Cruiser Fasteners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
I have looked high and low and this is my delema, we are slated for a bone stock frame off resto. It will entail the works, powder coating, dozen new parts etc.

We have been purchasing yellow zinc fasteners from a local company, the quality is not the issue. I would like to stick with the factory styled bolts that came with the washers affixed. Plus I do not like the fasteners that use 13 Mil heads instead of twelve.

The company can sell me these peices, no less than a 1000 pieces which I would not be interested in.

Any other vendors in the US other than SOR?

Thanks
Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

For small quantities, the larger NAPA (Genuine Parts) stores around here (NC) stock the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) fasteners, which is what you want. It took some amount of talking to get the sales drone to understand what I wanted. We found them in their catalog and he walked back in the warehouse and came back with the JIS bolts I needed. You just have to be persistant. Kinda' pricey, but I just needed 6 to hold the skid plate on.

I agree, the funky 13mm heads suck. Then you have to always have the oddball socket in your travelling tool kit.

John Sherwood
Charlotte, NC

Maybe a inappropriate question, but if you are doing a frame off resto, why you switch to the new standard for all the fasteners?

Bolt with a captured washer (sometimes refered to Sems type) are abundantly used in the automotive industry to aid installation. When I did my frame off restoration I switched over. I fortunately have access to the stuff that they use in the assembly plants - grade 10.9, galvanized, captured washer, nylon coated threads, bull nose for easy threading, etc). I did not want anything to do with the original fasteners because I had a hard time getting them off (I snaped a few heads off even when using heat :mad: ).

Can you get the Japanese fasteners with a high hardness rating? I image that your endevor would be costly if you need a lot of them. I used a ton of M6 and M8 bolts when I did mine.

I agree that mixing the head sizes sucks sometimes, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue if you change all of them over.

Just my thoughts...
By the way, there is a local suplier for these fasteners here in the Detroit area. They are called Motor City Fasteners, and you can buy in somewhat small quantities - 50 or so. I would imagine that they would ship anywhere.

... Just some thoughts ...

Thanks for the input, I will continue to search for the fasteners here in Canada as that is where we are located.

I might stick with the yellow coated zinc fasteners at grade 10.9, originally they sent me 8.8 which is OK for body parts but not for axles etc.

As for the factory fasteners braking, I am sure that 20 years of rust did not help either. I like the factory units and prefer them for assembly with the captured washers and the bull nose.

I will go online and see if a can find something through NAPA.

Thanks again
Rob

Call 1-800-wurthUSA sell JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard fastener kits - I've had one for years and I consider it must have.

Whazzup Sherwood?

-Stumbaugh

BTT

I am looking for JIS fasteners, preferably a set of assorted sizes. Found this thread searching for sources of JIS but the guy at WurthUSA didn't seem to know what I was talking about. . I have been searching the Internet too haven't had much luck. I did find a source here http://www.nutsandbolts.com/assortment-metric-jis-flange-nut-bolt-155pieces.html but didnt really want all flanged. Can anyone point me towards a good source of JIS fasteners?

Rob, there is a place in Port Kells in Surrey that sell metric fasteners. Unfortunately I can't remember the name (it could be "Metric Fasteners" but that would be too easy) and, being in Guatemala, I don't have a Vancouver telephone book to look in. I know they are a huge warehouse so there is a decent chance they'll have what you need.

Rob, before you go the SOR route for the bolts and such.........why not try the dealer? SOR is prolly just gonna have the same the dealer can get......and I would expect for more $.

I have gotten a ton of OEM bolts from my dealer,

John

Most common bolt ona FJ40 is eiher a M6 1.0 (10 mm
head) or an M8 1.25 (12 mm head) bolt. These are all
JIS nuts and bolts, which are 1mm smaller in the head.
So 'Standard' metric bolts are 13 mm head for an M8

Common sizes:

M6x1.00 in 16 - Suggest buy 50

M6x1.00 in 20 - Suggest buy 50

M6x1.00 in 25mm - Suggest buy 50

M8 x 1.25 in 16 - Suggest buy 50

M8 x 1.25 in 20 - Suggest buy 80

M8 x 1.25 in 25 - Suggest buy 150

M8 x 1.25 in 30 - Suggest buy 50

M8 x 1.25 in 35 - Suggest buy 150

Flat washers in M6 - Suggest buy 150 plus 30% split washers

Flat washers in M8 - Suggest buy 250 plus 30% split washers

Flat washers in M10 - Suggest buy 100 plus 30% split washers

Flat fender washers in M8 (OD about 30mm) - Suggest buy 100

Nuts for M6x1.00 - Suggest buy 50

Nuts for M8x1.25 - Suggest buy 150

Nuts for M10x1.25 - Suggest buy 150

>If it's smaller than M6 or larger than M8 then it's probably a dealer
item, >like manifold studs or glove compartment screws. There are
several special >bolts for the hangers, and some have different
attributes than others. When >you put them on you can see why some have
larger flat washers than others >or are a little longer or shorter, for
example.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sparky_Mark said:
Maybe a inappropriate question, but if you are doing a frame off resto, why you switch to the new standard for all the fasteners?

Bolt with a captured washer (sometimes refered to Sems type) are abundantly used in the automotive industry to aid installation. When I did my frame off restoration I switched over. I fortunately have access to the stuff that they use in the assembly plants - grade 10.9, galvanized, captured washer, nylon coated threads, bull nose for easy threading, etc). (snip) ...

Kinda reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time" ... Did you have a pair of pants with some large pockets in 'em?

I bought two boxes (1000 pcs each) from a fellow cruiserhead when he was stationed over in Japan....it does make it nice to have some on hand. It is good to hear of a few other possible sources.

bk

Hi All:

"Radd," why not buy the bulk box of 1000 JIS fasteners, decide how many you need to keep, and sell the rest to other 'Cruiser shops or Cruiserheads?

For instance, I've been interested in geting like 30 each of the common fasteners used on the 40/45 Series.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

west coast fasteners in burnaby B C has the flanged bolts,12mm head but they are 8.8 not 10.9.Good for body,thay look corect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom