Cruise Moab 2012 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jon,

Good to catch up with you also. Good lock with the trailer. It looks like a great way to camp!

After driving the first part of Kane Creek, I have decided I don't like off camber trails!! There were a few sections that caused a bit of a pucker factor! I just wish I could have seen a few of the creek crossings. It was the whole point in choosing the trail!

The first obstacle just tears wagons up because of the steep approach/departure.
D7K_2815.jpg

That second obstacle is sketch and often causes some sort of damage as you navigate the tight right turn. Photos don't capture the pucker factor. I had an especially hard time convincing myself to push on the skinny pedal and luckily had great spotters.
D7K_2844.jpg

D7K_2858.jpg
D7K_2815.jpg
D7K_2844.jpg
D7K_2858.jpg

After driving the first part of Kane Creek, I have decided I don't like off camber trails!! There were a few sections that caused a bit of a pucker factor! I just wish I could have seen a few of the creek crossings. It was the whole point in choosing the trail!

We didn't see your wagon on our way through Kane on Saturday, glad to hear you got things all sorted out Jerry.
There was not a lot of water in any of the crossings, but a little bit of a tug was needed at one point where some had collected. :doh:
I agree with you on the off camber, especially us weirdos who seem to enjoy all that extra weight on the roof.
P1040919.jpg
P1040960.jpg
P1040996.jpg

Just looking at all those "Pucker Factor" pictures make my butt itch!! I feel better that I'm not the only one it bothers.

You got to love Utah back county trails. Randy & Gary in his silver FJ-45 drove out to Kane Creek Thursday evening to take me back to camp; (Thanks Guys!!) I was forced to leave the Cruiser overnight with the driver's door propped open against a high lift jack and all my gear inside. In my rush to leave, I forgot my camera on the front seat! In any SoCal trail even the tire prints in the dirt would have been stolen. In Utah, I did not give it a second thought!

We got the wagon back on the road by Friday Afternoon. It took driving to Grand Junction for a wheel bearing to complete the repairs. Otherwise the axle replacement went very smoothly and drove over 700 miles home with no issues.

Last edited:
I had a great time on the overnight run in the Swell. Great to see everyone and spend the day on the trail.

swell_adventure_21.jpg

We took the VDJ78 out to stretch its legs.

swell_adventure_30.jpg

The camp was perfect and in a beautiful spot

swell_adventure_14.jpg

The trail was just the right mix of fun and scenery. Kurt did a great job as trail boss

swell_adventure_26.jpg

Paul May and the Lone Warrior Saloon. Thanks for the awesome beer Erik

swell_adventure_33.jpg

Wed. night was really fun.

Rest of the pictures

Short, cheesy Youtube video

Thanks to Wasatch Cruisers and Cruise Moab for putting on such a great event.

Here are my contributions, a quick video of the Kokopelli overnighter and our photos. I'm working on a video of our Moab trail runs too and I'll post it up once I'm done.

Clicky to Embiggen for 1080p Goodness

December Pre-Run on Fins N' Things

Cruise Moab 2012 - a set on Flickr
Full Photo Gallery Here

First Camp at Fish ford
7002778670_a57d9d3011_c.jpg

On the Trail
7148924953_13f6edf600_c.jpg

Whats left of Dewey Bridge
7148946035_c75579f966_c.jpg

Crossing the Dolores... I think I might have exceeded the 27.5" maximum fording depth a little
7149072529_f5692577bd_c.jpg

It's even deep on an 80 with 35's!
7002905362_d3e1089c66_c.jpg

RHD Diesel Awesomeness! You Canucks get all the fun toys!
7148991241_44863c11b0_c.jpg

Playing in the River, snorkels are cheating!
7149024399_f3724c6685_c.jpg

Heading up to Top of the World
7003033092_23efcf59c7_c.jpg

Top of the World
7003171422_1f9ec115b5_c.jpg

Moving On... note the "expert" strap job on the jerry can
7003205786_7d945f412e_c.jpg

The 60 all flexed out on Rose Garden
7149395663_5858ca9878_c.jpg

Me coming down the stock-height scrape-fest that is Rose Garden Hill
7003315732_ee3e5b7368_c.jpg

alpendubber flexin' the 80
7003338500_19231e734a_c.jpg

There's the worst of it, I need some skid plates! (No the stock lunch-trays don't count)
7003437454_f1264b4959_c.jpg

Fins N' Things
7149521597_9d56725be9_c.jpg

Following bluecruiser on Hell's Revenge
7149550443_231eba71a6_c.jpg

Droppin' in on Hell's Revenge
7149566639_78bcc90624_c.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
3600 km (2237 miles) round trip
172 US gallons of diesel
$733 worth of fuel
Cruise Moab=priceless

I cruised down solo in my hdj81 this year but with a small group from Canada. Jason, his brother Darryl, their Dad Els, and Jason's daughter Julia in his hjd81, and with Paul and his son Aiden in their Tacoma.

Day 1 (Monday) in Moab was for leg stretching after being on the road for two days, so we went to Arches National park and hiked up to the Delicate Arch. Fantastic place.

Cruise Moab 2012 - Arches National Park pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

Day 2 (Tuesday), still pre event, we then went and did Hells Revenge. Just an awesome trail.We caught up with Gary and Woody and crew in the 45's and UTV's, and Gary spotted Jason and I up The Gate:

Jasons turn:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Jasons 81.wmv - YouTube

Then my turn:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Enigma's 81.wmv - YouTube

My in cab camera view (sorry for the narrow view, had it clocked the wrong way):
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Hells Gate bottom view.wmv - YouTube

Pictures from that day:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Hells Revenge pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

And a 3 hour tour video jammed into 5 minutes:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Drivers POV.wmv - YouTube

Day 3 (Wednesday) was event tech inspection and signing in. I was going to go do Lockhart Basin with some friends and the Copper State crew, but I had a steering leak and some bad noises to fix.
Thanks to Greg Bowie for the factory service manual and his EPC program, and big thanks to CDan for all his wisdom and help. If anyone else ever experiences a leak from a failed washer under the adjusting screw on the steering box, a copper brake washer and some teflon tape works like a hot damn. The bad noise turned out to be a slightly loose/worn pan hard bushing on the frame mount, which CDan diagnosed and then we tightened it up. Tech was a breeze after those repairs. I think the rest of the day we spent lounging at the pool.

Day 4 (Thursday) was Golden Spike. What an epic trail, with a little bit of everything Moab has to offer on one long days trail ride.

Pics from the day:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

And some video:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike - Part 1.wmv - YouTube

Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike - Part 2.wmv - YouTube

Day 5 (Friday) was Dome Plateau. A very mild trail, 2wd for all of it really, if I had 2wd, but some gorgeous scenery. We were able to check out some neat caves, a dead cow, and some old mining cabins.

Cruise Moab 2012 - Dome Plateau pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

Friday night was the big dinner and raffle, where I won a nice tire repair kit from Power Tank. Paul missed out on the new tires by ONE number! And Jasons dad won a hi-lift.

Day 6 (Saturday) the final official day of the event, had us signed up for Kane Creek Canyon. There was some new creases in my seat after some of the very narrow and off camber sections had been cleared.
This trail is quit a bit different than what Moab had offered us on previous trails. Virtually no slickrock, but lots of loose sand, rocks and granite, along with some good branch scraping along the creek bottom. This was more like 'wheeling back home, just a lot hotter ;)

Pics:
Pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

in cab montage:
Cruise Moab 2012-Kane Creek.wmv - YouTube

Thanks again for everyone's help, the wonderful people I met, and to Rising Sun for hosting this incredible event.

I will be back.

Glad to hear the gear box is still dry.......That was a good campground fix......:lol:

Awesome Photos and videos Enigma! I am jealous of your diesel HDJ81's and your footage from Golden Spike looks like a great time, I have yet to run that trail and after seeing your videos its at the top of my list!

Liking this one.

Caught the action at 1:48

3600 km (2237 miles) round trip
172 US gallons of diesel
$733 worth of fuel
Cruise Moab=priceless

I cruised down solo in my hdj81 this year but with a small group from Canada. Jason, his brother Darryl, their Dad Els, and Jason's daughter Julia in his hjd81, and with Paul and his son Aiden in their Tacoma.

Day 1 (Monday) in Moab was for leg stretching after being on the road for two days, so we went to Arches National park and hiked up to the Delicate Arch. Fantastic place.

Cruise Moab 2012 - Arches National Park pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

Day 2 (Tuesday), still pre event, we then went and did Hells Revenge. Just an awesome trail.We caught up with Gary and Woody and crew in the 45's and UTV's, and Gary spotted Jason and I up The Gate:

Jasons turn:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Jasons 81.wmv - YouTube

Then my turn:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Enigma's 81.wmv - YouTube

My in cab camera view (sorry for the narrow view, had it clocked the wrong way):
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Hells Gate bottom view.wmv - YouTube

Pictures from that day:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Hells Revenge pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

And a 3 hour tour video jammed into 5 minutes:
CM2012-Hells Revenge-Drivers POV.wmv - YouTube

Day 3 (Wednesday) was event tech inspection and signing in. I was going to go do Lockhart Basin with some friends and the Copper State crew, but I had a steering leak and some bad noises to fix.
Thanks to Greg Bowie for the factory service manual and his EPC program, and big thanks to CDan for all his wisdom and help. If anyone else ever experiences a leak from a failed washer under the adjusting screw on the steering box, a copper brake washer and some teflon tape works like a hot damn. The bad noise turned out to be a slightly loose/worn pan hard bushing on the frame mount, which CDan diagnosed and then we tightened it up. Tech was a breeze after those repairs. I think the rest of the day we spent lounging at the pool.

Day 4 (Thursday) was Golden Spike. What an epic trail, with a little bit of everything Moab has to offer on one long days trail ride.

Pics from the day:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

And some video:
Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike - Part 1.wmv - YouTube

Cruise Moab 2012 - Golden Spike - Part 2.wmv - YouTube

Day 5 (Friday) was Dome Plateau. A very mild trail, 2wd for all of it really, if I had 2wd, but some gorgeous scenery. We were able to check out some neat caves, a dead cow, and some old mining cabins.

Cruise Moab 2012 - Dome Plateau pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

Friday night was the big dinner and raffle, where I won a nice tire repair kit from Power Tank. Paul missed out on the new tires by ONE number! And Jasons dad won a hi-lift.

Day 6 (Saturday) the final official day of the event, had us signed up for Kane Creek Canyon. There was some new creases in my seat after some of the very narrow and off camber sections had been cleared.
This trail is quit a bit different than what Moab had offered us on previous trails. Virtually no slickrock, but lots of loose sand, rocks and granite, along with some good branch scraping along the creek bottom. This was more like 'wheeling back home, just a lot hotter ;)

Pics:
Pictures by fj45jeff - Photobucket

in cab montage:
Cruise Moab 2012-Kane Creek.wmv - YouTube

Thanks again for everyone's help, the wonderful people I met, and to Rising Sun for hosting this incredible event.

I will be back.

These are some great collections!

Have the dates been set yet for Cruise Moab 2013? I hear it may be the first weekend in May? I'm getting excited already :)

May 1st-5th.

Have the dates been set yet for Cruise Moab 2013? I hear it may be the first weekend in May? I'm getting excited already :)

It is April 30th to May 5th. The Kokopelli run starts on Tuesday April 30th and goes two nights. The San Rafael Swell run starts on Wednesday May 1st and goes one night. We may get Beef Basin as well, but we do not yet have that permit. For the non-overnight runs the schedule will be the same as all previous years:

Wednesday - Registration and Safety Inspection
Thursday - Guided Trail Runs, Vendor Night
Friday - Guided Trail Runs, Dinner and Raffle
Saturday - Guided Trail Runs
Sunday - Clean up and go home

I do not see an official Cruise Moab 2013 Thread here on Mud, I suppose I should start one. I am doing trail assignments this year again after a 5 year hiatus. Dave Kaiser is our committee char this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom