CV axle reboot help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the ball joint installed. A couple of things to note:

The grease fitting thread size does not appear to be the standard 1/4"-28 or 6mm. Shouldn't be an issue as it should come with a fitting. But if you need to replace keep this in mind.

The nut is a 27mm, not 24mm like the original. I had to go buy a socket so I could torque it properly. I wasn't sure what the proper torque should be so I used the value in the FSM, 117 ft-lbf.

1473555881148-745848262.jpg

1473556110759217073917.jpg

I took the hub apart to inspect the wheel bearings, and check preload. They were in good shape so I repacked. The washer and nuts were in good shape as well so I cleaned them up and reused. Replaced the lock washer of course.

I needed 50 ft-lbf of torque on the inner nut to get a preload of 10 lb consistently. Once I installed the lock washer and torqued the outer nut to the same I was measuring 11 lb consistently.

Torqued the drive flange nuts to 24 ft-lbf.

I ended up using a 90520-31007 snap ring for a snug fit in the groove. No play whatsoever.

147355665063929457311.jpg

Good job!

BTW: Interesting ball joint even had a grease zerk. I wonder if they come without also, as factory doesn't have one.

Last edited:
Ok the new ball joint came in with no grease fitting in the box. Upon further inspection it seems the "hole" where the grease fitting should go is not a hole after all but only a divot.

Do I need to grease this? How would I? When I removed the boot to install, I did notice the ball and shaft had a fair amount of a clearish/whitish grease, but certainly not enoung to fill the boot. I assumed it was just to protect the ball while sitting on the shelf and still needed to be greased before driving? Maybe not?

Not sure what to do at this point. The instructions say nothing about greasing.

Thoughts?

Ball joint boot kits from Toyota come with a pre-measured grease packet. Haven't seen it stated anywhere what type of grease it is, but you'll definitely need to grease up your ball joints, by putting the grease in the boots.

This was an aftermarket complete ball joint not just a boot kit. It did not have any grease nor any provision to add grease once installed nor anything in the instructions that it needs to be greased. That's my confusion.

From the wording of the instructions and since it did not contain a grease fitting I am guessing it doesn't need to be greased.

1473728284900-743765045.jpg

Most modern ball joint are sealed and do not need greasing. The grease in the boot kits', from my understanding, is kind of a secondary grease to protect the socket.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will run it as-is and keep an eye on it. I would just feel more comfortable with a boot full of grease.

From the wording of the instructions and since it did not contain a grease fitting I am guessing it doesn't need to be greased.

View attachment 1320767
They gave you instruction that say install grease nipple (zerk) and grease, which grease will fill boot. Then this is not a sealed ball joint. Something not right. Call the company before driving. Either wrong direction or wrong ball joint and/or missing grease nipple.

Edit: I see (second look) they say for ones "with grease nipple". Was boot filled with grease?

Last edited:
They gave you instruction that say install grease nipple (zerk) and grease, which grease will fill boot. Then this is not a sealed ball joint. Something not right. Call the company before driving. Either wrong direction or wrong ball joint and/or missing grease nipple.

Edit: I see (second look) they say for ones "with grease nipple". Was boot filled with grease?

Boot wasn't filled but the parts under the boot were liberally coated in a thick sticky grease. No grease nipple in the part I received nor in the second one I ordered for the fitting. Good idea about calling, I will do that. I have driven it about 3-4 miles already.

Boot wasn't filled but the parts under the boot were liberally coated in a thick sticky grease. No grease nipple in the part I received nor in the second one I ordered for the fitting. Good idea about calling, I will do that. I have driven it about 3-4 miles already.
I'm sure it ok since you saw the grease, but never hurts to check when in doubt.

Just to follow-up on this. I spoke with a technical person at three-five. The ball joint I used is non-greasable and grease should not be added as this may contaminate the existing grease. I have a couple thousand miles on it now with no issues. Seems like a quality part.

Just to follow-up on this. I spoke with a technical person at three-five. The ball joint I used is non-greasable and grease should not be added as this may contaminate the existing grease. I have a couple thousand miles on it now with no issues. Seems like a quality part.

Yes the sankei 555 ball joint comes filled with grease just like Toyota joint. One of the best replacement ball joints you can get other than Toyota replacement arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom