CV Axle replacement while Im at it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here, recently purchased an 2003 LX470 with 228k miles that I'm currently baselining. I am replacing all fluids, heater Ts and hoses, timing belt/water pump. While Im at it, Im going to replace the break pads and rotors, since they look pretty rough. Since my front rotors will be off, I feel like I should replace the bearings. Im pretty confident they are still the original bearings. That leads me to the next topic. When I take a sharp(ish) left turn I hear a faint knocking noise coming from the drivers side wheel. Though I haven't dug through the CV Axle yet, Im going to also guess its original and probably needs replacement. While Im replacing everything else, this should be an easy install with a majority of the stuff out of the way.

Question: If Im going to with the new CV Axle route, should I stick to OEM? or is there another reputable brand out there. This is my third car and will majority be used for light offloading and camping. I do plan on putting bigger tires followed by bumpers and roof rack. Ive been doing a lot of looking on the web for CV Axles, and the prices fluctuate significantly from various online Toyota dealerships. Ive found one for $491, and my local dealer is charging $690. What are some other websites I could use? CruiserTeq only has 1 in stock.

Next question:
While some of the steering and break components are off, Im entertaining the idea of replacing the steering rack. Im sure its find, but while I have cash, Id like to get as much done as possible so I don't have to worry about it later when I spend $4000 outfitting my LX. Im confident I can replace all parts listed above, with the exception of the rack and pinion. For a somewhat newer mechanic like myself, is it possible to do in your driveway with jack stands, or is it better off just paying someone.

Done with with questions, for now. Thank you.

If you are hearing a clunk/knock while turning then yeah, that is CV going bad. There are guys that have had good luck with like the NAPA MaxDrive or equivalent CVs but if you have the money, go with OE (NOT the reman'd OE though) and be done with it. They won't be cheap (full new are like $500+ each).

As for the steering rack, that is one of those jobs that is definitely a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type. If anything check the TREs to see that they are in good condition and possibly replace those but I would leave the rack alone unless there is an issue.

If you are refreshing stuff while you are in there with the rotors off, I would look at the Ball joints and TREs mainly as those are areas that tend to need replacing after that many miles. I know that my TREs and UBJ are in need of replacing and will be done at some point this year. Spend the time getting all the right seals, bearings, maybe new hub flanges since you are replacing the axles, call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and talk with him and his guys to get everything sorted that you need from one place. Other shop to look at that is somewhat in your area is ACC in Atlanta, they are another good Cruiser specific shop.

Yep, clunking/knocking while turning is your CV going dead (skipping spline teeth I think). Had it happen for a loooooong time on my (dad's) LX470 right before the CV axle headed out, allowing the car to move only with CDL on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom