Cummins R2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would wait until I had driven both. Also the 1HD T is a known quantity, but the Chinese Cummins might start smoking at 100k for all we know.

Yea, beyond excited for this. Only a moron would swap in a 1HDT with this as an option.
I think that remains to be seen. Would likely be a much more difficult swap from the perspective of wiring and drivetrain (no word on adapters for Toyota transmissions and I would be very surprised if anyone puts in the effort for the HD toyota transmissions). I think there is also an advantage to having a fully mechanical diesel. Price is also still unknown.

I may have been superlative for the sake of dramatic effect. Agree, still a lot of unknowns at this point.

The nail in the coffin at this point is that a 1HDT will technically never been EPA legal unless in a vehicle over 25 years old.

I know, I know there are parts of this country that don't check closely enough, or at all, but the effect on resale value can't be denied. The 1HDT is a gray market motor, plain and simple.

Now, with regards to mechanical to electronic injection, I mean come on. Mechanical doesn't hold a candle. Reliability, efficiency, combustion quality, thermal control, power...every aspect of a diesel motor is improved by having electronic injection. It's some weird, prepper belief that says "mah truck can't have no damn 'lectrics, cuz they'll fail me when the zombies come" They fail to take into account the sheer diagnostic power that comes with electronic injection. My retarded, 6 month old nephew can tell you exactly what is wrong with my TDI with a $200 laptop and a $8 cable.

Now, with regards to mechanical to electronic injection, I mean come on. Mechanical doesn't hold a candle. Reliability, efficiency, combustion quality, thermal control, power...every aspect of a diesel motor is improved by having electronic injection. It's some weird, prepper belief that says "mah truck can't have no damn 'lectrics, cuz they'll fail me when the zombies come" They fail to take into account the sheer diagnostic power that comes with electronic injection. My retarded, 6 month old nephew can tell you exactly what is wrong with my TDI with a $200 laptop and a $8 cable.

I can look or listen to a mechanical pump engine and work out what's wrong with it. But, maintained correctly they very rarely fail.
In 14 years I have encountered 2 air leaks(on 2 different engines) and the odd flat battery.
The other downside to computerised fuel injection is the cost of repair. You can probably double the cost of fuel pump repair on modern electronically controlled pumps
The Royal Automobile Club says that 80% of the tow homes from outback Australia are electronic malfunction from dust, water and pounding from rough roads affecting the systems.(average tow home cost without trailer $8000)
You maybe able to diagnose the problem with a laptop,fixing it maybe another thing.
If its not there ,it don't need fixing.
Sure there is the benefit of extra power, maybe less fuel consumption, but it comes at a price.

I was reading some road tests on the Cummins powered diesel Fotons, they all remark on the narrow power band. This seems to be fairly normal on small 4 cyls that rely on lots of electronics to make big HP/Torque figures. I have no doubt it can be improved but then they don't comply with emissions laws.

Thankfully I don't need to convince you just how much better electronic injection is. Fortunately, the entire automotive machinery industry has accepted electronic injection as the gold standard.

I can't comment on the powerband for the 2.8, but the 1.9 TDI feels very tractable at almost any rpm. Miles ahead of the mechanical IP's that proceeded it.

The nail in the coffin at this point is that a 1HDT will technically never been EPA legal unless in a vehicle over 25 years old.

I know, I know there are parts of this country that don't check closely enough, or at all, but the effect on resale value can't be denied. The 1HDT is a gray market motor, plain and simple.
I live in a free country, apparently. EPA who?

Normally I would agree, and I love having OBDII in my car for a number of reasons. However, for a vehicle used in locations far from civilization, I think there is something to be said for being able to drive home by jumping the starter and hot-wiring a single solenoid.

Thankfully I don't need to convince you just how much better electronic injection is. Fortunately, the entire automotive machinery industry has accepted electronic injection as the gold standard.
Did they accept it or was it mandated by emissions regulations?

Last edited:
I live in a free country, apparently. EPA who?

Normally I would agree, and I love having OBDII in my car for a number of reasons. However, for a vehicle used in locations far from civilization, I think there is something to be said for being able to drive home by jumping the starter and hot-wiring a single solenoid.

Did they accept it or was it mandated by emissions regulations?
Realistically, it was probably a combination of public demand for greater power without decreasing economy, and seeking out lower emissions.

I'm confused now, are you not in favor of cleaner burning, more powerful engines?

Realistically, it was probably a combination of public demand for greater power without decreasing economy, and seeking out lower emissions.

I'm confused now, are you not in favor of cleaner burning, more powerful engines?
For a 4x4 I place more emphasis on simplicity than I would for a purely road-going vehicle. For my purposes the moderate advantages of lower emissions and increased power available from a common rail diesel do not outweigh the benefits of a manual pump diesel which include not having an ECU, wiring, sensors, or an electric fuel pump.

For a 4x4 I place more emphasis on simplicity than I would for a purely road-going vehicle. For my purposes the moderate advantages of lower emissions and increased power available from a common rail diesel do not outweigh the benefits of a manual pump diesel which include not having an ECU, wiring, sensors, or an electric fuel pump.
Despite what everything says about modern motors being more reliable.

All good, this is a the same, tired debate this forum has seen far too often. To each their own.

Despite what everything says about modern motors being more reliable.

All good, this is a the same, tired debate this forum has seen far too often. To each their own.
Do you think there's a reason that mine trucks and work fleets continue to use 7x trucks equipped with the 1HZ motor?

I can't comment on the powerband for the 2.8, but the 1.9 TDI feels very tractable at almost any rpm. Miles ahead of the mechanical IP's that proceeded it.

I understand exactly what you get out of electronics, you get a diesel that acts like a petrol engine without the go anywhere attributes of an old school diesel. You get fuel injection pumps that die when they get a belly full of bad fuel, some of them cost $10000-$15000 in the Toyota stable.
Reliability figures can be very rubbery, they don't usually take into account down time + cost which is much greater with electronics.
The home mechanic can not fix the electronics in most cases.

I thought they were going to be in the $5K range. You can buy all the main engine parts now on Ali Baba and the engine block is only $850USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom