Couple observations about high mileage 100's ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little over 2 years ago I purchased my 2002 LX470 with only 25K miles.
She was a beauty and drove great - still is.

Now on to some comparative observations on high mileage 100s ...

- my son loves my LX so much that I purchased him a 2004 Land Cruiser with 187K miles. Wow is that a nice driving vehicle - actually I think it drives better than my LX which now has only 42K miles.

- yesterday I helped an elderly couple outside the grocery store jump start their car. Driving my LX470. Store Manager came out admiring my LX and he said he had a 1998 LX470 with 375K miles. Said he purchased it new and never did anything to it - not even changing the Timing Belt. Claims its the most reliable best driving vehicle he has ever owned and asked if I would sell him my LX470.

I'm thinking if I knew what I know now that I would not pay a premium for low mileage but instead look for a well maintained rust free example with around 200K miles or thereabouts. Certainly the interior of my 2002 LX is nicer than the higher mileage 2004 LX but it could be made pristine too. Prior to owning a 100 I was kinda skiddish about a vehicle with 200K miles but not now.

Just my observations and thoughts.

A little over 2 years ago I purchased my 2002 LX470 with only 25K miles.
She was a beauty and drove great - still is.

Now on to some comparative observations on high mileage 100s ...

- my son loves my LX so much that I purchased him a 2004 Land Cruiser with 187K miles. Wow is that a nice driving vehicle - actually I think it drives better than my LX which now has only 42K miles.

- yesterday I helped an elderly couple outside the grocery store jump start their car. Driving my LX470. Store Manager came out admiring my LX and he said he had a 1998 LX470 with 375K miles. Said he purchased it new and never did anything to it - not even changing the Timing Belt. Claims its the most reliable best driving vehicle he has ever owned and asked if I would sell him my LX470.

I'm thinking if I knew what I know now that I would not pay a premium for low mileage but instead look for a well maintained rust free example with around 200K miles or thereabouts. Certainly the interior of my 2002 LX is nicer than the higher mileage 2004 LX but it could be made pristine too. Prior to owning a 100 I was kinda skiddish about a vehicle with 200K miles but not now.

Just my observations and thoughts.

Yeah the common advice you see here is the least amount of rust with the best service history. You will often hear people say "buy the newest you can afford" which is not necessarily as important to me. I actually preferred the 98-02. I got the same vehicle for half the price. Sure the updated stack and 18" wheels are cool, but right now a lot of 98-02 LC's and LX's are going for $5,000-8,000. Maybe factor in a couple thousand for some needed repairs, and you are good to go. Mine has around 240k, I paid $6,500 for it and felt i got a good deal. This was a $60,000 vehicle new and its pretty amazing just how much luxury and technology you get for 10% of the sticker price.

The fact that I'm less than $10,000 deep on a vehicle that will take me over some of the most iconic passes in Colorado next month is incredible. Look at these guys spending $50k to kit out a rattle-trap, toothpick-axle Jeep. Its a terrible DD, and unreliable. We have reliability, capability, and luxury all wrapped up in a $6,500 vehicle. That's not to say my cruiser is perfect. it had some neglect and spots that really need attention (still). Don't get me wrong, if I could comfortably afford a 200 I'd have to consider. But the 100 is a great little rig.

Just got back checking and test driving a 2006 2 owners LX470 with 172k miles for a friend, the thing drives like new, engine idle quite, under carriage is clean and spotless with no leak except usual dirt, everything is tight with no play or funny sound, interior is quite with not even a tiny squeak!! My friend bought it on the spot. This thing is built like a tank and age very well, I would have bought it if I am in the market and not owning 3 cruisers already.

I'll say it again and again....Low mileage LC/LXs are overrated.

Agree^ around 200k is fine. 300k+maybe a different deal, but 75% of 100's you'll see out there today are 160k to 240k miles. I wouldn't discriminate between the two much. Not worth the extra coin to get a 100-120k mile vehicle.

I’m glad you posted this, a little over a year ago I bought a rust free well maintained 2001 LC with 210k and was really worried about the mileage, I’ve owned several 40’s and have had a 60 for over 10 years so I know Toyota reliability. But I had sold my low mileage dodge 2500 diesel to get out of payments and using a over 200k as a daily driver/adventure rig had me a little worried. That has proven to a be very unfounded worry. I just got back from a 3k mile trip to Az and Ut where I ran a lot of miles of horrible washboard roads that would have beat a lot of vehicles to death, when I finally hit pavement I just knew I would have rattles and such but it ran and rode as quiet and tight as when I bought it. This 100 hasn’t burned a drop of oil and acts like it’s got under 100k on it. I’m amazed and looking forward to a long future with it.

I was an Isuzu Trooper fan boy - still have two, one with 250K miles and one with 165K miles.
250K and they are pretty much done even when well taken care of while a 100 is still in its prime.
I thought the build quality on my Troopers was top notch - that is until I got my first LX, big difference
with interior, similar body construction, much better quality Engine and Transmission.
Isuzu's are great vehicles but they have quirks that the 100's don't have.
Namely our 100's typically do not burn Engine OIL and the Transmission is pretty much bullet proof.
I do like the 2003 and older because those have a Transmission dipstick. If you ever had
a vehicle where you had to periodically check the Transmission fluid by crawling under and loosening
a bolt you would know what I am talking about.
Three big advantages with Troopers are #1 they are about 1/3 cost of a 100, #2 more fun to play in the snow because there are absolutely no "nanny controls" to keep you out of trouble, and #3 parts are easy to find as there are usually plenty of worn out Isuzu's in junk yards (along with Land Rovers and other SUVs but nary a 100. I know some junk yards surely must be taking in 100's but I've never seen one. Maybe they command to high a price than other wrecked SUVs.)

I’m glad your all enjoying your rides. I have 224 on mine and feel I have been putting a lot of repairs into it. The newest is the AC leak, a few weeks ago it was rear caliper replace and still need to do the front.

I’m still maintaining hope...but it’s faiding....

There are some great statements in here. I've really learned a lot from this place; definitely gave me the confidence to sell a 2011 model vehicle with 75k miles to buy one that is 18 years old (2000 LC) with 195k miles on it, put some repairs/PM into it, and hit the road. It's clear that it is a very expensive vehicle. I mean it you take the 2000 sticker price and adjust it not only for inflation but for current-day purchasing power, that's a lot of money!

I’m glad your all enjoying your rides. I have 224 on mine and feel I have been putting a lot of repairs into it. The newest is the AC leak, a few weeks ago it was rear caliper replace and still need to do the front.

I’m still maintaining hope...but it’s faiding....

If the previous owner did not take care of the truck then things like that are wear and tear items which is bound to happened for an old truck especially if you have more than 220k. I read through your build thread, it seems to be going great, the issues you are having seems to be wear and tear related. But one thing for sure PO did not stay on top of it maintenance wise, oil leak should be fixed long ago.

Look at my 99 and you will be glad to have yours in current condition LOL!!

Barn find, trash of treasure?!

Last edited:
Reactions: jLB
I'll say it again and again....Low mileage LC/LXs are overrated.

Agreed. I think the more important factor is how it was driven, i.e. freeway, stop and go, off-road etc AND the climate. Harsh climates can take a toll on exterior components such as trim and paint as well as engine components. I have an 06 LC with 195k that feels brand new and a 97 LC with 180K that feels brand new minus the front leather seats and steering wheel. These things are truly over engineered and assembled by some of Toyotas finest.

Same here for sure!
I was reluctant to even look at higher mileage trucks at first but spending some time reading made me lose some fear and broaden my search a lot.
So when my friend called this Week with a nice '06 with 175K I knew that I at least wanted to check it out.

Drives like new really and I got records of pretty complete maintenance and a clean under carraige,what else could I really want for the price?

This is my 3rd Cruiser and by far the nicest one but they each have had a similar quality of construction that I have not seem in many other vehicles at any price.

I am excited to be here too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom