Dakota VS. Real Gauges (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the spirit of the title of this thread, I think the more modified the cruiser, the more fitting these gauge clusters are. They are cool, no doubt, especially the inset tach.... and I'd never say it is bad to create things for the 40 series, but if you have an otherwise stock 40 (and the purist in me bugging out), they can be eye sore and distraction. The original look, layout and analog/mechanical gauges are one of the things that give 40's their charm. You asked!

In the spirit of the title of this thread, I think the more modified the cruiser, the more fitting these gauge clusters are. They are cool, no doubt, especially the inset tach.... and I'd never say it is bad to create things for the 40 series, but if you have an otherwise stock 40 (and the purist in me bugging out), they can be eye sore and distraction. The original look, layout and analog/mechanical gauges are one of the things that give 40's their charm. You asked!

The Dakota gauges are nice because you don’t have to permanently modify anything to install the cluster. I was able to use a plug from coolerman to tap into mostly everything needed. I do like the original cluster in my dad’s ‘69 too.

The Dakota gauges are nice because you don’t have to permanently modify anything to install the cluster. I was able to use a plug from coolerman to tap into mostly everything needed. I do like the original cluster in my dad’s ‘69 too.
Question...the guys at the shop where we have taken the LC for the rewire will be making up a new wiring harness for the truck. I am thinking about ordering the Dakota dash in the next day or so. I noticed you referencing "coolerman" for a plug to "tap" into everything needed. Is this because you have original wiring? Or is this something I should get my shop to look into?

Question...the guys at the shop where we have taken the LC for the rewire will be making up a new wiring harness for the truck. I am thinking about ordering the Dakota dash in the next day or so. I noticed you referencing "coolerman" for a plug to "tap" into everything needed. Is this because you have original wiring? Or is this something I should get my shop to look into?
It’s to tap into the stock harness, has the shop done a Toyota harness before? There are a lot of differences between it and a Chevy, especially around the brake/turn/hazards.

I totally hear ya, if it were an old untouched gem, no way would I modify like this. But the idea this truck is lightly modified left the barn many years ago! It's a total restomod for lack of better term.

PDF-76-85.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

s-l1600 (16).jpg

It’s to tap into the stock harness, has the shop done a Toyota harness before? There are a lot of differences between it and a Chevy, especially around the brake/turn/hazards.
They will be replacing the stock Toyota harness / fuses and everything will be set up around the chevy drivetrain. The guy I bought the truck from did everything top notch on this truck but stopped short with the wiring and dash. Under the hood is all modern chevy, etc. but then under the dash is all old. Hard to identify what is what. I figured I should bite the bullet and go all the way. I am thinking the shop would need the dash in hand to determine how to connect to it with the new harness.

They will be replacing the stock Toyota harness / fuses and everything will be set up around the chevy drivetrain. The guy I bought the truck from did everything top notch on this truck but stopped short with the wiring and dash. Under the hood is all modern chevy, etc. but then under the dash is all old. Hard to identify what is what. I figured I should bite the bullet and go all the way. I am thinking the shop would need the dash in hand to determine how to connect to it with the new harness.
Before they tear into it, you might want to search some of the threads that address retrofitting an aftermarket harness and replicating the brake/turn/hazard circuit. It isn’t intuitive, neither is the wiper harness.

Before they tear into it, you might want to search some of the threads that address retrofitting an aftermarket harness and replicating the brake/turn/hazard circuit. It isn’t intuitive, neither is the wiper harness.
Good advice. Thanks. I will get in touch with them now. As a newbi to this truck, I welcome all the advice I can get!!

The biggest issue I see with the Dakota Dash is that their wiring is messy as hell and ugly with all their stupid little BIM expansions and plug ins. If they would just do a single unit with it integrated it would be way nicer. They are also aimed at cheap with the screw terminals as opposed to a plug connector or something which you can loom .

Don't get me wrong they are cool and some great features but their construction and termination leaves a lot to be desired as to does the amount of plug in junk you need and they could do way better.

it was the only one available when we bought it. We had some small changes done to the font and instead of an 8k tach it was changed to 5k

View attachment 2327611

Cool....I am going to see if they can still do the 5k tach. That is so much more practical for the LC I think. Thanks for all of your insight with this!
FWIW:
I looked into this doing this.
Below is the response from DD:

“In order to change the VHX system you have to another design with board changes we would be looking at 4-8 hours ($75 per hour plus shipping) for the design changes and engineer work for the RPM gauge. If this is something you would like to do please give us a call”

FWIW:
I looked into this doing this.
Below is the response from DD:

“In order to change the VHX system you have to another design with board changes we would be looking at 4-8 hours ($75 per hour plus shipping) for the design changes and engineer work for the RPM gauge. If this is something you would like to do please give us a call”
That’s about in line with what we were charged for modifications, however at the time, they didn’t need to change the board to go to 5k but would have to go to 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom