Cooperd0g’s 2006 Sport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update to the massive lean:

My local mechanic put the GX on a lift. He was not able to compress the driver front strut. He took it out and disassembled it. Once it was disassembled the shock would extend and compress. He thought that likely meant it was binding when in though. He also checked the passenger side and the spring had lost most of its tension. So it was a weird dual failure.

Due to my pending move, I didn't have time to really decide on a lift, get the parts shipped here and get everything installed before I have to hit the road. I bought some cheap struts from O'Reilly's to install and just get me cross country and until I have time to do the full suspension refresh.

He did tell me that my alignment gussets are smashed up some and should be replaced. He recommended the ones from Total Chaos. They will require a fabricator to weld them in place though. So I will do that before I install the lift.

Coincidentally, Kai at Tinker's Adventures, just posted this video on the Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro and it may end up being my choice. I was originally looking at a Bilstein 6112/5160 system, but there are a few issues. They only come in kits with stock weight springs or heavy weight springs. They sell medium weight springs separately, but there is no way I have found to buy the kit with the medium springs. That means you are buying two sets of springs. Another issue was that I don't have a spring compressor and I'm not using a home style one. But if you want to change the height after install, you have to uninstall, disassemble, reset the cir-clip, reassemble and reinstall. I looked at Dobinsons IMS, but I just can't handle the color scheme. I started looking at Icon even though I don't really need high performance shocks. But after watching Kai's latest video I like the advantages that the Foam Cell Pro have. My only issue is the green colored springs, but I can handle those better than the baby blue of the Dobinsons.
Ping Mike over at Exit Offroad about the Dobinson IMS kit. He recently got me set up with a customized MRA kit. They offer black and red springs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom