coolant questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. A lot of advocacy for Toyota's coolants; why? What are the advantages as compared to some of the gen 4 pH neutral coolants?

2. search shows "red" is full strength; "pink" half strength; is this accurate? what temps are guiding which choice?

3. Other recommendations before I flush and fill?

thanks

Last edited:
I believe the red antifreeze only pertains to Toyotas newer vehicles. I've always used the good old green stuff without issue. Pretty horrible avatar....

I will not pass that avatar opinion on to my dear wife as she may pumpkin you...

The oem red is good if you dilute it 50%.

The oem pink is for new vehicles that have alot of plastic in the system. Not recomended for older cruisers.

The old green prestone and whatnot is good as well. The key is using distilled water to get the minerals out of the system to help prevent corrosion.

ANY coolant- including the cheapest thing you can buy closest to you-

under 2 years old,

is better than any coolant more than 4 years old.

So the best? Fresh. And using the same stuff year in and year out is good, too.

That's my take. Worth every penny you paid for it!

t

Coolant comes in two ways.....in Europe that is. The first is based on salts and the minimum temp is -26 Celsius. The second is based on glycol with minimum temp -36 Celcius. The second is better because salts corrode the parts inside the cooling system and Glycol doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom