Crank Seal keeps leaking after off-road trips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is no reason off road driving specifically would cause a crank seal to leak and more than any other type of driving would cause a crank seal to leak.

Something else is afoot.
In pretty much all cases I agree, but having buried my LC to the frame in Utah mud...
I had to replace the front axle and pinion seals. Harder to get mud in your crank seal but it will do a number if it gets in there.
My two cents, after all we are on IH8MUD. 😁

Any chance you can have a look and document the crank seal surface the next time it's available? I'm curious if the surface is marred enough so that a seal doesn't fully seat and do its job appropriately. I'd venture that the surface where the seal sits is compromised by some previous efforts.

View attachment 2635764View attachment 2635765Picture for reference when I did mine about 5,600++ miles ago (red: old, blue:new) btw I applied by hand a thin layer of Aisin gasket maker around the outer diameter of the crankshaft oil seal (just for added insurance so it wouldn’t leak) when I seated it in the bore. I then used a pipe of the same diameter like the oil seal and gently tapped it towards the engine until I felt it was fully seated.
I would agree with @AlpineAccess that he may have (hopefully not) damaged or scored either the bore surface or the crankshaft end itself possibly ruining an airtight seal. Not ruling out the idea of the possibility that the component may have not been installed properly -and by that I mean it did not seat tight and flat enough (has a slight angle on it). Uncleaned dirt may and can be a contributing factor.

The part of using it off-road is something I will look on to later as that component (crankshaft oil seal) is not subjected to the elements of suspension articulation/vibration. But rather low level engine resonance and heat (from idling) and temperature management by the engine’s cooling system (oil circulation and coolant management by the coolant system eg radiator, thermostat, leaks, blockage, etc).

Was the job warranty-covered?

The job was done at the dealer so i believe it is warranted. I will find out in a little while when i call them.

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and just heard back. Apparently the spring on the seal gave out and caused the leak. Never heard of that but glad they figured it out. Should have the car back tomorrow. They told ne it is warranted so thank goodness for that. Found this on youtube.

Although almost unheard of in the 2UZ, but could your engine be suffering from some crank walk?

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and just heard back. Apparently the spring on the seal gave out and caused the leak. Never heard of that but glad they figured it out. Should have the car back tomorrow. They told ne it is warranted so thank goodness for that. Found this on youtube.

The seal spring failing is almost certainly an install issue - glad they found it quickly and it was covered. It is the "tension" spring for the seal so without it, it takes very little oil pressure to get blow-by.

Last edited:
Although almost unheard of in the 2UZ, but could your engine be suffering from some crank walk?
Man i hope not!!

The seal spring failing is almost certainly an install issue - glad they found it quickly and it was covered. It is the "tension" spring for the seal so without it, it takes very little oil pressure to get blow-by.
Hopefully this is the issue and it wont happen again.

Got a call from the dealer and they tell me its the oil pump. $2800 to repair!

Got a call from the dealer and they tell me its the oil pump. $2800 to repair!

Any further explanation from the dealer about how the seals are being destroyed?

Dealer says they are replacing all the seals not the oil pump. But apparently there are two oil pans and the pump sits between them which is why its labor intensive and the cost is high.

None unfortunately, I didn't bother to ask. I'm not mechanically savvy.

I see postings about blown crank seals on a Lexus forum. Too much crankcase pressure.

I've seen this on other Japanese engines from blocked crankcase ventilation vacuum allowing pressure to build up and blow main seals. Just looking for a way to solve more economically.

1617702182360.png

I have never heard of an oil pump failure on the 2UZ.

Too much crank case pressure? PCV is clogged.

Yep.. I would try that first. Inexpensive part.

Now the dealer has it all torn down and maybe looking for a way to recover costs..

Dealer says they are replacing all the seals not the oil pump. But apparently there are two oil pans and the pump sits between them which is why its labor intensive and the cost is high.
No, the pump is on the bottom front of the engine. It is what your front crank (main) seal sits in. It is somewhat of a $hitty job to do because the oil pans have to be removed, which often requires pulling the engine out...

I'm just waiting for the "$3k for us to do the oil pump, or we can put you in a new 4runner at a huge discount and take this on trade just to get you out of a bigger problem" comment by the dealership.

Then this thing hits the used lot at a premium a week later with a new PCV.

still wondering how the spring came off when it was installed and driving on the road didn't cause a leak but driving in dirt causes a leak?

still wondering how the spring came off when it was installed and driving on the road didn't cause a leak but driving in dirt causes a leak?
After the dealer investigated further they found the leak to come from the oil pump.

After the dealer investigated further they found the leak to come from the oil pump.

can they show you where? take a pic
the oil pan is internal and not sure where it is leaking from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom