Cut the FAT....80 series on a diet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not yet. Seem to like the A/C too much :). Been getting my 60 ready to put on the road(going to be my daily driver). 80 will not be getting anything done to it till next year, or later this year. Not sure if I put the one tons on it now, or wheel till I break something. Need to fix the steering and add hydro assist. Gear box is shot. Not going to be able to do anymore wheeling this year and first of next due to out of country trips. Scratch that, I will be wheeling a sweet 70 series with the new diesel in Austalia for 2 weeks. All that and I have to move back to Austin. We will see...

Not yet. Seem to like the A/C too much :). Been getting my 60 ready to put on the road(going to be my daily driver). 80 will not be getting anything done to it till next year, or later this year. Not sure if I put the one tons on it now, or wheel till I break something. Need to fix the steering and add hydro assist. Gear box is shot. Not going to be able to do anymore wheeling this year and first of next due to out of country trips. Scratch that, I will be wheeling a sweet 70 series with the new diesel in Austalia for 2 weeks. All that and I have to move back to Austin. We will see...

Damn you got alot going on. Why one tons? you plan on going with bigger tires? personally i won't change out the axles till i break ring and pinions.

Darius, if you go tons... then consider your chromos sold.... Lenny will take your homos, NTTAWWT.

Cutting the fat on this 80 has dramatically increased it's ability to crawl... 40" tires, 4" springs with dropped factory shocks, no sways, aussies F/R.... that's it besides cutting the fat
40510_427537092420_501052420_4795446_5239417_n.jpg

Mine are DIY beadlocks on steel wheels... They are really, really heavy. Especially with the bias Irok mounted to them. I don't have exact #'s but I would guess the tire/wheel combo is in the 80 - 100 lb range.

I would guess quite a bit more. 37s bias? The tires alone are 66lbs

Last edited:
cut more of my fat:

doved 10" off each side of the rear most:

71606_452667437420_501052420_5292844_3148599_n.jpg

That got rid of alot of wheel well too.... no more rubbing

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

I gotta get this on a scale to see how much it weighs.. bet it's still heavy...

VERY Cool and that is a beautiful job on the Dove Tail. I've come to the conclusion that cutting weight in the rear is not too tough when you are willing to cut a little (or a lot). The challenge is in the front...I've removed the wheels wells, trimmed fenders, cut frame, removed all A/C lines condenser and brackets and limited the tube work to a stinger, some support brackets. The only other weight savings in the front would be a fiberglass hood, tube doors, and ditching the abs unit (don't know how to re-plumb the lines to bypass and remove abs correctly/safely since I still street it).

dude that rear door job it's just fantastic .. !

VERY Cool and that is a beautiful job on the Dove Tail. I've come to the conclusion that cutting weight in the rear is not too tough when you are willing to cut a little (or a lot). The challenge is in the front...I've removed the wheels wells, trimmed fenders, cut frame, removed all A/C lines condenser and brackets and limited the tube work to a stinger, some support brackets. The only other weight savings in the front would be a fiberglass hood, tube doors, and ditching the abs unit (don't know how to re-plumb the lines to bypass and remove abs correctly/safely since I still street it).

Thanks guys! It's definitely a job that looks best in fuzzy pics... but I'll get it touched up and then painted... myself of course... not paying for it...
I did all the work in my driveway, the sun, and one day in the rain...

As soon as I get some tubing in and around it ... I'm ditching the doors, but it's for structure right now... Everything under the hood is factory, so there's alot to do there, but doubt anything is gonna "save weight".

Awesome job! I love it!

Nice dove tail

Not sure if it was mentioned. But what about taking the hood off and wheeling without one?

... one day... maybe even sooner... I'll do a fiberglass hood.... My hood will not even stay up with old struts...

why would it be 6000#? If stock weight is 4700#(from the first page of this thread) and he hasn't added anything to it other than tires, I can't see how it would have gained weight.

Only things that was "added" was an additional tailgate and bigger tires.... everything else has been removal of.... but that liftgate = HEAVY sumbitch. Nothing i can do about it though... it's an critical part of my cab structure
I think I'm going to do a fiberglass hood... cause it's heavy too...
The gas tank got a HUGE dent in it... it's going byebye as soon as i can get someone to help me figure out a small fuel cell... like <10 gallons in the front of the bed....

Anyone know how to set up an external fuel pump for an 80?

I would love a fiberglass hood. Is it a DIY project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom