cracks in both side exhaust manifolds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a LC and one I am very interested in has both side exhaust manifolds crackde, other than that its clean from a toyota dealership inspection. Is this a big red flag? perhaps I can just bargain down to cover the repairs, I really like the car a lot and if it would have a lot of life left after this I would be happy with it.

Probably around a 2k job for parts and labor on new manifolds or headers.

Not a red flag and doesn't indicate any other or deeper issues. Also, should not be a cause of any other issues either, even if they have been leaking for a while. The exhaust manifold leaks are quite common. Factory Toyota parts alone are $500-700. They are somewhat time consuming to replace, but if you are mechanically inclined, they can be done in a home garage, many do, including myself. Took me 6-8 hours to do both sides. $2k is probably a fair estimate for parts and labor. Get a quote from a dealer/mechanic and use it as a bargaining chip. Many people just live with the tick-tick-tick of the leaks.

I got the driver side cracked manifold. It used to leak quite a bit and upon running the engine for about 30 to 40 seconds the sound goes away. Recently changed the catalytic converter on passenger side and the exhaust leak is now less and goes away in about 10 seconds.

May be you have a clogged exhaust catalytoc converter as well.

Oem manifold is $225 at Camelback toyota. Add 50 for new studs, bolts and gasket per side.

Both of my exhaust manifolds are ticking as well. They do not silence one bit after the engine warms up. Other than the occasional weird look you may get and the annoying sound bouncing off everything, I haven't noticed any exhaust fumes getting into the cabin etc. Just last week I asked for a quote from my mechanic (am looking at getting the DT headers with OE gaskets, bolts etc.) and he wanted roughly $1450 just for labor and that was assuming their was no custom fabrication needed.

When I bought my LX470 in 2011, the driver side (right side in Oz) was ticking.
7 years later it still is. :)

What year cruiser are you looking at? years ago, when I bought a used 2000 from a Toyota dealer, it needed both manifolds replaced within the first 3 months. It only had 60k miles on it. fortunately, the dealer covered the repair cost as it came with a 6 month powertrain warranty. Any changes to manifold part numbers over time? I wonder if earlier trucks are more prone to cracking manifolds

I have two OEM headers with no cracks if you need them.

Both of my exhaust manifolds are ticking as well. They do not silence one bit after the engine warms up. Other than the occasional weird look you may get and the annoying sound bouncing off everything, I haven't noticed any exhaust fumes getting into the cabin etc. Just last week I asked for a quote from my mechanic (am looking at getting the DT headers with OE gaskets, bolts etc.) and he wanted roughly $1450 just for labor and that was assuming their was no custom fabrication needed.

My 100 is similar in that the ticking noise never goes away, even when fully warm.

Do you guys think exhaust getting into the cabin is a legitimate concern? Always wondered about this.

My 100 is similar in that the ticking noise never goes away, even when fully warm.

Do you guys think exhaust getting into the cabin is a legitimate concern? Always wondered about this.
My understanding is that once it gets to this point (exhaust in cabin) is when you should really replace them, otherwise no worries. Dealer by me said they have a customer with a Tundra, same issue, with over 300k on it...no biggie was what he was basically saying IMO.

Last edited:
Ignore it unless it becomes more prevalent/constant and never goes away. Ticking only happens on my 100 when it's below freezing on an 18-year-old LX 470. It sounds like a cross between lifter tick and bottom-end. It stops after about 10-20 seconds. I've read that it's small cracks in the exhaust that almost immediately seal.

Do aftermarket headers hold up better?
In 100k miles you’ll be right back where you are now

Why do they claim more HP?
Less restriction on exhaust flow results in very small gains in HP. The gains are basically negligible.

Are they noisier?
They can be depending on the company you get them from and their design. Most of the time it’s just a slightly deeper grumble in the tone

Worth MPG?
Absolutely not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom