Observations on ignition coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No questions, but I wanted to share some observations after having replaced the original ignition coils on my 2006 LC (which had no faults) at 180k miles.

Some quick background - I changed the original plugs about 3 years ago at 160k miles. The original plugs looked surprisingly good, but piece of mind and an attempt to get better than abysmal gas mileage. In the process of doing the plugs I noticed a few of the coils had hairline cracks in the plastic developing mainly along the plastic seems in the cylindrical part. Since it's my daily driver and I had no coils on hand (and more importantly no faults), I decided to punt on replacing them but went ahead and ordered new Denso coils.

The new coils sat for about three years until a couple of weeks ago when it was time to do the timing belt again. I decided to also have cam seals done since I didn't do them 11 years ago when I did the T-belt at 90k miles. I also had a pretty bad oil leak which I think was a result of a couple broken valve cover bolts. Since the coils had to come out anyway, I asked the shop to replace the old coils with the ones from my shelf even though I still had no fault codes. I couldn't remember how many were cracked 3 years/20k miles ago (definitely more than 1, but that's about all I can remember), but 4 were now cracked.

After a 2000 mile road trip, I can definitely say that idle is smoother (not that it was rough before, but there was some very, very slight undulation previously) and I think mileage is slightly better (though still not great, it's at least been consistent throughout my ownership). Maybe it's my imagination (or maybe I'm making myself feel better about $400 in coils when I had no faults), but it seems that the viability of the coils aren't binary - i.e., it's not a matter of they either work or don't work.

I just wanted to throw these observations out as I seem to recall there wasn't much consensus on this point when I looked a few years back prior to buying the new coils. If in doubt, give your LC a $400 treat for good service!

Thanks for taking time to update your experience. I actually went with a few used OEM coils (no cracks) off of a Sequoia: $3 a piece! Driving for a while now and no issues. I am getting about 15.7 - 17 MPG on highway at 75 MPH. Yes I did a road trip totalling little above 1500 miles and no loss of oil or coolant for 254K mile driven vehicle. Good thing about low gas mileage is we have to stop every 2 to 2.5 hours to refuel and this allows me to stretch my legs!

Thanks for taking time to update your experience. I actually went with a few used OEM coils (no cracks) off of a Sequoia: $3 a piece! Driving for a while now and no issues. I am getting about 15.7 - 17 MPG on highway at 75 MPH. Yes I did a road trip totalling little above 1500 miles and no loss of oil or coolant for 254K mile driven vehicle. Good thing about low gas mileage is we have to stop every 2 to 2.5 hours to refuel and this allows me to stretch my legs!
My sentiments exactly! Aging legs need to be stretched often...

at 75mph (or should i say $/hr), that is impressive. I'll have to try that measurement on my next long road trim (rare).

Much better than I'm getting, and that's with the extra gear and VVTI in my 2006. I think at around 70-80 I was averaging around 14.5, corrected for bigger tires. At least it's been consistently bad throughout the 110k miles I've had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom