-7928-4D5E-955C-AB75A73C9C8A.jpeg

39200880-32E5-4EEB-B166-607E9DBFA9AC.jpeg

5FD28798-680B-490F-AD3E-39E8E7EFF9CC.jpeg

E38E4CFE-8B72-4467-9572-7AC42538D3F4.jpeg

Now that some of the little projects have been completed, I've been trying to prioritize my next round of projects. Here's what I have so far:

1. Rock sliders
2. Re-gear to 4.88s and add rear locker (not sure if I want to dump the change into getting a selectable front yet)
3. Front bumper
4. Prinsu rack (much more pleasing on the eyes to me and functional with the wind fairing)
5. 37s when these 315s wear out

Thoughts? Ideas on things to add/reorganize?

Well if you are regearing i would lock it. No need to go back in later that way. So i would vote with your money on the front too...

The prinsu rack is nice but the latches are in the wrong place and impact the door gaskets. Bowfin would be a nicer option.

Slidera first out of all of that would be my recommendation but it is your money and easy for me to spend ha.

Well if you are regearing i would lock it. No need to go back in later that way. So i would vote with your money on the front too...

The prinsu rack is nice but the latches are in the wrong place and impact the door gaskets. Bowfin would be a nicer option.

Slidera first out of all of that would be my recommendation but it is your money and easy for me to spend ha.
Yup, sliders first for sure lol hence the #1 on the list. I definitely understand the buy once cry once (install once cry once) for the front, but damn that's a huge price increase :crybaby:

I'll check bowfin out, thanks!

My Prinsu rack doesn't mess with the doors. Barely misses but it's good.
Had to messed around a bit to make it like I wanted.

My Prinsu rack doesn't mess with the doors. Barely misses but it's good.
Had to messed around a bit to make it like I wanted.
Good to know too! I had a prinsu on my Tacoma for awhile and really liked the modularity, but I rarely used it on that application. I want a prinsu (or bowfin) for the full rack now with a fairing and side rails rather than just the two load bars I have currently

the extrusion type roof top bars are very nice. Whatever you get, i recommend ordering some crossbars from tnutz that are about a 1/4inch narrower and get some 1/8th inch plastic caps with through holes. I keep a set mounted to the bottom of my roof top tent so that i can just drop it in with the crossbars already attached, leaving just putting in the end screws which are far easier to get to than the mounts for the roof top tent.

it is 10 series extrusion when you look it up, and you can replace the end plates with things like this (CB-010-E) 10 Series 4 Hole Inside Corner Bracket | TNUTZ | TNUTZ - https://www.tnutz.com/product/cb-010-e/ I have mine replaced on each end and have a camping tarp that is the same distance apart which I attach with clips. Very light and fast awning, cheap too.

Found a local guy to me who does gears for all the hardcore rock crawlers. Including parts and labor, my re-gear is looking like it'll be under $2k - more like $1800. Does this seem pretty reasonable for 4.88s, a mechanical rear locker (spartan) and labor?

Welp, I did a thing today lol. I ordered the parts for my re-gear that were recommended by my local guy for 4.88s and a rear Spartan mechanical locker. I also bought a set of kick-out rock sliders from Rocky Road and a Prinsu roof rack. My OCD was killing me with just the two roof bars and the long tent. I needed to clean up the roof aesthetics and also block a bunch of the wind that was growing to be super annoying! It was on sale at truckbrigade.com if anyone's interested. I was going to get the Bowfin rack, but I saved quite a bit with the sale on the Prinsu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom