Cruiser Rattles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever put together an article on how to reduce road noise? I remember reading some tips from a couple of you guys. I was just thinking it'd be nice for everyone, especially the daily driver types to be able to find advice on how to tighten things up a bit, reduce the door, spare tire, jump seat rattles and other road noise. If anyone has some tips, send them this way. I have some web space I can post info.

A big thing is to replace all 8 door hinge bushings every year. I do it when I reinstall the hardtop for winter.
The <75 two piece doors are worse for rattling than the later monoframe doors. Take them apart, if any brackets inside half busted (like mine did) weld them up. Get good thick and stiff weatherstriping, and adjust+lubricate the door striker and catch thing. Replace/install weatherstripping on the rear hatch and doors to help reduce rattling from back there. On my tire carrier the adjustable rubber bolt thats supposed to press it outward to put pressure on the latch was too short and the rubber had fallen off. Some rubber from an old radiator tube epoxied on there fixed that.
A lot of it is just common sense small stuff, but it adds up to a rattly noisy cruiser!
I like the idea of an article. Get woody to throw it on the tech page when you're done!

I just put my hardtop back on my 74. I put new 1" wide foam insullation (get it in 10' rolls at Home Depot, it's the self adhesive kind) along the tub where the top sits. I also replaced my rear hatch seal (in a desperate attempt to stop water leaks...didn't work). For the first time ever while I have owned it I put a new seal up on top of the window frame. That is a HUGE difference. No more wind or whistling. The rattles have all but gone away from the top. New door seals are next and it should be pretty damn quiet. I also have new door pins and bushings. Those helped alot too, $10 well spent there. New hood latches and hood pads will help if you have noises up front, again another cheap fix.

Good luck

I leave the top, doors, hatch, wife, and kids, at home and they don't bother me one bit. If the wind bothers me I turn up the stereo. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom