Events/Trails Cruise Moab, Who is going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am going to need to remember to take my 7pin connector off before I hit the trails. I am going to have to tow my tailer back home when I am done.
Thank you for reminding me of one of my forgotten to dos. I’m not going to CM, but have been meaning to explore tucking that 7 pin jack up higher somehow….its really exposed in the stock location.

Thank you for reminding me of one of my forgotten to dos. I’m not going to CM, but have been meaning to explore tucking that 7 pin jack up higher somehow….its really exposed in the stock location.
Ya I need to remember, when I get there and un-hook my trailer, to take it off so it does not get damaged on some of the trails I am doing.

Ya I need to remember, when I get there and un-hook my trailer, to take it off so it does not get damaged on some of the trails I am doing.

Set a location and date based reminder in your phone and set the pin in the Arena. When you pull into the arena on that date, your phone with say "Hey Rob... protect that 7-pin"

Had a few extra moments this morning so I got my CB all set up for CM. Having a CB is a hard requirement according to the website. I don't otherwise use CB so this is the setup I went with:

Midland 75-822 wired to 12v socket in 2nd row console. I don't have a way to test or tune the antenna, so it probably sucks but this is the one I have from Amazon.

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

I am going to need to remember to take my 7pin connector off before I hit the trails. I am going to have to tow my tailer back home when I am done.
If you’re lazy just leave it on and the rocks will take it off for you

seriously though I’ve done imogene, black bear, and alpine loop and the most abuse mine took was that a rock rubbed off the little nub at the bottom of the plug cover. If your spare is still under the truck the harness is pretty well protected.

Honestly, I find it a little frustrating that CB is still listed as required. Clarity and reception are just so bad compared to the most basic FRS units within trail-group ranges. When in trail groups, I’m on HAM, and then monitor whatever FRS channel is chosen.

Jeep Jamboree is moving to FRS as the nee minimum format, and I wish CM would too.

Last edited:
If you’re lazy just leave it on and the rocks will take it off for you

seriously though I’ve done imogene, black bear, and alpine loop and the most abuse mine took was that a rock rubbed off the little nub at the bottom of the plug cover. If your spare is still under the truck the harness is pretty well protected.
Ya, I still have the spare under, but I have seen too many pics in the post your wheeling damage to the 7 pin. I figure with how easy it is to take it off and put it back on better safe than sorry.

Honestly, I find it a little frustrating that CB is still listed as required. Clarity and reception are just so bad compared to the most basic FRS units within trail-group ranges. When in trail groups, I’m on HAM, and then monitor whatever FRS channel is chosen.

Jeep Jamboree is moving to FRS as the nee minimum format, and I wish CM would too.

Every year we have the debate about standard CB vs FRS/GMRS vs ham, but the final decision makers always go with CB. When I brought the topic up in fall 2018 at a Cruise Moab Committee meeting, it ended up being a very passionate 2 hour conversation, and the majority at the time wanted to stick with CB or go ham which doesn't work well due to the test and licensing requirements. The group was much more open when I suggested switching from renting sat phones to buying Inreach devices at the same meeting however, and I think we get a lot more functionality like being able to see where each trail leader is in real time during the event (saving money each year too after the initial purchase in year 1). I wouldn't be surprised if we switch to FRS / GMRS next year due to the accessibility, quality, and ease of use, but it would be very helpful to get more feedback from participants to help encourage the committee one way or another.

I'm not going to be critical (constructive or otherwise) of an event I have never attended, and I have deep appreciation for how difficult it must be to meet the needs of a large and diverse group of cruisers. I also fully understand their logic in requiring CB over other options, I just don't happen to agree that CB is best minimum standard given the wide availability, low cost and better performance of FRS. I would never expect them or anyone else to make HAM or even GMRS the standard given licensing requirements. That said, despite the $150 investment in a CB setup I will only use for CM, the CB requirement will do nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the event and I regard it as a non-issue for me personally. Maybe I'll feel differently after a full week of using CB, which I have zero experience with.

Frankly, I'm just glad they mandate trails comms, and it seems like a lot of the trails have HAM frequencies identified so maybe the CB use will be limited.

I'm not going to be critical (constructive or otherwise) of an event I have never attended, and I have deep appreciation for how difficult it must be to meet the needs of a large and diverse group of cruisers. I also fully understand their logic in requiring CB over other options, I just don't happen to agree that CB is best minimum standard given the wide availability, low cost and better performance of FRS. I would never expect them or anyone else to make HAM or even GMRS the standard given licensing requirements. That said, despite the $150 investment in a CB setup I will only use for CM, the CB requirement will do nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the event and I regard it as a non-issue for me personally. Maybe I'll feel differently after a full week of using CB, which I have zero experience with.

Frankly, I'm just glad they mandate trails comms, and it seems like a lot of the trails have HAM frequencies identified so maybe the CB use will be limited.

With ya on all of that.

That discussion aside, an inexpensive HAM even without a license is still helpful for clear monitoring/listening. As you and other HAMs know, monitoring is 100% legal & useful...and emergency transmission is also legal.

Like you say... Event is awesome & these questions are minor in the vast scheme of fun.

So back to the fun stuff...

Here’s a dhot from this fun little crazy-8 “dirt-track” that you come across in the middle of Poison Spider trail....
36BC8588-F614-4953-ACB6-179173F075D3.jpeg

Fins...optional little bump...
839CAEEA-D6F0-4140-8B38-C2C1FC5CF544.jpeg

And one from Hell’s Revenge...
1616881277562.jpeg

Moab is truly uniqye.

7F43F65B-0BD1-4207-A683-3FCA49158294.jpeg

That last shot from Top of the World is my favorite of yours. I hope to get the same exact shot for myself on Saturday.

That shot was taken by @indycole . (as are a LOT of images I’m actually in). The sunlight that day was a little weird, so B&W seemed to work.

There really is no spot like it. Until you’re tgere, it reslly is hard to appreciate how super-high the drop is.

That last shot from Top of the World is my favorite of yours. I hope to get the same exact shot for myself on Saturday.
I switch my Saturday trail to Top of the World. I will take yours if you take mine. ;)

Anybody have experience camping at the Arena? Whats the situation with regard to campfires? I'll have my Weber Q for cooking but should I bring my propane fire pit or will wood fires be allowed?

Anybody have experience camping at the Arena? Whats the situation with regard to campfires? I'll have my Weber Q for cooking but should I bring my propane fire pit or will wood fires be allowed?
Wondering some of the same things. Are some parts of the Arena better than others to set-up camp? Not sure what day I am going to get there yet. I could show up as early as Monday or Tuesday. Not sure which one yet.

Hey, I noticed on a You Tube video that at the start of the San Rafael run, the trail goes under I-70. From the video, I couldn't tell how tall that underpass is. Any issue with a lifted 200 with a roof top tent fitting thru?

It’s basically a sand/gravel parking lot. Campfires have been allowed in the past and a ’group’ campfire exists.

Hey, I noticed on a You Tube video that at the start of the San Rafael run, the trail goes under I-70. From the video, I couldn't tell how tall that underpass is. Any issue with a lifted 200 with a roof top tent fitting thru?

No, non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom