Crank Seal keeps leaking after off-road trips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 am this mourning I was gonna call BS on this.
A tech not knowing he rolled the lip of the front main. I don't think so.

And now, they want to replace the Oring behind the retainer(pump). Which is just as old and ugly as the crank seal and probably leaking.

And properly done should include both pans, And you'd be silly not to do the rear main and also that Oring on the other end of the same oil pipe that goes to the front....
For 2800 I hope that includes both pans, both front and rear seals, both front and rear oil pipe O rings and re do the timing belt tensioner pully bolt if it hasn't been done for a few years. They're taking the engine out for that? IF so, that cost seems Ok I guess.. It's maybe 50 dollars of parts. not including the 1207b or whatever toyota fipg.

Expensive for sure. BUt it will not leak again.
Tough spot to be in . I wouldn't do it for a friend for less than 2k

front main.jpg

Last edited:
Got a call from the dealer and they tell me its the oil pump. $2800 to repair!
I am going through the exact same thing on my 99 LC with 245k miles. I had an oil leak so dealer replaced seals and did 90K service since it was 20k miles away. I got the car back and there was still a leak. Took the car back to dealer yesterday and this morning they tell me it's the oil pump that's leaking. They said it will be $3,700.00 to repair.

What did you end up doing?

how much do you love your LC?
Seems like you could find a shop that would do it for 1k less than that.
I have 235k miles on mine, and if I had to pay someone 2.5 for that, I would.
it's two O rings, front and rear main, FIPG, and oil pick up gasket (fiber) ATF, oil and coolant.
Even if mine was worth less than 10k I'd still get that job done regardless.

I absolutely believe I will drive this car another ten years.

1625678955523.png

how much do you love your LC?
Seems like you could find a shop that would do it for 1k less than that.
I have 235k miles on mine, and if I had to pay someone 2.5 for that, I would.
it's two O rings, front and rear main, FIPG, and oil pick up gasket (fiber) ATF, oil and coolant.
Even if mine was worth less than 10k I'd still get that job done regardless.

I absolutely believe I will drive this car another ten years.

View attachment 2724706
$2500 Would be a little bit easier to digest.....even $2900 like the OP said he was being charged. The car is at the dealer now with everything disassembled. They took it apart to check the new seals they installed. the oil leak was so bad that it destroyed the rubber bushings on the steering rack that was just installed a little over a year ago. Believe it or not, Toyota covered an new rack (parts and labor). I feel like the dealer is trying to take advantage of me since the car is in their shop apart.

know any mechanic friends that could go look at it with you?

you'd have to find out what they are wanting to replace. maybe they've added on some extra parts?

if you could, post pictures of where they're at in the disassembly part of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom