Cross country trip in November...which would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha. Sorry. Random 3" wood screw in the middle of nowhere UT desert.... Though the 60 above did have a run in with a cactus and had a pinhole leak that was plugged as well.

The expedition company Navtec operates a bunch of 80s in Moab. They're probably a good source for parts to have on hand. They also probably know a good local mechanic for those random catastrophes.

Take the 80. Just buy an inexpensive ground tent. RTT won't help your gas mileage, so save a few bucks by sleeping on the ground and put the $$$ in thf tank.

I did not see any change in mileage after adding a roof rack, then an RTT, then an awning. I kept the RPMs right (even when accelerating which is admittedly difficult) and I always managed to get right around 15mpg. I drove 60 90+% of the time. I saw as low as 11 doing 70 so I made the conscious decision to slow down.

I would vote for an OZ tent over an RTT, I have had both and prefer the Oz. I Keep my oz in a thule coffin. I have it, 2 chairs, a north face duffel, sleeping bags, pillow etc. and a few other goodies with some room to spare. I hope that my mattress topper fits in there with everything; if it doesnt I'll have to buy an air mattress.

life is short, do what you want to do, you said you "want" to take the 80, but "plan" on getting a 100.

29d0cc97452311ccbff4bf25f68e02c3.gif

Just jump in and go. Give it a once over, and have fun. I have 265k hard miles on mine, and have zero hesitation about jumping in and putting 2500 miles in one shot. I'll be doing it in July again when I drive out to Black Hills South Dakota to wheel.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yes, I admit I can be accused of being "safer than sorry."

I actually decided to pull the trigger and grab a new 200 and got financing straight this week. And then this happened:

I went up to one of the local Yota dealerships today because their website says they have one 2016 200 on the lot. I didn't tell the girlfriend, but if I liked what I saw, I was going to drive it off the lot.

So we pack up in the 80 and drive over. I sat there and waited for nearly an hour to be helped. It's Saturday so I know they're busy so I'm patient. At one point I get impatient enough to go and look all over the lot for this Land Cruiser. It's literally nowhere to be found. Huh. Maybe it's on a test drive?

Meanwhile, I see people getting mobbed by sales people the moment they get out of their car. I walk over and I may as well be a leper....lol.

I go back and post up in the lobby. Stand and wait. Ask one salesperson if I could "ask a quick question" and he gives me the index finger raised as if to say "one moment" without saying a word...waited 10 more minutes and screw it, I'm out.

I can't believe it's that hard give someone $80k+ :bang: Idiots.

/rant

The last time I tried to buy a 200 from a Toyota dealer. I was told that they don't get too many 200's and when they do, the owner's wife gets the new one and they sell the one that she has been driving. They offered me $0.50/mile off on the one she had been driving around. I told them no way, if I was buying a new car I wanted a brand new car. They told me tough luck, that is the only way they sell the Land Cruisers. I told myself that day I wouldn't buy another Toyota it would be Lexus only for me.

Last edited:
I agonised over this exact issue for months.... In the end, I threw a few $$$ at the 80 and completed a 12,000 k/m trip with my family through the most remote & isolated country in Australia (and therefore the world - excepting the poles?). I safely returned with an even greater love for my 80. Truly an amazing vehicle for carrying heavy loads over very, very bad terrain for extended periods.
I vote for taking the 80.

I was planning on a spring trip this year from NY to CA by way of a few cool camping/wheeling spots along the way and then probably down through Baja. But then financial and other obligations crept up and killed it, for now. But if I wasn't taking my '97 170k cruiser with RTT accommodations ( plus fridge, solar and 120v ac) it wouldn't be worth it to me. It's an opportunity to spend some time using the 'wonder wagon' I have built for just such an adventure. I wouldn't want to get rid of it for one trip and then get home and have it be gone!

Just took my 80 with 280 K from TN to AZ, UT, CO and NM. Wheeling and camping along the way pulling an expedition trailer. Power is fine is you treat it like a manual. Give it a good once over and spend the money on OEM parts when replacing. I would do it again tomorrow with my 80. Slow but fun!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yes, I admit I can be accused of being "safer than sorry."

I actually decided to pull the trigger and grab a new 200 and got financing straight this week. And then this happened:

I went up to one of the local Yota dealerships today because their website says they have one 2016 200 on the lot. I didn't tell the girlfriend, but if I liked what I saw, I was going to drive it off the lot.

So we pack up in the 80 and drive over. I sat there and waited for nearly an hour to be helped. It's Saturday so I know they're busy so I'm patient. At one point I get impatient enough to go and look all over the lot for this Land Cruiser. It's literally nowhere to be found. Huh. Maybe it's on a test drive?

Meanwhile, I see people getting mobbed by sales people the moment they get out of their car. I walk over and I may as well be a leper....lol.

I go back and post up in the lobby. Stand and wait. Ask one salesperson if I could "ask a quick question" and he gives me the index finger raised as if to say "one moment" without saying a word...waited 10 more minutes and screw it, I'm out.

/rant
Be thankful! Now you're going to take the 80 ( I hope) and when you get back you'll be like, "WTF was I thinking!?"

/rant

Take 5 of that 80K you just saved and put it towards new OEM parts and and a few aftermarket accessories to freshen things up on your 80. Use your remaining 75K for adventure...the experience will last longer and be more memorable than a new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom