Cummins R2.8 in my FJ62 - Questions for those that have converted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working with my builder to get my FJ62 on the road. R2.8 and transmission are in and now just sorting out all the odds and ins. Using the 6L80e 6speed auto with controller from ZeroGravity. My questions are as follows; where did you put the murphy gauge? Would love to see a picture and, has anyone worked out a Cruise Control? I know that is a luxury I really don't need but I make long road trips and really, it's a must. My Builder, Offroad Werkz in Ventura CA also built my CJ7, I love the R2.8 pushing that little thing around and am looking forward to having it in my FJ. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1528.jpeg

IMG_1218.png

Some have a Lockable hand throttle as a cruise control of sorts. Only the 2.8 is drive by wire throttle isn’t it?

Yes, fly by wire. I was hoping that someone put together a small controller that could plug in. I would need some type of speed input.

Nice, wouldn't mind seeing it as you're local to me. I've been seeing a number of 60s pop up around here.
I have seen a lot of them as well. A few years ago I would see them every once in a while but now quite often. It should be done in a few weeks, Brett down at Offroad Werkz is doing the work.

You could try to play around with some of the CAN bus specific cruise control stuff.

Could be an option?

You or the shop would have to splice into the pedal harness or hope that a patch cable can be made / purchased.

Sorry a Segway on your topic, So you guys figured out that it can me legally registered I’m here in CA?

Sorry a Segway on your topic, So you guys figured out that it can me legally registered I’m here in CA?
Nope. No way legally. There are ways to get around it but none are legal. Use a vehicle that is older and does not require smog, use a vehicle that was diesel before, register in a non-smog county - but you can never sell it in California.

@beachandMTNs any updates on the project or insights on real world performance of your setup? How do you the setup, what mpg are you seeing, etc.

Thats Tors shop rig before he wrapped it, and swapped in the 6LE80 /black box / 80 transfer case. And added coil 80 axles front and back.

Tor's 60 is a thing of beauty. Meticulously done. *sigh* if my 1HDT goes kaput a R2.8 is what I'd go with...

@beachandMTNs any updates on the project or insights on real world performance of your setup? How do you the setup, what mpg are you seeing, etc.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I just saw this.
So I have about 6000 miles since the conversion. I had significant vibration from the engine and swapped out the engine mounts to the ones offered from AXIS Industries. Huge difference! Now engine vibration is what I would consider normal, I may make the same swap in my R2.8 powered CJ7.

I love this conversion it has really changed the drivability of my 62. I currently have 4.10 gears and 31" tires, no plan to change either. I'm running around 2250 RPMs @ 70 MPG, at that speed mileage is about 22MPG. (55MPH gets you 30MPG). The 6L80e is really good and has "learned" over time and works well. The controller hiccups once in a while which requires me to turn off the engine and restart. Luckily I know before taking off! I have been wanting to do a youtube video of the install, once I have that done I will post it. The only thing I really want done (if I can find a way) is to get speed control installed and working.

My 60 has the R2.8 installed by Torfab...I’ve got around 5k on it since the install. I’m running stock 3.70 gears and an H55F and love it! I get 22-24 mpg average with 285/70/17’s. The only issue I have had is that the temps rise to about 207 at highway speeds going through the passes. Not to big of a deal bc apparently they can run slightly hotter than gas? I’m new to this diesel thing, but, have really enjoyed the performance of this motor!

My 60 has the R2.8 installed by Torfab...I’ve got around 5k on it since the install. I’m running stock 3.70 gears and an H55F and love it! I get 22-24 mpg average with 285/70/17’s. The only issue I have had is that the temps rise to about 207 at highway speeds going through the passes. Not to big of a deal bc apparently they can run slightly hotter than gas? I’m new to this diesel thing, but, have really enjoyed the performance of this motor!
207 is okay, on hot days it may go higher. Are you having any issues with engine vibrations?

The Zero Gravity 6L80e TCU issue is probably not waiting long enough before starting after turning the key to On.

I found it takes a bit to "boot", and when it doesn't have enough time to, I can't select a gear. If this is what you have happening and wait for the Murphy gauge to indicate it's ready to start, you shouldn't have this problem.

The Zero Gravity 6L80e TCU issue is probably not waiting long enough before starting after turning the key to On.

I found it takes a bit to "boot", and when it doesn't have enough time to, I can't select a gear. If this is what you have happening and wait for the Murphy gauge to indicate it's ready to start, you shouldn't have this problem.
Yes I have found the same thing. Funny enough sometimes I just get in and turn the key and go and it works fine. Just depends on the day! I have noticed if I haven't driven it in a few days it happens more often, like it has some type of volatile memory or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom