Cooperd0g’s 2006 Sport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has been a busy couple of months with work travel, move, buying my GX sight unseen (with tons of pics, full Lexus service records and a PPI at a dealer). I finally picked it up 3 weeks ago.

This was pulling it out of the storage unit in Dallas where the previous owner had stored it for me while waiting for me to be able to get it. Virtually stock, but with relatively new 265/70 Pro Comp E rated all terrain tires.

Then I proceeded to start some daily usability upgrades. Heck, I brought the Tsumara cup holder on the flight out to have on the drive back. That was my first mod! Though this isn’t really my daily; it will primarily be the family adventure mobile.

Last edited:
I picked mine up this past weekend after also buying it sight unseen.

Currently going thru the mods for under $100 thread.

Nice sport model

After a bit of a drive home to Arizona from Texas I was ready to get started. It has to live outside as I have two other cars, two motorcycles and a camping trailer that live in the garage. So a priority was a nice custom sunshade from Covercraft (I have them for my wife’s Subaru and my BMW as well).

Also a high priority for an adventure mobile, in my opinion, are some good all weather floor mats. I went with WeatherTech custom fit and got the grey to match.

I added some Blue Ridge Overland Gear items as well. I’m a huge fan of their stuff. And I mix and match some of their products with those from Maxpedition and Vanquest. Here is a seat back panel that has two of their water bottle holders. One is for my wife’s extra water bottle and one is for some cleaning wipes. I also have Vanquest sticky panel that holds a flashlight and will also hold some extra USB cables. My Element E50 fire extinguisher is held on by Vanquest molle ELASTO Gear locks. Up on the headrest is a BROG Velcro panel and a Vanquest hook and loop elastic web adapter that holds my first aid/trauma kit.

I have added a BROG dump pouch recently to be the inside trash, but apparently didn’t take a pic.

The BROG Land Cruiser attic fits perfect as well.

Eventually I want a full drawer/organization system. But in the meantime I needed to set up my fridge. The ARB 50 is plugged into my Flexopower and the Flexopower is plugged into the 110v outlet in the cargo area. Also plugged in is my jumper pack. I’m going to run a long USB cord up over the back seat to the car seat so we can keep the iPad topped off even if my son is using it.

Last edited:
Man you got right to work huh? I would appreciate an evaluation of you power setup when you run it thru it's paces.

Yeah I wanted to get to a certain level for light off road duty, but as comfy as possible camping. That drives my choices as I have a toddler, a pregnant wife and a young dog. The more comfortable I make it for my wife, the more we are likely to go out. She loves the awning, our fridge and our tent trailer so I think I made the right plan. Though we still have a few things to tweak.

The Flexopower did a good job so far with a test day and a weekend camp. On the test day I fired up the fridge and drove 6 minutes to work. It was cooled to 30 degrees by lunchtime and showed 4/5 on the battery lights. Then I drove 6 minutes home. By 7pm it was down to 2/5 on the battery. This isn’t quite the 1.5 days that I had read about, but then again it has been over 110 degrees F here in Yuma and my GX lives outside. So I kind of blame the excessive heat for that.

On the actual weekend trip I cooled the fridge down while at work. It was at 4/5 when I got home in the afternoon to pack up and head out of town. Drove 3 hours to the RV park and it was 5/5. Only drove about 45 min total on Saturday and it never got below 3/5. The weird thing was when I drove back home on Sunday we arrived with 2/5. I think maybe the plug came lose or something because I would have assumed it would top off on the 3 hour drive again. I’m also stringing a 6 foot USB cable from it to the car seat area so we can keep the iPad charged while my son is using it.

I got it after reading a review on Expedition Portal. Similar to the Goal Zero Lithium, but was a bit cheaper and slightly smaller. I just ordered a Lensun 100 watt folding solar panel to help keep it topped off when parked.

I ordered the GXPAM and USA SPEC BT45-TOY before I had even picked up my GX. Finally got around to installing them.

I am very happy with the final set up. I get bluetooth to my phone, my sat radio, and plenty of USB power outlets (2 in the GXPAM, 2 in the cigarette lighter)

Great start! I was also eyeing that Flexopower after reading the reviews. So I have it straight it only could run the fridge for about 12hrs from what you gather?

Great start! I was also eyeing that Flexopower after reading the reviews. So I have it straight it only could run the fridge for about 12hrs from what you gather?

In the Arizona heat of 110+ it was down to 2/5 battery after about 12 hours on my test day. Plus it had to cool it down from 90 degrees, not just keep it cool. In a San Diego with temps in the high 70s it was down to 3/5 after about 18-20 hours and the fridge already being cooled. I think that jives with the review from Expedition Portal claiming two days. I doubt they did an extreme heat test like I (unintentionally) did.

Put my Yakima Skybox up on the Rhino Rack. Man, that was a bigger pain than expected. I’m pushing it forward some to reserve space at the back for short haul fire wood and maybe my propane tank. Shovel mount set as well. I won’t keep the shovel in it regularly though. The Skybox will house my recovery gear.

Once I had the Skybox up there I tried to see if I could mount the Crux Offroad bridging ladders to the platform. I tried a few places.

I just didn’t think I could really secure them up on the side. They fit great behind the Skybox, but would be a big air damn and preclude my other plans for that area. I was concerned about keeping them inside the Skybox and breaking it from the inside as they are heavy. But then I noticed tie down points in the Skybox.

They seem to be pretty secure.

After our last camping trip we decided we needed better light under the awning at night. I picked up a couple of Luminoodles and they worked like a champ. I brought out the solar panel as well. Kept the Flexopower fully charged.

I added some Blue Ridge Overland Gear items as well. I’m a huge fan of their stuff. And I mix and match some of their products with those from Maxpedition and Vanquest. Here is a seat back panel that has two of their water bottle holders. One is for my wife’s extra water bottle and one is for some cleaning wipes. I also have Vanquest sticky panel that holds a flashlight and will also hold some extra USB cables. My Element E50 fire extinguisher is held on by Vanquest molle ELASTO Gear locks. Up on the headrest is a BROG Velcro panel and a Vanquest hook and loop elastic web adapter that holds my first aid/trauma kit.

I have added a BROG dump pouch recently to be the inside trash, but apparently didn’t take a pic.

The BROG Land Cruiser attic fits perfect as well.

I like that. Where did you get that from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom