DANA 60 Front... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Anyone running this axle in the front or rear of thier 80 series yet?

-Steve

I,ve never seen it and I don't really think you will. First of all the knuckles and the birfs are uber strong as compared to say a mini, 60, 40 etc. Also it has a centered rear so unless you gut the entire driveline there's really no point. It can be done but unless your going small block to atlas to some pro rocks IMHO not worth it. Lets not forget that 80's are still relatively expensive for an all out trail rig. It's comman hat on everything but 80's.

[quote author=moralien link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg49342#msg49342 date=1065748687]
I,ve never seen it and I don't really think you will. First of all the knuckles and the birfs are uber strong as compared to say a mini, 60, 40 etc.

Also it has a centered rear so unless you gut the entire driveline there's really no point.
[/quote]

I think that the 92 that I have, has an offset rear diff....

Was in the Hills for BHCC, didn't the yellow bus break five of those uber strong axles?

I broke three on my 40, after eleven years of wheeling, and decided that was enough for me.

I am building a '92-80, Ram Jet 350, 700R4, Atlas 4.3, and the plan is to install 60's too. I was just wondering if someone else had done it, or thought about it.

Thanks!!

[quote author=Poser link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg49345#msg49345 date=1065749297]
I think that the 92 that I have, has an offset rear diff....

Was in the Hills for BHCC, didn't the yellow bus break five of those uber strong axles?

I broke three on my 40, after eleven years of wheeling, and decided that was enough for me.

I am building a '92-80, Ram Jet 350, 700R4, Atlas 4.3, and the plan is to install 60's too. I was just wondering if someone else had done it, or thought about it.

Thanks!!
[/quote]

All Cruiser's have offset diffs. I was referring to 60's as being centered in the rear.

As far as the short bus goes he was running 38.5's ? That's a lot of tire. Breaking 3, 40 birfs is nothing considering how much smaller they are compared to an 80.
Add to that the fact that you can get longs now and run 38's all day on them.

Don't get me wrong I thing your project sounds sik . It's just I don't really know of any body that has tackled that yet. That would give you some pretty impressive gearing and I hope you keep us informed on the buildup. Maybe even document it for a Toyota Trails. Nolen would love to get a hold of that buildup for out of the box.

Have you thought about a bob job?
Cheers,
Nick

KEEP US UP TO DATE ON YOUR RIG.......SOUNDS TOO COOL. I dont think you will be alone long with the "extreme trail only" 80. they are coming out of the cracks. slowly but surely alot of guys will want to go bigger....or maybe only me. who knows. sounds sick. good luck.

are you going to D60's for width or strength or both....it all depends on what you want.

Christo is a reg here and will pipe in, but IIRC it was 2 Newfields and 3 stockers...the first break occurred early on stage 4 of Hal Johns, he actually busted both at the same time, didn't realize it, changed one, the proceed to bust that one immediately...THEN it was realized that the other was busted, so back to camp to change them both.

and I think it's 40's...

One option would be to send them to Bobby Long for treatment, my longs have survived a year of abuse with a 350 and 38.5's. Another option coming up is an improved Newfield, due out late in Oct I think. Coming both for the 40/55/60/62/mini market and the 80 market. George claims they will be unbreakable, I intend to find out.

or wait for the cruiser crawler and keep stock gearing and still get 100:1.

38.5s would be cake with that gearing in stock setup...plenty of torque, not too much power to make things go "crunch"

*chucks some pennies onto the floor*

http://www.marks4wd.com/Cruiser-Crawler.htm

[quote author=Poser link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg49345#msg49345 date=1065749297]
[/quote]

Yes, but I have thought about it a lot afterwards and it can all be explained. ::)

Woody was there, but the story is slightly different. I broke a prototype Newfield, replaced it with a new Toyota unit. I left some metal pieces in the knuckle. They were between the ball and the knuckle and I did not see or feel them when I did the swap. As soon as I started moving, they come loose and jammed the now new Toyota birfield. It did not sound right, and I broke that one before I could investigate.

Then in trying to get the truck off the trail, I broke the other side prototype Newfield. I guess that is why they are called prototypes.

In camp we replaced both sides with fairly used Toyota oem birfield. Well, they did not last long. I broke one on the trail (same spot, sucker for punishment) opted to get the truck off the trail instead of replacing yet again, and then broke the 2nd while on the road and trying to turn around and back up a steep hill.

So 5 in total. Broke 1 in the Schoolbus earlier this year in Moab when backing up a rock to save the fender from being crushed.

I am now running brand new Toyota oem birfields that has been treated by Bobby Long. I have done the whole Rubicon with these and some local trails and so far so good.

Also, have another friend that runs a 80 series axle in his 4Runner with 42's. He went through about as much as I did, but he is running some newer Newfields again and they seem to be holding.

We also have some new birfields from Australia now, same manufacturer as the Toyota oem ones, but cheaper. Those would be good candidates to have treated and then see how it goes.

For the record the tire size on the ShortBus is 39.5's

I have never seen anyone break the inner shafts. Only time they get damaged is when the brifield explodes and the splines get trashed.

That said, I think a birfield elliminator using Dana 60 parts might be nice. Not as messy to fix in the field.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg49479#msg49479 date=1065794314]

For the record the tire size on the ShortBus is 39.5's

[/quote]

My humblest apologies... :doh:

The rearend on an 80 is barely offset.

steve,i think everone missed the question.if not i still think the answer was no! :slap: :doh:
i think this should be in the hc section.mtcw.

now that i think about it there is a guy on here that has a 502 create with a 60 front..i'll seee if i can find it.think he was from europe(sp?).

Remember, the 80 front is a top pinion. A Dana would need to be flipped or there will be serious driveshaft issues. It's bad enough with a top pinion.

found the truck i was thinking of.i was sorrily mistaken. it has lc axle and a vortech 454.opps my bad

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg50963#msg50963 date=1066181770]
How does "heat treatment" compair to "Cryogenic"
http://www.cryogenicsolutions.com/default.htm

My Sub has a U-joint instead of a birfield.Why couldn't one fab a U-joint. I think someone did this, Birfieldeliminator or something like that. That said I have a bad joint I need to replace on the on the front axle.
[/quote]

Cryrogenics freeze everything down to the point where the steel crystals re-align. Supposed to be very strong and resistant to wear. I could have gotten that a little wrong. I can't even spell metalurgist. :D
Nobody likes a bad joint. There's some u-joint company out there who's t-shirt reads "happiness is a good joint" 8)

Why not 60 outers? Doesnt Allpro already do something like this?

[quote author=eight-oh link=board=2;threadid=6140;start=msg51006#msg51006 date=1066187764]
Why not 60 outers? Doesnt Allpro already do something like this?

[/quote]

To me going to 60 outers without doing chromo axles is pointless. Then again you turn your third into the week link.[bomb] So maybe it's best to try to have the 80 birfs "Longed" and see if it jives...
N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom