Cooper Discoverer STT in a 255/85-16? (1 Viewer)

Would you purchase Discoverer STT 255/85-16?

• Yes; they'd be perfect for me!

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • No; I love my (reply with brand and size)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yes; if they came in at a good price point

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Maybe; (explain)

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If the beloved Cooper Discoverer STT came in a 255/85-16, would you buy a set?
How likely?

I'm in the market for tires in that size and, as you all know, the options are limited. The Toyo Open Country MTs are on "galactic back-order", leaving BFG KM2s, the Cooper ST, Maxxis, Trxus, and a few Cooper offspring.

The Toyos appealed to me the most but I can't get them. My back-up plan includes the STT in a 285/75-16 and I emailed Cooper to see how much they weigh; I also queried the possibility of a future 255/85.

Their response:

Pam from Cooper Tire said:
The Cooper Discoverer STT size LT285/75R16 weighs approx. 56 lbs. Will
we ever offer size LT255/85R16? If the market demands the size Cooper
will build it, currently the market doesn't demand it. Feel free to
check back with us. The market is always changing.

Pam
Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.
800-854-6288 M-F 8-5 est.

Please answer the poll and contact as many people as you can that might be interested. I'm going to reply to Pam and ask her to monitor this thread. I personally feel this would be the perfect tire for people like us; an affordable overlanding tire.

CooperDiscovererSTT.jpg

What are you doing over here Hill? The Cooper STT has jumped up in price since the last time I checked, as did the Cooper ST in the 255 size.

A

I don't know what rig you're running. I have the 80 series and run the LT265/75 R16 size which is the closest LT to the stock P275/70 R16 size, roughly 31" in diameter. If I was to change for off road performance it would be 33" or 35" tires. I don't see much advantage to running the 255/85 R16s that you're talking about, at least for me. Nothing against Cooper. I think they're a good tire. Maybe if the deal was sweet, but it would have to be a hell of a deal!

Also, I don't know if how much snow and ice you drive in, in your part of Georgia. The GDT Icelanders that I run are just what I need for the roads here plus the off roading that I do and luckily for me come in the size that I need. My SIG line has a thread to browse for this tire with a link to get more info about them.

Last edited:
I'd be mighty tempted to buy those in 255/85/16s. The S/Ts on the truck have about a year left before I'll need a new set of tires. The STT (and the Toyo MT, and the BFG KM2) are tires I'd love to try if I had the money to burn.

The 33" height of the 255/85 without the A-arm (and inner fender) rubbing width is the bonus of running that size over the similar height, but wider 285/75.

I have a Jeep JK with 285/75-16 Goodyear MTR/Kevlars right now; they're great tires but have quite a bit of weight and rolling resistance.
I'll be mounting 255/85-16 BFG KM2s in the next couple of days, an inch narrower and 12 pounds lighter.
With an upcoming cross-country road trip next month (pulling a trailer), I'm hoping to save at least 1 mpg ---- critical fuel management for overlanding in Arizona...

100_3142.jpg

i ran them on a couple work trucks and they were a great tire. Great for all weahter conditions, ice, snow, rain and tough for all the mining conditions we saw. I'd buy them again for sure!

yes..

Im a big fan of the Toyo M55 255/85-16. Not cheap but a great tire that does it all!

c
IMG_0638.jpg

Well, here are the 255/85-16 KM2s on my Jeep. Discount Tire had a promotional thing going on and I wound up paying $166/tire plus mounting.
Would've rather had Toyos or Cooper STTs though...

016.jpg

020-1.jpg

030.jpg

Well, here are the 255/85-16 KM2s on my Jeep. Discount Tire had a promotional thing going on and I wound up paying $166/tire plus mounting.
Would've rather had Toyos or Cooper STTs though...

016.jpg

020-1.jpg

030.jpg

Is that second picture Old Bucktown rd......behind Amicalola Falls State Park?

Also, just curious, why did you want STTs so bad over the KM2s?

Is that second picture Old Bucktown rd......behind Amicalola Falls State Park?

Also, just curious, why did you want STTs so bad over the KM2s?

Im going to guess yes to the 1st question and venture to say that he might have wanted the similar pattern of the Toyo MT that the cooper resembles instead of the KM2. The cooper would be less expensive than the Toyo MT and likley on par in price to the KM2. This is all speculation but he also bee a money is no object kind of guy as he has 2 sets of offroad tires. :meh:.

A

Yes, Old Bucktown.

The KM2s are the narrowest of the 255/85-16; would've preferred the Toyo/STT footprint.
Chalk it up to a Coke/Pepsi style of preference ---- I just never liked BFGs all that much for some reason. Can't put my finger on it.

I don't have a second set of tires for the Jeep; I have two sets for my MINI though.
The Goodyears were down to about 30% and I wanted more rubber than that for the road-trip; the MTRs were donated to Gunny's 4Runner:

This is the perfect size for my Pinzgauer. I like them a lot more than the Interco Super Swamper TrXus M/T's 255/85-R16's I have now.

I run the Cooper SSTs in a 315 75 R16, Smooth and quiet on the highway. The little sipes on the block of the tread helps under icy conditions. I found them to be good at self cleaning ie wet packed snow and dirt. Even aired down the 3 ply sidewall flexed well.
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 020.jpg

If I weren't planning on moving up to 315s a 255/85R16 STT would be a definite contender for me.

I have a Jeep JK with 285/75-16 Goodyear MTR/Kevlars right now; they're great tires but have quite a bit of weight and rolling resistance.
I'll be mounting 255/85-16 BFG KM2s in the next couple of days, an inch narrower and 12 pounds lighter............

I have been comparing the 2 sizes and there's really not that much difference in size (fractions of an inch). The 255/85-16 is narrower, but my tire calulator doesn't tell me how much. So the rolling resistance and weight must be inherent to the Goodyears.

I must apologize to you, Bill. I kinda blew the 255/85-16 size off as a size I was not interested in. But, I see that is a true 33" height tire. So many damn different tire sizes make it confusing. You can have tires very close to the same size and have 2 completely different sets of numbers.:bang:
Edit: I just reviewed tire size explanation. I guess it's a good thing to have so many choices. It's no wonder some parts of the world carry a limited choice in tire sizes.

I can't afford a set of any new 33" tires at this time, but I found a set of used 255/85-16s that were run on a E350 Ford van. They're AT SXT, load range D. 3 of them are on 8 lug rims and he was wanting $400 for 3 rims and 4 tires. I've got him talked down to $250 for just the tires. I don't know the brand and he's estimating 40% left on the tread. A pic of the tread on Craig's list looks like he's telling the truth on the tread. I'm going to take a look at them Monday. He's a retired mechanic and has a tire changer and balancer and has offered to mount & balance all 4 for $40.

Last edited:
No one in this thread is talking much about the Maxxis Bighorns. I'm running them on my FJ40 (255/85/16) and I really like the tire - maybe more than my KM2's. But since they are on two very different trucks, there's quite a lot of variability in my comparison. The KM2's are nice, but dare I say they might be too skinny...

I love the "Special Service" Super Swamper in the 34x9.5 size. It provides a huge increase in off-road traction and durability compared to...well, everything. :D But it's not as street-friendly as the typical radial mud-terrain is. It's great for off-road trailers and non-daily driver 4x4s like my Pinzgauer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom