Custom OEM Bumper Tire Carrier

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Zane, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Zane

Zane

I have spent several weeks working on building a tire carrier that I can use without having to replace my factory bumper. I wanted to share what I have pulled together for those who might want to build there own, but didn’t have a place to start. I believe this is a good alternative for those who do not run hard core trails, but would like to get the spare out from underneath their trucks. I know this application will not work for everyone but may be of interest to others. First off I want to thank Byron Arthur for giving me his old tire carrier he fabricated and was no longer using so I didn’t have to buy a new spindle. Plus he also let me let me borrow his welder. I also got some help from Bob Garrett. He allowed me to bounce ideas off of him as well as I modeled my carrier off of a Slee carrier that Christo build for Bob several years back.

Current stage of build: All spot welded in place and still must weld it all together with full welds throughout. I also need to add the latch system, prime, paint, mount and put bumperett back in place.

Specs: 3/16 2x2 square tubing for swing out, 3/16 steel plate for mounting Spindle bracket, 3/16 angle for Spindle bracket support, 3/16 2x3 tubing for main bracket arm, Slee Offroad Spindle, and a 2000 lb locking PULL-ACTION TOGGLE CLAMP from McMaster-Carr part # 5071A62

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. Zane

Zane

Here is a pic of the bracket that will mount to the frame.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  3. Biff

Biff

nice, pretty simple and practical. Wish I had the welding skills to make something like that.

4. Zane

Zane

I have no welding skills, just spot welded it together and will have someone help with the full welds.

5. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    It looks really similar to a setup that I ran for 3 years. It works real well for basic trails, but I tried to go easy on the really rough stuff. I built my prototype out of 3x3, 3/16 wall steel tube and 1/4 plate back in 2001.

Good job, it looks like it came out really well. You used a better spindle setup and the latch choice is nice. What would the price point be? I'm not looking to buy, but it looks like a solid build and the question needs to be asked. :D Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.