CSC Club/Group adjustments? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After the Friday meeting, Events/Trails - ►► CSC January 17 2020◄◄ NOT TO BE MISSED which had the largest turn out i can recall in a long time, i got to thinking about what if CSC became more autonomous? What would happen to csc if mud went down?

What if the CSC did something like their own forum? Linked from mud and still listed on mud but redirected to their on forum. As an example, see how the Colorado group does it. Click the link below and scroll to CO rising sun 4wd club and select and explore. They're a great group.

Seems like doing it this way would hedge against mud issues and further preserve / protect the integrity of csc online info, as well as the csc site having more activity.

*** I have no idea what's involved with a transition like this or if it's worth it. Just ruminating.

Interesting thought. Not a simple thing to do or maintain but I think it merits further discussion.

Not simple at all. TRAL did this, took a crap-ton of time to set up and maintenance is a PITA. Features we take for granted on MUD, like pic re-sizing, attachment management, etc. cost money and/or are not available on other platforms. And then after several years, we lost everything. We're now in the process of creating another forum on yet another platform, and the headache begins again.

We felt like we had to do it to be more inclusive of non-Toyota-owning members. CSC doesn't have that problem, and in the 15 years that I've been on Mud I've never experienced more than a hiccup in service and nothing's been lost. Think hard about this.

Not simple at all. TRAL did this, took a crap-ton of time to set up and maintenance is a PITA. Features we take for granted on MUD, like pic re-sizing, attachment management, etc. cost money and/or are not available on other platforms. And then after several years, we lost everything. We're now in the process of creating another forum on yet another platform, and the headache begins again.

We felt like we had to do it to be more inclusive of non-Toyota-owning members. CSC doesn't have that problem, and in the 15 years that I've been on Mud I've never experienced more than a hiccup in service and nothing's been lost. Think hard about this.

Out of curiosity. What was the old platform you were using, and what are you migrating to?

Out of curiosity. What was the old platform you were using, and what are you migrating to?
phpbb, and Wix web development platform.

This has existed for a long time: Copper State Cruisers

best part of that site is the archive of prior trip/trail reports; not sure how often it gets updated these days . . .

agree'd. Mud isn't going anywhere. If it ever does, let's address it then.

For now, I vote we stick with what we've got

Mud is functional but definitely behind the times. Facebook is absolutely better even more so with the ability to create events now on Facebook. You don’t see major manufacturers advertising on Mud like they do on Facebook daily. That should tell you all you need to know... the world is on Facebook and Instagram, not Mud. Look at Casa Grande Four Wheelers Facebook page or any of the other clubs.

I ditched Facebook two years ago and Instagram over a year ago. I'm not going back.

I'm good with Mud. Someone has already done the hard work for us. It doesn't cost us anything to maintain. It would be nice if there was a way to archive what we have, if something were to happen to Mud, but I'm not really that worried about it.

I ditched Facebook two years ago and Instagram over a year ago. I'm not going back.

I'm good with Mud. Someone has already done the hard work for us. It doesn't cost us anything to maintain. It would be nice if there was a way to archive what we have, if something were to happen to Mud, but I'm not really that worried about it.

The TLCA, 100 series, and 80 series FB groups are pretty useful resources for buy/sell parts... but not even close to a replacement for mud.

For free archiving stuff... this site does a pretty good job:

I do think we need a CSC Instagram account. I see lots of people tagging #copperstatecruisers but it would be nice if they could actually tag @copperstatecruisers and we could livestream events/meetings etc. and it's a lot more useful than FB for posting pictures of ROTMs.

I do think we need a CSC Instagram account. I see lots of people tagging #copperstatecruisers but it would be nice if they could actually tag @copperstatecruisers and we could livestream events/meetings etc. and it's a lot more useful than FB for posting pictures of ROTMs.

+1

I'd be willing to help with the account if needed

Anti-Facebook here as well. MUD is good and agree on IG account (yes I know FB owns IG).

Last edited:
*** I have no idea what's involved ...

In IH8MUD's case, it's about $30,000 yearly....servers, data transfer, on-site backups, off-site backups, software, etc. Time is free.

Holy Sh*t @woody, 30k! Seems like quite a bit. Thanks again for this great resource. I'll consider myself skooled and this musing retired.

Last edited:
Holy Sheet @woody, 30k! Seems like quite a bit.

It can be done cheaper, probably half or less. Same reasoning behind purchasing OEM parts ;)

I spend a couple hours daily on other sites related to the forum software, the various addons, forums geared towards forum admins, etc....ensuring the setup here is updated and secure, plus researching additional features that might be useful. THEN researching those developers to ensure they aren't flakes (there are a bunch, and I've screwed that up more than once).

7TB+ of monthly data transfer :eek:
The server spec as of Sept 2018 (our last major move)
Code:
32 Cores @ 2.6 Ghz (2 x E5-2640 V3)
128 GB of DDR4 ECC RAM
120 GB of Redundant SSD (2 x 120 GB in RAID 1) 
1.6 TB of NVMe Flash
20Gbps Bonded Network

I think we've upgraded the server since then....FYI, that server "move" was from Dallas to SLC and not one user noticed that it even happened :) We DID have one user report a split-second of downtime 10ish years ago when we moved from NV to TX, but considering I was on the lakebed for KOH, I guess that was understandable ;) I know major software updates/changes have caused down time, but always scheduled as best it can.

I have a sysadmin in Kansas City that does the hard labor for this stuff, and he's been good for the 10ish years I've had him under contract.

I DO appreciate the concern for site security, longevity, etc....but MUD ain't goin' nowheres ;)

Keep it simple..who's got time to be clicking here and there. There is no such thing as security. If they want it they will get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom