Crack in dashboard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
I just noticed I have a small crack in my dashboard. That is something that has always bothered me and now my truck has one. Is there anything that can be done this early to help slow it from getting bigger? Can an upholstery shop maybe fill it with something with a color match sealant or something? I guess I will eventually be replacing the dash but have seen images of guys doing that on the forum and I’m not sure if I want to get into that anytime soon. I bet the long freeze we had a few months ago made the dash harden and become brittle. Then the sun just made it crack like yesterday.

C73B9701-F715-4DEE-8604-AF70CDFAA09A.jpeg

74EAAC1A-6F84-45D4-B123-24ADFF4917E1.jpeg

I just noticed I have a small crack in my dashboard. That is something that has always bothered me and now my truck has one. Is there anything that can be done this early to help slow it from getting bigger? Can an upholstery shop maybe fill it with something with a color match sealant or something? I guess I will eventually be replacing the dash but have seen images of guys doing that on the forum and I’m not sure if I want to get into that anytime soon. I bet the long freeze we had a few months ago made the dash harden and become brittle. Then the sun just made it crack like yesterday.

View attachment 2660939

View attachment 2660940
I know there are dash repair kits but I don’t have experience using them. In the mean time, you could consider protecting it using these custom tailored dash mats from Escape Gear. They take about a month to make and ship to your door from South Africa. Quality and fitment is superb. The pic doesn’t do it justice as I hadn’t yet affixed it properly.
86D06FB2-942E-4131-B83A-1514F28CD6E7.jpeg

View attachment 2660939

View attachment 2660940
Just got my first one too and I'm devastated. To each his own, but dash mats are horrible.

I once aimed my infrared thermometer at my dash/crash pad, middle of a sunny day with outside temps of 85-90'F but had forgotten to put up the reflective sun shade in the windshield; the pad's temp was 156'F. Between the direct heat and UV(B) rays the vinyl is destined to deteriorate and crack at some point depending on where you live and/or how the vehicle is stored (in/out of the elements) IMHO.

Last edited:
So I am about to have to get a new windshield so I have a friend who is in the window tinting business, and he says there is a clear film UV protectant that goes on the inside of your windshield which blocks most of the UV and he so I might try that. He has it on his truck and his wife’s car and they don’t have any issues with spider webbing or or anything at night So I might have him install that on a new windshield before I put it in the truck.

So I am about to have to get a new windshield so I have a friend who is in the window tinting business, and he says there is a clear film UV protectant that goes on the inside of your windshield which blocks most of the UV and he so I might try that. He has it on his truck and his wife’s car and they don’t have any issues with spider webbing or or anything at night So I might have him install that on a new windshield before I put it in the truck.
A cousin of mine just had the windshield tint done on his '21 Chevy Trail Boss. Looks great and works great to reduce interior temps. The installer cuts to fit from the outside of the windshield before attaching to inside. I would check your local tint laws first though.

A few years ago my dash cracked over the winter from the cold. I always assumed it was the summer temps that made it crack.

Same thing happened to me. The heat and UV rays accelerate the deterioration
of the vinyl which makes it less elastic. Then (one possible explanation) is a cold snap comes along, parts shrink, and the vinyl splits due to those stresses.

FWIW there are vinyl protectant products with UV blockers, not sure how well they work. Found one meant for the vinyl on boats and gave it try, too late however to help the one crack that's already there.

I've seen on youtubby how some people repair the crack but it's an involved process, remove the dash/crash pad, fill in the crack, sand the whole thing, repaint, ---.

Last edited:
I don't recall if it was this site or the FB 80's site, someone mentioned they used this company Fibrenew
They fixed the crack in the dash recolored it and you couldn't even see the old crack in the dash.

Many options to this problem. If your vehicle is a 95 or older the dash pad is still available from Mr T. I just bought one for my 96 which had more cracks than a room full of plumbers. Maybe a bit spendy but feel of it is worth every dime.
On the 93 & 94 i believe the dash pad can be removed and recovered fairly easily.

I recovered mine myself. It had very mild cracks. It's marine vinyl so should stand up to the sun.
1619834830702.png

1619834751703.png

It's been installed a year now and still looks the same. Watched some youtube on it, bought the materials, and took my time. I think it only cost like 150.00 in materials.

Many options to this problem. If your vehicle is a 95 or older the dash pad is still available from Mr T. I just bought one for my 96 which had more cracks than a room full of plumbers. Maybe a bit spendy but feel of it is worth every dime.
On the 93 & 94 i believe the dash pad can be removed and recovered fairly easily.
Part number? So you put a 95 dash in your 96?

55401-60150-E0

Mine is tan so not sure what a grey P/N is. I have still to fit mine so if you need some photos of what it looks like (helps with the install) then let me know.

I recovered mine myself. It had very mild cracks. It's marine vinyl so should stand up to the sun.
View attachment 2661629
View attachment 2661628
It's been installed a year now and still looks the same. Watched some youtube on it, bought the materials, and took my time. I think it only cost like 150.00 in materials.
Just... wow. Now I have to add another freaking DIY project to the list.

Just... wow. Now I have to add another freaking DIY project to the list.
I basically followed this video. I used a heat gun to warm up the dash and new vinyl because the material stretches and sticks better when warm. I roughed up the old dash vinyl with 80 grit and cleaned it very well. I did small sections at a time like in the video. I got the vinyl off of Amazon. Getting high quality glue and brushing it on the vinyl and dash seemed to work well. If you have a little more than hairline cracks then some 1/8 foam will need to be glued down first. I'm not sure what I would do if it has large cracks. It really gives the interior a nice look when you don't have a cracked dash.

I used tan latex caulk for $7 & 20min total in the old LX450.

It sounds chachi AF, but that crack dead center over the cluster is damn near inevitable for all sunbelters.

A lite coating of dust over that oak dask, I never saw it anymore.

Ghetto.......check.

70% -style solution.......check.

edit ::: In my world the word ‘dask’ is the ‘dash’ ::: /edit

I’m dyslexic for those who never knew - so sometimes I fawk words that are subject I can recite/know the details of.

—On late model dashboards that center split over the cluster is the 1st, then the one on a dash vent / defrost inboard of the PS SRS bag L edge.

Those 2 cracks are the ‘95-‘97 hallmarks of UV doing its’ work.

Just like brain freeze from too fast shave ice / sno-cone intake.......or getting old man “hanging stuff” (PG mode) :hillbilly:

————————

Re-Tech : do the early/ Enterprise dashes crack in a known/common spot?

—I’ve only been Mr. OBD2 / late FZJ’s.......so IDK the Enterprise dash probs.

Last edited:
I basically followed this video. I used a heat gun to warm up the dash and new vinyl because the material stretches and sticks better when warm. I roughed up the old dash vinyl with 80 grit and cleaned it very well. I did small sections at a time like in the video. I got the vinyl off of Amazon. Getting high quality glue and brushing it on the vinyl and dash seemed to work well. If you have a little more than hairline cracks then some 1/8 foam will need to be glued down first. I'm not sure what I would do if it has large cracks. It really gives the interior a nice look when you don't have a cracked dash.

Whats the link for the vinyl? At least in grey the ones I'm finding are small patches and I would want it for full 1997 dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom