Cooperd0g’s 2006 Sport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So with your current power setup... Full charge on Car battery + Full charge on AUX battery + Precooled fridge..whats your max days you can safely push the fridge before not being able to start the car?

Lets say day time temp was 85 and night time temp being in the 50s.

So with your current power setup... Full charge on Car battery + Full charge on AUX battery + Precooled fridge..whats your max days you can safely push the fridge before not being able to start the car?

Lets say day time temp was 85 and night time temp being in the 50s.

I can’t really answer that because I’m charging the Flexopower from the factory 110v outlet, which does not run with the GX off. With the GX off, it is all based on the Flexopower then. The car battery does not directly power any accessories. I would suspect about 1.5 days from the Flexopower though based on my experience. With my solar panel now there is no limit.

I have realized that I like to carry a few things in the cargo door pocket: Scepter fuel can cap wrench, dog leashes/collars, gloves, my Luminoodle strip lights ... But the saggy net was just terrible. Stuff was hanging low enough I closed the door on my gloves as they hung from the net.

I ordered the Rago modular metal cargo net replacement. Unfortunately I snapped one of the door handle clips while removing the door panel. I am running naked back there until the paracord handle arrives tomorrow. This weekend I will get it all back together.

Okay, life has been super busy and updating this ended up being super low priority. Major exercise at work followed by national exams rolled into the holidays. Then family visiting, baby being born, right into another major exercise and a full on pandemic with civil unrest. I did NOT completely rest on the GX and some family adventures, just on the forum.

The last update here was breaking the handle parts when installing the Rago cargo door "net." I ended up following some instructions from here on MUD to add a paracord wrapped soft handle as a replacement. I think it worked out well.

In January with some family visiting we did some moderate trails in the local wildlife preserve to a hike. Having the awning and fridge made it nice to be able to chill and eat lunch at the hike trailhead before loading up and heading back home. We also got this folding fabric table from my mother in law and it works quite well actually.

When I bought the GX it had E rated Pro Comp tires, size 265/70R17, but the spare was still the stock 265/65R17. Having KDSS meant that a full size spare was going to be super tight, if it fit at all. I know there is conflicting info on here and on GXOR, but I just decided to go with a Wilco Hitchgate. This alleviated the size issue and if it would fit in the stock spare location. It also allowed me to move the bridging ladders out of the Skybox as well as add a BROG tire storage bag.

For the spare tire I chose a Falken Wildpeak AT3 C rated for a couple of reasons. One was it was on sale. Two was it is a spare only so it won't be in full rotation. Three is in the next post!

At some point I got a factory hitch to get the full tongue weight capacity and I put a new combo 7 and 4 pin connecter. I just wired the post lights for the plate relocation to the trailer wiring and it works great. Much easier than trying to tap into the actual light assemblies.

Last edited:
The trail we did in the Koa Wildlife Refuge was well within the capabilities of the GX as configured, but pushing to the edges of what I want to take the family on for camping. It was also significantly more than I felt our Sylvansport Go trailer could handle in terms of clearance and connection. So when I bought the new spare tire for the GX I also picked up a second set of OEM wheels off the GXOR Facebook group and I did conversion on the trailer.

I found some spacer/adapters that changed the lug pattern of the stock trailer wheels to fit the GX wheels and it worked like a champ! I threw a spare up on top of the Go as well. When connected I am rolling with two full size spares. And if push came to shove I could pull from the trailer and leave it behind to get the family out and go back later. This is an unlikely scenario given I have a tire repair kit, a compressor, and two full size spares, but if I did blow more than two sidewalls I would be in trouble. Traveling with my wife and two young kids, I want the extra redundancy.

Lock N Roll was fairly straight forward. It comes with lateral mounting holes, but my Go has vertical holes. So I took it to a friend's house, who has a drill press, and we drilled some new mounting holes. I will say, this is quite the theft deterrent too. You can't just roll up to a Lock N Roll, hook it up to your standard ball mount and drive away. Not a cheap upgrade, but combined with the bigger wheels/tires I think I can take the Go trailer pretty much anywhere the GX will go now.

I did also get longer stabilizing jacks. I wasn't sure I needed a taller tongue jack, but after going out a couple of times I decided I wanted a taller and better one. Any slope and we were easily exceeding the factory tongue jack. At full extension it was binding and not wanting to roll. I bought a new one and am hoping to install it over the holiday weekend.

Test tow and camp back out in the Kofa Wildlife Refuge with the full set up as it stands right now. Saw maybe one other person drive by the weekend we were there.

Next up are a couple of projects:
1. The tongue jack on the Go, as previously mentioned.

2. Better rear cargo organization. I really want a Trekboxx System Alpha, but he doesn't have one for the GX. He has offered to make one for me and waive the custom fee, but I expect it isn't a high priority for him and it may take a while. In the interim a friend is going to make me a very simple, but functional system as profiled by All Terrain Family on YouTube. This, plus an Alu-Cab tilting fridge slide, will get me a 75% solution for what I want my ideal set up to be.

Future projects of an undetermined time:
1. Trekboxx ...
2. SSO Incognito hidden winch mount install (I have it in my garage, but no winch yet)
3. Engine bay added fuse panel for winch + other items
4. Long Range aux tank
5. White Knuckle sliders

For cargo organization I ended up going with the Mountain Passes Offroad platform, an Alu-Cab tilting fridge slide and some Frontrunner Cub Packs. The platform has a really cool folding feature that makes it easy to take in and out. Of course I pretty much negated this by adding the fridge slide which crosses the fold. With that said I can pretty easily remove the fridge slide if I want to reconfigure. It isn't as nice as a full Trekboxx system, but it isn't available for the GX. And while I like the DIY from All Terrain Family I just didn't have the time to build it. The raised fridge would suck except for the tilting slide makes it easily accessible. I also mounted some tie downs to hold a water can and anchor my dog.

By raising the deck I had a full storage area underneath. The dimensions weren't good for the Frontrunner Wolf Packs, but were quite good for the Cub Packs. For a trip I keep my Tailgater Tire Table, a Frontrunner chair, my Lensun solar panel and 4 Cub Packs under the platform.

Another mod I went with was the side gate table. One of my Cub Packs is kept stocked with a small backpacking stove and cook kit. This can be used at any time while traveling and doesn't require the full camp to be set up. I also picked up a couple of the side attachments for the Rhino Batwing to increase shade opportunity when you either can't position the truck optimally or are parked long enough that the sun moves a lot.

One thing I noticed is that my dog, now with a higher perch on the platform, kept her head over the seat and was drooling all over. If she wasn't anchored she would have just jumped in to the second row. Had my daughter been in her carseat on this trip, she would have been slobbered all over. I decided to get a Raingler cargo net. I really like that they are built to order. The larger webbing had gaps big enough for my dog to stuff her snout through so I go the added mesh so she can't poke her nose through. You can anchor the top to the 3rd row grab handles, but then it angled back too far so I mounted the included hardware.

So close to being caught up on updating this! Just last weekend my son and I went out for a quick overnight camp before it starts getting too hot here in the desert. Not worth brining the full trailer. In fact I think that going forward, if it is just my son and I (+/- dog) for short trips we are going to stick with the ground tent and not the full trailer.

This project has been on my mind for a while. Despite getting the Raingler net for keeping the dog in the back I was planning some trips with both kids. I use a kid backpack carrier for my toddler and those things are bulky. I got to thinking that if I had second row Captain's chairs then my dog could ride in between the kids easier and free up more cargo space. On the GXOR facebook page someone pointed out that the Prado 120 has a 60/40 split second row that is split opposite ours. I tracked down a 40 section on Aussie eBay and asked the seller if they would be willing to look at shipping quotes for me. All in it was $775 US to buy it and ship.

But as you can see there was a problem. The rear had two anchor points, but only one lined up with our GX floor. The outboard one had nothing so I ended up cutting most of it off to get it to level. The inboard one fit close enough. However the front inboard mount didn't line up at all. I took it to a local machine and fab shop and for $150 they were able to weld on a new piece to get it to work. The result is pseudo Captain's chairs! I still need to test out dual car seats and dog in the middle. The good news is with the open floor anchor I can still anchor my dog in her harness so she doesn't become a missile into the front of the cab.

This really opens up interior configurations. I can run the full bench or the 40/40. I can also run 3rd row with "improved" leg room in the middle. We have a few weekend trips coming up where we will play with configurations.

Another mod I went with was the side gate table. One of my Cub Packs is kept stocked with a small backpacking stove and cook kit. This can be used at any time while traveling and doesn't require the full camp to be set up. I also picked up a couple of the side attachments for the Rhino Batwing to increase shade opportunity when you either can't position the truck optimally or are parked long enough that the sun moves a lot.

1. Which dropdown table did you go with? I'm considering this one, FYI.
  2. Overall, what do you think of the Go camp trailer? I've looked at that thing for years and always assumed it would be too lightweight for winter camping but.....what do I know?
I camped once out at Kofa with a buddy probably........3 years ago (?). I doubt I'll ever head back but cool to see another Az guy with a GX here. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom