Cruiser Head (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a design of mechanical systems and CAD typa guy. Heat transfer and fluid mechanics is interesting dont get me wrong, it just isn't my flavor. I'm trying to get more into Control systems and the like.
If anyones interested in control system applications and more you can check out these big nerds channels. Pretty cool stuff.

I can vouch for @RDub. He's such a good engineer that he made it all the way to retirement recently!

Yeah, I got out of the heat transfer business after my first 10 years. Heat transfer is a bit like EE stuff (which I have learned to like after all the years) in that the action more or less takes place out of sight. I ended up in surgical devices, mostly handheld electromechanical assemblies and some robotics applications at the end. Much better fit to be involved with products that have moving parts. Controls is a world in itself, and I applaud you for taking it on. Special folks, controls people. Impressive.

Here's a result of heat transfer in action:

Desktop.jpg

This was a platform fire that occurred a few months after the Deepwater Horizon accident in the Gulf of Mexico. It just so happens to be the first offshore platform I designed right out of college at the tender age of 24 (45 years ago in 1978). It's located about 110 miles off the coast of Louisiana in 340 feet of water. Here's a photo of the platform just prior to launching it from the barge:

Vermilion Block 380  %22A%22 Platform.jpg

Last edited:
@ChaserFJ60 I was totally lost at the beginning of my first controls class, but by the end I was tutoring classmates for the final ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've found that the more you start to understand something the more interesting it becomes.

Shop Update:

Currently and until further notice
The plug and play variants of the USB charger will be discontinued. The DIY variants of the USB Chargers will still be sold until I exhaust my supply of circuit boards.
The Trailer harness's will be sold until current supply is exhausted.
All painted variants of every item are discontinued.

Currently the USB chargers are marked as Sold Out but will be up for sale again temporarily with the intent to exhaust my supply.

As some of you know I'm an Engineering Student in College. I'm getting to a point in my academic career where more time is needed focusing on school work and finding internships. Cruiser Head is not closing and most items like the Radio Brackets and Bezels will still be sold, In the future all items will be available again but I cant say how long it will be. I will still be accessible through all usual methods to answer any questions.

Install tomorrow. Stay tuned. Im running the rear defroster switch as an on/off switch for my air compressor. Going to try painting a translucent white sheet of plastic with black and then laser cutting the air compressor decal out of the black but still leaving some white. Hopefully it will end up looking like an oem air compressor switch. Guess we will see how it turns out.

The center black portion is the most difficult part to sand. Could have spent a little more time sanding and filling there, but id say this came out 99% perfect

Sanded with 80, 120, 220, 320, 400, sand paper, then a ton of coats of SEM 42013 Fill primer, hand sand primer with 400 grit, then wet sand with 600 and 1000 grit sand paper. Grey is SEM Colorcoat 15163 Presidio. Black is Sem Colorcoat 15013 Landau Black. Then top coated with SEM colorcoat 13013 Satin Gloss Clear.

Masking tape for the inside corners was thin Tamiya Masking tape for curves. I think 5mm or 10mm

iPObKMoh.jpg

LGslbgph.jpg

Last edited:
Install tomorrow. Stay tuned. Im running the rear defroster switch as an on/off switch for my air compressor. Going to try painting a translucent white sheet of plastic with black and then laser cutting the air compressor decal out of the black but still leaving some white. Hopefully it will end up looking like an oem air compressor switch. Guess we will see how it turns out.

The center black portion is the most difficult part to sand. Could have spent a little more time sanding and filling there, but id say this came out 99% perfect

Sanded with 80, 120, 220, 320, 400, sand paper, then a ton of coats of SEM 42013 Fill primer, hand sand primer with 400 grit, then wet sand with 600 and 1000 grit sand paper. Grey is SEM Colorcoat 15163 Presidio. Black is Sem Colorcoat 15013 Landau Black. Then top coated with SEM colorcoat 13013 Satin Gloss Clear.

Masking tape for the inside corners was thin Tamiya Masking tape for curves. I think 5mm or 10mm

iPObKMoh.jpg

LGslbgph.jpg
Great work! It looks fantastic

Just need to do the air compressor decal for the defrost switch and the dash is done. Dont have the lockers yet, so when you twist the dial it just shoots air out of the solenoids, and the compressor works.

E5rwxFah.png

DXDc1bbh.jpg

Was able to lose this entire part of the ARB harness in the process

4LGLgq1h.jpg

Just need to do the air compressor decal for the defrost switch and the dash is done. Dont have the lockers yet, so when you twist the dial it just shoots air out of the solenoids, and the compressor works.

E5rwxFah.png

DXDc1bbh.jpg

Was able to lose this entire part of the ARB harness in the process

4LGLgq1h.jpg
How do you like that head unit? I would love that but with a real volume knob on the bottom left

How do you like that head unit? I would love that but with a real volume knob on the bottom left
Man I’m not going to lie. Not having a knob for volume kinda sucks sometimes but other than that one gripe it’s freaking awesome. Alpine makes a similar headunit. I THINK it has buttons on it

@dbbowen Awesome looking! I have been debating the switching setup on my rig. I wonder if anyone has used that 80s diff lock switch, successfully, to lock an OEM rear with Eaton front? Carling switch seems to be the only way with the oem lockers and no computer to keep voltage off.

@dbbowen Awesome looking! I have been debating the switching setup on my rig. I wonder if anyone has used that 80s diff lock switch, successfully, to lock an OEM rear with Eaton front? Carling switch seems to be the only way with the oem lockers and no computer to keep voltage off.
I’ve not really looked into it, but I think some people use the oem 80 series locker control box when they add lockers to their 80 series. You could wire the rear wire to thag box and the front wire to the relay for the Eaton front.

I kind of wish I swapped to the fj62 rear wiper (for the intermittent function) and rear heat switch with an 80 series defrost on the left of the cig lighter but didn’t feel like doing the extra wiring. @ChaserFJ60 maybe dash 4.0? Hahahahah. Dudes got to be tired of making bezels for me by now

I’ve not really looked into it, but I think some people use the oem 80 series locker control box when they add lockers to their 80 series. You could wire the rear wire to thag box and the front wire to the relay for the Eaton front.

I kind of wish I swapped to the fj62 rear wiper (for the intermittent function) and rear heat switch with an 80 series defrost on the left of the cig lighter but didn’t feel like doing the extra wiring. @ChaserFJ60 maybe dash 4.0? Hahahahah. Dudes got to be tired of making bezels for me by now
Not at all, Its good CAD practice! I always like working with new ideas

The TuRD badges are back and only available for digital download at the link below. If you know a guy with a 3D printer or other means to produce a part, here ya go.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom