Cummins R2.8 in my FJ62 - Questions for those that have converted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@beachandMTNs & @staggrlee

Is this "boot up time" unrelated to getting the 6L80E programmed in some way? I heard you need to get the 6L80E setup for a R2.8. I'm doing my swap now, and bought my 6L80E from zero gravity as a "r2.8 kit" will I need additional programming or is it just ready to go?
I also bought my transmission from Zero Gravity. They didn't have the kit then but put together everything I would need. I plugged everything in and it worked right out of the box. I was worried about the same thing, would it need to be tuned or maybe a better tune. Now when I bought it I did give all the info, my gears, transmission and wheel size.

I also bought my transmission from Zero Gravity. They didn't have the kit then but put together everything I would need. I plugged everything in and it worked right out of the box. I was worried about the same thing, would it need to be tuned or maybe a better tune. Now when I bought it I did give all the info, my gears, transmission and wheel size.

Strange, I didn't give them any information other than it was for an R2.8. I'll figure it out I guess.

Any luck with your cruise control?

@beachandMTNs & @staggrlee

Is this "boot up time" unrelated to getting the 6L80E programmed in some way?

I don't think it's related to programming. Probably just the TCU<->transmission still handshaking and it gets interrupted. Would explain why it mostly works but occasionally doesn't if you don't wait the ~20s for the Murphy gauge start indicator.

I don't think it's related to programming. Probably just the TCU<->transmission still handshaking and it gets interrupted. Would explain why it mostly works but occasionally doesn't if you don't wait the ~20s for the Murphy gauge start indicator.
Is the ‘wait to start’ really 20 seconds long? Or am I thinking of the grid heater indicator?

Depends on the temp- I think the fastest I have seen is 5 seconds or so

So there is a different indicator on the murphy gauge than the grid heater wait to start? Seems like you two are referring to two different things. Sorry about all the questions.

So there is a different indicator on the murphy gauge than the grid heater wait to start? Seems like you two are referring to two different things. Sorry about all the questions.
No problem! After one of the updates to firmware the Murphy gauge will now light up with "Wait to Start" when you turn the vehicle on. I don't have the "wait to start" LED or lead activated so I only use the Murphy gauge. Hopefully that answers your question. This issue isn't really related to the wait for start at all or the cummins engine, it's an issue with the transmission controller needing enough time to boot up.

I have two indicators, the Wait to Start message and the grid heater LED wired into an unused SpeedHut 4-in-1 gauge LED. They don't turn off at the same time. The LED will go off a couple of seconds before the gauge message. But yes, two different things performing the same function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom